Translation of Japanese segments in SDL Trados 2007
Thread poster: makenaiboy (X)
makenaiboy (X)
makenaiboy (X)
Japanese to English
Sep 10, 2008

I have a question regarding translating Japanese sentences in Trados. Japanese sentence order is often reversed and sometimes needs to be translated with using the end of the sentence first. Using a basic example:

風邪をひいたので、
学校を休みました。

When using Trados to translate this sentence, the line break causes Trados to check only the first segment against the TM when I select Open/Get in Microsft Word(if there is no line break it checks
... See more
I have a question regarding translating Japanese sentences in Trados. Japanese sentence order is often reversed and sometimes needs to be translated with using the end of the sentence first. Using a basic example:

風邪をひいたので、
学校を休みました。

When using Trados to translate this sentence, the line break causes Trados to check only the first segment against the TM when I select Open/Get in Microsft Word(if there is no line break it checks the whole sentence).

How can I tell Trados to treat it as once whole segment / sentence? Or what is the best process to follow here?

i.e. If I wanted to translate the above as "I had a cold, so I didn’t go to school", there is no issue as the segment order is the same but what if I wanted to translate this as

“I didn’t go to school because I had a cold”? The English sentence order is reversed I’m unsure how to handle this case in Trados. If I enter the segments into translation like this I’ll get 2 segments

1. I didn’t go to school because
2. I had a cold

This means I’m putting segments into the TM in the wrong order. How can I work around this?

Thanks
Collapse

Nadja Balogh
Nadja Balogh  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:20
Member (2007)
Japanese to German
+ ...
I don't know either, but... Sep 11, 2008

Hi Makenaiboy,

I've been asking myself the same question, but - being quite new to Trados - haven't come up with an answer yet.

I have a suggestion though: There must be other language pairs with similar issues, so why don't you try and post the question again without referring to Japanese specifically? Maybe this way we could get at least some hints about what to do...

Nadja

makenaiboy (X)
makenaiboy (X)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your suggestion and reply Sep 11, 2008

Good idea, i'll try that. Before I try that, i'll try one more avenue. Either way, i'll post back shortly

David Rigert (X)
David Rigert (X)
Local time: 05:20
Japanese to English
Edit the source Sep 17, 2008

The only way I have found is to combine the sentences before you open them in Trados. You can either remove the hard return so it is all on one line, or insert a soft return if it needs to be on separate lines.

makenaiboy wrote:

風邪をひいたので、
学校を休みました。

When using Trados to translate this sentence, the line break causes Trados to check only the first segment against the TM when I select Open/Get in Microsft Word(if there is no line break it checks the whole sentence).

How can I tell Trados to treat it as once whole segment / sentence? Or what is the best process to follow here?

i.e. If I wanted to translate the above as "I had a cold, so I didn’t go to school", there is no issue as the segment order is the same but what if I wanted to translate this as

“I didn’t go to school because I had a cold”? The English sentence order is reversed I’m unsure how to handle this case in Trados. If I enter the segments into translation like this I’ll get 2 segments

1. I didn’t go to school because
2. I had a cold

This means I’m putting segments into the TM in the wrong order. How can I work around this?

Thanks

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation of Japanese segments in SDL Trados 2007

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »