After you've learned basic features of SDL Trados, what's next?
Thread poster: xxxVivianaP
xxxVivianaP
Argentina
Local time: 09:03
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 10, 2008

I'm new to Trados and I've already read Life Jensen's tutorial and already learned how to use basic features of Trados 2007. What else can I do to make a proper use of the software?

Direct link Reply with quote

sivtufte  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 14:03
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Practise Sep 10, 2008

When I started I just played along with texts from various places, within my fields. Pick some you find interesting and go ahead - translate, edit, print, wiew etc. Fun to learn from. Also you could find webinars - I assume they give lessons to practise.

Stuart Dowell  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2007)
Polish to English
+ ...
Certification Sep 11, 2008

You could study for and take certification exams.

This would introduce you to many new features and possibilities in a structured way.

Seamus Moran  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Does it work? Sep 11, 2008

I heard Trados is a nightmare when you start to use it - is this true? I have downloaded Wordfast because of the scare stories I have heard....

Poland
Member (2007)
Polish to English
+ ...
Yes it works, when it works Sep 11, 2008

My experience is that it works well.

It should be remembered that Trados is an extremely powerful and sophisticated set of tools and it takes time and skill to learn how to apply them well.

I think a lot of people have problems with strange sounding error messages and it puts them off. Overcoming these kinds of issues can be a way to understand the various applications better.

[Edited at 2008-09-11 09:55]

Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Problems that should not be there in the first place Sep 11, 2008

stuart dowell wrote:
I think a lot of people have problems with strange sounding error messages and it puts them off. Overcoming these kinds of issues can be a way to understand the various applications better.

I am sorry, but this reminds me of an old joke: "Communism allows to solve problems which in other social systems do not occur at all".

I've learned to cope with various problems that Trados throws at me, but I do not feel that it is beneficial to my computer education. The problems should not be there from the start - if the program complains about an "Unexpected error", that clearly means that the coders have not predicted that this might occur - in other words, they messed up.

Poland
Member (2007)
Polish to English
+ ...
Good joke Sep 11, 2008

I am sorry, but this reminds me of an old joke: "Communism allows to solve problems which in other social systems do not occur at all".

I've learned to cope with various problems that Trados throws at me, but I do not feel that it is beneficial to my computer education. The problems should not be there from the start - if the program complains about an "Unexpected error", that clearly means that the coders have not predicted that this might occur - in other words, they messed up.

Good joke!!

I know what you mean about the problems that shouldn't be there.

There are other situations in which Trados doesn't do what you expect it do but it is not a programming problem, rather it requires the user to fiddle around in settings menus and turn things on or off. In that way you can learn something new about it.

Trados isn't a tool that can be mastered straight away and I think the learning curve fustrates a lot of users.

xxxVivianaP
Argentina
Local time: 09:03
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sep 11, 2008

Thank you all for your comments. Actually I needed more practical solutions but thanks anyway. I'll try some tutorials and see how it goes.

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 15:03
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Lots of consistent weak design Sep 11, 2008

Let's take only one: You are in Tageditor and fetch an nontranslatable from source to target segment. The cursor stays at the same place. So for the next nontranslatable you have first to move the cursor befor you can fetch the tag. In Wordfast the cursor moves automatically.
There are many weaknesses in Trados that have been there since ages and the developers don't care.
Regards
Heinrich

KSL Berlin  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:03
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
The next step... Sep 11, 2008

... would be to learn to use Déjà Vu X or MemoQ so you can do all those Trados jobs efficiently now It's a path well trodden.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

After you've learned basic features of SDL Trados, what's next?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums