Footnotes and fuzzy matches
Thread poster: Lucía Bermúdez Carballo (X)
Lucía Bermúdez Carballo (X)
Lucía Bermúdez Carballo (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:30
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 10, 2008

Hi everyone!
I have just finished translating (English-Spanish) a big word doc with lots of footnotes and have recently noticed that my Trados toolbar has disappeared and have finally managed to fix it. I read in other posts that this might be related to an unappropriate use of footnotes and I would like to know what I did wrong!
I am aware that I did not follow the standard translation order for fuzzy matches in the main text (once, I think I quite plainly copied the superscript ref
... See more
Hi everyone!
I have just finished translating (English-Spanish) a big word doc with lots of footnotes and have recently noticed that my Trados toolbar has disappeared and have finally managed to fix it. I read in other posts that this might be related to an unappropriate use of footnotes and I would like to know what I did wrong!
I am aware that I did not follow the standard translation order for fuzzy matches in the main text (once, I think I quite plainly copied the superscript reference in the main text from the source into the goal segment. I blush to think of that!).
When I started realising how dirty that procedure was, I changed it and did the following:
1. I copied my fuzzy match into a blank doc.
2. I copied the source (alt+insert) into the goal segment.
3. I recopied the fuzzy match from the blank doc back into the goal segment (thus overwriting the English and preserving the superscript reference).
I hope my explanation is clear enough. Thanks!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Footnotes and fuzzy matches

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »