Automatically expand tables in word using Trados?
Thread poster: Marius Feilberg Jacobsen
Marius Feilberg Jacobsen
Marius Feilberg Jacobsen  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 05:35
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Sep 11, 2008

Hi guys,

I am currently working on a project, where most of the information is table-based. When I now open a new segment in Word using Trados, the cells do not expand and the area I am translating is not visible. This obviously complicates things, as I am left with two options: Either manually expand each cell, enter the translation and contract the cell. Option two is to blindly enter the translation and correct any typos when I proof-read.

Does anybody know how to s
... See more
Hi guys,

I am currently working on a project, where most of the information is table-based. When I now open a new segment in Word using Trados, the cells do not expand and the area I am translating is not visible. This obviously complicates things, as I am left with two options: Either manually expand each cell, enter the translation and contract the cell. Option two is to blindly enter the translation and correct any typos when I proof-read.

Does anybody know how to solve this issue or do I really have to bite the bullet and do everything manually?

Marius

[Edited at 2008-09-11 13:23]
Collapse

Boris Kimel
Boris Kimel  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 06:35
English to Russian
+ ...
Expand the whole table Sep 12, 2008

Select the whole table (from the Word "Table" menu) and unset row height prior to translation. This is what I do. A drawback is that one might need to set the height again after cleaning to retain formatting.

Anthony Green
Anthony Green  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 05:35
Italian to English
+ ...
if formatting is important Sep 12, 2008

Boris Kimel wrote:

Select the whole table (from the Word "Table" menu) and unset row height prior to translation. This is what I do. A drawback is that one might need to set the height again after cleaning to retain formatting.

That's a nice solution Boris, I hadn't thought of that.
What I usually do is copy the tables into another file, convert them into text, translate them and then go back into the original and Translate to Fuzzy. That conserves the original height (which may be important) and can be done blind.

Anthony

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Automatically expand tables in word using Trados?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »