Sherefedin MUSTAFA
Sherefedin MUSTAFA
Netherlands
Local time: 07:23
Dutch to Albanian
+ ...
Sep 7, 2008

Hi,
Is there a way to monitor progress of your work in TE.
Especially while working on large files it seems quite useful to me to get some project information such as: x% of total number of words or something like that.

BTW, does TE offer the possibility to “accept” a match among a number of found matches, such as in DéjàVu by a simple click on it?

TIA

[Edited at 2008-09-07 12:34]

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 06:23
German to English
+ ...
Since you seem to be a DV user.... Sep 7, 2008

I would ask why you don't just do your TTX files from TagEditor in DV. Life is usually easier that way.

If I happen to be working in TE, I track my progress by running an analysis on the TTX file with Workbench from time to time. That also updates me on fuzzies that started off as no matches.

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Unlike in DVX... Sep 7, 2008

Sherefedin MUSTAFA wrote:

Is there a way to monitor progress of your work in TE.
Especially while working on large files it seems quite useful to me to get some project information such as: x% of total number of words or something like that.

Unlike in DVX, no direct way.
Analyze the file in Workbench or use Synergy to manage this kind of projects.
Personally, I hate Synergy but it may be interesting for automating some tasks in large, complex jobs.

BTW, does TE offer the possibility to “accept” a match among a number of found matches, such as in DéjàVu by a simple click on it?

No simple clicks here

I.e. you click on Workbench, then click on the arrows on the left pane in order to select the best match.
Then go back to TE and click "Get translation".

As you see it's considerably slower than the Ctrl+number shortcuts in DVX

Cheers
GG

Sherefedin MUSTAFA
Sherefedin MUSTAFA
Netherlands
Dutch to Albanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sounds quite optimistic... Sep 7, 2008

Hi Kevin,

Kevin Lossner wrote:
I would ask why you don't just do your TTX files from TagEditor in DV.

Must admit that I haven't use my DV since I decided to join the Trados hype which, indeed, has only complicated my life.

Are you quite sure about the compatibility of TTX formats in a DV surrounding? Have always thought that producers of rivaling software invent all kind of "excuses" to undermine similar compatibilities.

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

Absolutely agree with you Grzegorz: much slower and complicated.

[Edited at 2008-09-07 14:10]

Kevin Lossner
Portugal
German to English
+ ...
Trust me - it works Sep 7, 2008

Must admit that I haven't use my DV since I decided to join the Trados hype which, indeed, has only complicated my life.
Are you quite sure about the compatibility of TTX formats in a DV surrounding?

I do this every day. In fact, I'm doing it again right now, translating a pile of Word files as pre-segmented TTX in Déjà Vu X. For the job I'm doing now, the work goes much, much faster that way, though I have to be careful to check the numbers in light blue propagated segments.

Take a look at my profile. On the "How To" tab you'll find a bunch of miscellaneous guides I've written, spreadsheet tools, etc. Items 4-6 in the current list will give you information about using DVX for projects involving Trados. One of the links specifically covers TTX files.

There are a huge number of DVX users who do this. In some cases, I actually have no choice - I have a few clients who send me TTX files prepared with Trados v8, and I can't do a thing with them with my version of Trados (7.5), but there is no problem at all using DVX. In those cases I simply tell the client to pre-segment the file for me.

If you are given a Workbench TM to work with, pre-segment using that, then export the content into a DVX TM to use for concordance reference while you work.

Unless you screw up by deleting a critical code from the source, there's nothing that can go wrong, really. In fact, I use this method when I have Word files that are heavily laden with graphics, because these often choke DV if imported as MS Word files or RTF. So many times the combination of tools gives the best solution!

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Use keyboard shortcuts for that Sep 7, 2008

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:
I.e. you click on Workbench, then click on the arrows on the left pane in order to select the best match.
Then go back to TE and click "Get translation".

Cheers
GG

Just use ALT+PgUp/PgDn to scroll between the matches in Workbench and insert the chosen one by pressing ALT+SHIFT+INS. Not significantly slower as elswhere.

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
An undocumented shortcut in TE... Sep 7, 2008

Kevin Lossner wrote:

Trados has some advantages (e.g QA plugins and validators) but when you switch from DVX, the translation environment is a pain in the arse.

Are you quite sure about the compatibility of TTX formats in a DV surrounding?

IMHO perfect.
I.e. in DV3 or in an early build of DVX , I had a problem with tags at the beginning of the segment, when the tag was moved in DVX, the output TTX was corrupted.

If you preserve the tags order, no problems at all.
As the DVX tagging is less flexible than in TE, if necessary, you always can put chars like ### in DVX, then make the final touch in TE.

Have always thought that producers of rivaling software invent all kind of "excuses" to undermine similar compatibilities.

Trados TTX files are pure text (XML) files, so, with a good filter, no problem at all.
The DVX parser is really good.

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

Absolutely agree with you Grzegorz: much slower and complicated.

Aaaah.
I missed an undocumented shortcut.
Alt+PgUp, Alt+PgDown
It's faster but you see only one matching TU at a time, unlike in DVX.

PS.
Try to get the best of both worlds.
I almost always use mixed Trados-> DVX->Trados workflows.
E.g. for large XLS/PPT files with images, the TTX projects in DVX are smaller than pure XLS/PPT import.
Some TE plugins permit some QA/validation tests DVX doesn't offer, e.g. the checkof the 31 chars lenght limit in the sheet names in Excel.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2008-09-07 14:47]

Kevin Lossner
Portugal
German to English
+ ...
Use the tools available in both environments Sep 7, 2008

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:
Trados has some advantages (e.g QA plugins and validators) but when you switch from DVX, the translation environment is a pain in the arse.

There's nothing to keep you from using those validators, etc. in TE after you finish the job as well as patch up any screwy segments. I usually make running notes in DVX using the comment function, then export a to-do list for myself for things to deal with in TagEditor (if necessary).

Another thing worth pointing out is that you aren't blocked from exporting a TTX file from DVX if the codes/tags don't match (unlike for other file types). So if you have foolishly forgotten to take out stuff like optional hyphens in the source (or you want to leave them in for some reason), you can just delete those codes with impunity in the DVX target text. You'll see the icon for a "wrong codes" row, but it won't affect the export. Just make sure you know what you're deleting.

I also find that DVX is useful for Trados jobs when I need to check that I am using "mandatory" terminology. There are ways to do this in TE, but I find DVX more flexible in this regard.

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
DVX Sep 7, 2008

Kevin Lossner wrote:

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

There's nothing to keep you from using those validators, etc. in TE after you finish the job as well as patch up any screwy segments.

Yes, it's exactly what I want to say.
You can even reimport the exported file and test it or continue the work in DVX

I usually make running notes in DVX using the comment function, then export a to-do list for myself for things to deal with in TagEditor (if necessary).

Yep.
Generally, I use TE to make the final revisions.
As the work in TE is sensibly slower, I pay more attention

Another thing worth pointing out is that you aren't blocked from exporting a TTX file from DVX if the codes/tags don't match (unlike for other file types).
So if you have foolishly forgotten to take out stuff like optional hyphens in the source (or you want to leave them in for some reason), you can just delete those codes with impunity in the DVX target text.
You'll see the icon for a "wrong codes" row, but it won't affect the export. Just make sure you know what you're deleting.

True.
But if you have too much red error marks and you have delated an important code, it may be difficult to find it rapidly.
In very few cases, the output TTX with messed codes may be unreadable for TE, so why I prefer to preserve the codes if possible.

I also find that DVX is useful for Trados jobs when I need to check that I am using "mandatory" terminology. There are ways to do this in TE, but I find DVX more flexible in this regard.

Although the large terms recognition for heavily inflected languages (e.g. for Polish) works better in Trados.

Cheers
GG

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 09:23
English to Turkish
+ ...
I use Deja Vu Sep 7, 2008

Kevin Lossner wrote:

Are you quite sure about the compatibility of TTX formats in a DV surrounding? Have always thought that producers of rivaling software invent all kind of "excuses" to undermine similar compatibilities.

I have Trados as well, and used it for years. But I prefer Deja Vu especially for TTX files.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 13:23
English to Thai
+ ...
SDLX Sep 8, 2008

I wonder we did not discuss using TTX in SDLX. SDL International has a good document to switch between using SDLX and TE. In SDLX, you can check translation progress sealiy.
My tip:
1. Create TTX file with TE.
2. Pretranslate and coly all non-match with source segments in TE (or no *.itd file is made for staristics, segments etc. used in SDL Edit.
3. Use SDLX Exchange program to switch between SDL Edit and TTTX.
4. USD SDL Edit>View>Statustics to check translation
... See more
I wonder we did not discuss using TTX in SDLX. SDL International has a good document to switch between using SDLX and TE. In SDLX, you can check translation progress sealiy.
My tip:
1. Create TTX file with TE.
2. Pretranslate and coly all non-match with source segments in TE (or no *.itd file is made for staristics, segments etc. used in SDL Edit.
3. Use SDLX Exchange program to switch between SDL Edit and TTTX.
4. USD SDL Edit>View>Statustics to check translation progress.

Regards,
SL
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Monitoring progress in TE

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »