https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/114512-sdlx%3A_colour_formatting_in_itd_file.html

SDLX: colour formatting in itd-file
Thread poster: Hester Eymers
Hester Eymers
Hester Eymers  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 22:10
Member (2005)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Sep 5, 2008

Is it possible to leave the colour formatting unaffected when converting a word (or other) document to itd? My client marks passages that don't need to be translated in blue or red, and it would be handy to be able to see this colours when working on the itd file, instead of having to revert to the word document every few lines.

Thanks in advance!

Annelise Meyer
Annelise Meyer  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
should not be a problem Sep 5, 2008

Hi Hester,

given the time when you wrote this message, you might have answered the question yourself already... SDLX does consider the usual Word formatting when you convert a doc file into an ITD and so, although the text colour won't be clearly visible in the ITD (it will be the standard colour), you may have format painting tags (either in the form of tags or colours, depending on the view mode you pick). Thes tags allow you to identify any text whose formatting (bold, italic, co
... See more
Hi Hester,

given the time when you wrote this message, you might have answered the question yourself already... SDLX does consider the usual Word formatting when you convert a doc file into an ITD and so, although the text colour won't be clearly visible in the ITD (it will be the standard colour), you may have format painting tags (either in the form of tags or colours, depending on the view mode you pick). Thes tags allow you to identify any text whose formatting (bold, italic, colour) is different from the rest of the text in the document. All you have to do is "copy-paste" them in the target text. Hope it helps,

Annelise
Collapse

Hester Eymers
Netherlands
Member (2005)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem not yet solved Sep 5, 2008

Hi Annelise,

No, I still haven't figured it out. I have tried changing the way tags are displayed, as you suggested, but although I can see font changes, I can't see colour changes. Maybe I'm missing something?

Annelise Meyer
Annelise Meyer  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Oops Sep 5, 2008

Hi Hester,

I am sorry, I misread your first message. So you want to be able to identify the segments that SHOULD NOT be translated. Well in SDLX I don't see any solution except a "tricky" one: 1) search and delete any colour-marked sentence in the original word doc and save the new version under a different name
2) create a new ITD from the new doc.
3) Translate the new ITD
4) create a TM and update it with the translated ITD.
5) apply it to the ITD contain
... See more
Hi Hester,

I am sorry, I misread your first message. So you want to be able to identify the segments that SHOULD NOT be translated. Well in SDLX I don't see any solution except a "tricky" one: 1) search and delete any colour-marked sentence in the original word doc and save the new version under a different name
2) create a new ITD from the new doc.
3) Translate the new ITD
4) create a TM and update it with the translated ITD.
5) apply it to the ITD containing the whole (original) word doc and convert it back to Word.

Good solution, except that you won't be able to work in context, and you have to check it in the original Word file...
Another solution, in case these non-translatable sentences are not too many, would be to convert the whole word doc into an ITD, then look for these sentences and lock them in the ITD so you can simply pass them during translation.
No more ideas...

Annelise
Collapse

Hester Eymers
Netherlands
Member (2005)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Locking might do the trick Sep 5, 2008

Hi Annelise,

Untill now I kept one eye on my other computer screen (with the word document open), to check what to translate. Next time I'll try locking the segments, that might be easier.

Thank you for your help!

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 23:10
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Put some marker Sep 5, 2008

You could put a certain character in front of every line that should not be translated. Perhaps this character would be formatted differently from the rest. Then it would stick out in Editor and you will avoid touching this segment.
But if their are more than one sentence in every part, sdlx will segment them apart. So I would put a strange character instead of the space after a full stop.

Then in editor you will have a text that sticks out very clearly:

Sentence.
... See more
You could put a certain character in front of every line that should not be translated. Perhaps this character would be formatted differently from the rest. Then it would stick out in Editor and you will avoid touching this segment.
But if their are more than one sentence in every part, sdlx will segment them apart. So I would put a strange character instead of the space after a full stop.

Then in editor you will have a text that sticks out very clearly:

Sentence.€Sentence.€Sentence.€Sentence.€

How about that?

After translation of course you must remove the "€"s.

Regards
Heinrich
Collapse

Hester Eymers
Netherlands
Member (2005)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Sep 8, 2008

Hi Heinrich,

Thanks for the advise. Next time I'll try both and see what works best for me.

Kind regards,
Hester

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDLX: colour formatting in itd-file

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »