Thread poster: Sherefedin MUSTAFA

Sherefedin MUSTAFA
Netherlands
Local time: 19:03
English to Macedonian
+ ...
Aug 29, 2008

Dear all,

When I try to open a Power Point file in TagEditor I get an error message saying that Tag Editor has encountered an error and must shut down.

I use SDL Trados 2007 in Windows XP.
Have reinstalled Trados but still have the same problem.

Can you please explain to me what preparations I have to do before I start translating a .ppt file in TagEditor.

TIA for your kind suggestions and help.

Sherefedin

Direct link Reply with quote

Mari Noller
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:03
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Filter? Aug 29, 2008

Have you checked your filters?

http://talisma.sdl.com/display/2n/articleDirect/index.aspx?aid=2209&r=0.7423651

Sherefedin MUSTAFA
Netherlands
English to Macedonian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Done so Aug 29, 2008

Hi Mari,

Have followed the instruction given in your link.
Do I have now to check the filters somewhere? how?

TIA

Mari Noller
United Kingdom
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Filter Settings Aug 29, 2008

Trados has its own program for filter settings, called Filter Settings. You can find it in the Trados folder.

My problem with Powerpoint files was that I didn't have the filter on my PC, so I had to copy it in from somewhere else.
But it should state some error message (with a specific error number such as 80001) when you try to open the file (mine said the filter was missing).

[Edited at 2008-08-29 12:00]

Sherefedin MUSTAFA
Netherlands
English to Macedonian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tag Editor shuts down Aug 29, 2008

My problem is that whenever I try to open a .ppt file I get a Microsoft error message saying that an error has occurred and Tag Editor has to shut down.

Mari Noller
United Kingdom
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Microsoft Aug 29, 2008

Ah, you didn't say it was a Microsoft error message before.

I'm not sure how to fix that problem. Do you have all the latest updates for XP?
I know that the problem in Vista with the spellchecker in TagEditor is that Vista thinks the program has crashed because it's taking a little longer to respond (Windows knows best) and therefore kills the program. I have heard that it's possible to get Windows to stop doing this but I'm not sure how.

All I can say is that I have been able to open .ppt files in TagEditor in XP before, so it must be a local problem on your PC. You don't happen to have access to a second PC?
If not, have you asked your client for help? If it's an agency they often have a technical department with skilled people who have dealt with most Trados errors in the past.

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Versions, versions, versions? Aug 29, 2008

Sherefedin MUSTAFA wrote:

My problem is that whenever I try to open a .ppt file I get a Microsoft error message saying that an error has occurred and Tag Editor has to shut down.

Hi Mustafa,

What version is the file? Ie which version of Powerpoint was it created in?

Also, are you able to open it in Powerpoint on your computer? VWhich version do you have installed.

Of you can open it, experiment in "downsaving" it into older PPT versions, sometimes that help.

Also, for the sake of troubleshooting: are you able to analyze/wordcount the file in Trados TWB? Or do you get an error message?

/J

Sherefedin MUSTAFA
Netherlands
English to Macedonian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Version Aug 30, 2008

Hi Jan,

J-a-n S-ndstr-m wrote:

What version is the file? Ie which version of Powerpoint was it created in?

Its a .ppt of 967 kb. I am not familiar with PowerPoint presentations, this is the very first one I have ever get to translate, but I suppose it's a recent format. When I try to downsave it to a older version 97-2003 I get a warning saying that the conversion can not be made.

Also, are you able to open it in Powerpoint on your computer? VWhich version do you have installed.
Of you can open it, experiment in "downsaving" it into older PPT versions, sometimes that help.

Yes, I can open the file in my Office 2003 version of PowerPoint.

Also, for the sake of troubleshooting: are you able to analyze/wordcount the file in Trados TWB? Or do you get an error message?

In TWB I have analyzed the file without problems or warnings.

Could you please tell me where can I find/settle/arrange the powerpont filters and do I have to save or install somewhere in tyhe system a PowerPoint sample which allows Trados to deal with .ppt files?

Thank you.
Sh

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Powepoint 2007? Sep 9, 2008

Sherefedin MUSTAFA wrote:
I am not familiar with PowerPoint presentations, this is the very first one I have ever get to translate, but I suppose it's a recent format. When I try to downsave it to a older version 97-2003 I get a warning saying that the conversion can not be made.

In TWB I have analyzed the file without problems or warnings.

Could you please tell me where can I find/settle/arrange the powerpont filters and do I have to save or install somewhere in tyhe system a PowerPoint sample which allows Trados to deal with .ppt files?

The strange part here is the fact that TWB manage to analyze it, but TagEditor won't open it. This is a nut for SDL support to crack!

You can fiddle with the Filter Settings through the Start Menu, but no matter how, the filter settings won't change the fact that TE chokes on the file. Changing the filter settings won't make the error message go away.

If you still want to do more troubleshooting on your own, it's a good suggestion as you said to download a trial of Powerpoint 2007.

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Some magic differences between Workbench and Tag Editor... Sep 9, 2008

J-a-n S-ndstr-m wrote:

The strange part here is the fact that TWB manage to analyze it, but TagEditor won't open it. This is a nut for SDL support to crack! [...] [/quote]

Shit happens sometimes.
Probably it's due to the fact that Workbench don't needs to display the file.

Try to pretlanslate the file in Workbench.
In this case, Workbench will create a TTX file you'll be probably able to open it in TE.

If you prefer the DVX workflow, check the case "Segment unknown sentences"

PS.
Test the TTX i.e. try to clean up the file before you start the translation.

Cheers
GG

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Before translating a PowerPoint file in TagEditor

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums