Footnotes and fuzzy matches
Thread poster: Lucía Bermúdez Carballo
Lucía Bermúdez Carballo  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:27
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 10, 2008

Hi everyone!
I have just finished translating (English-Spanish) a big word doc with lots of footnotes and have recently noticed that my Trados toolbar has disappeared and have finally managed to fix it. I read in other posts that this might be related to an unappropriate use of footnotes and I would like to know what I did wrong!
I am aware that I did not follow the standard translation order for fuzzy matches in the main text (once, I think I quite plainly copied the superscript reference in the main text from the source into the goal segment. I blush to think of that!).
When I started realising how dirty that procedure was, I changed it and did the following:
1. I copied my fuzzy match into a blank doc.
2. I copied the source (alt+insert) into the goal segment.
3. I recopied the fuzzy match from the blank doc back into the goal segment (thus overwriting the English and preserving the superscript reference).
I hope my explanation is clear enough. Thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Footnotes and fuzzy matches

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs