Very slow analysis (consistently and randomly)
Thread poster: Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Sep 12, 2008

In certain conditions Trados 8 FL analysis gets so slow that it does never reach the end of the file. This can happen in my Centrino Duo T2050 1.60GHz, Win XP SP2 + Office 2007 environment, with files of any size, indipendently from their format (.doc, .rtf).

This slowing down appears rather consistently when I try to determine how much work I still have by copying the untranslated end of a file in translation into another word file and I ask WB to run an analysis of this copy. I us
... See more
In certain conditions Trados 8 FL analysis gets so slow that it does never reach the end of the file. This can happen in my Centrino Duo T2050 1.60GHz, Win XP SP2 + Office 2007 environment, with files of any size, indipendently from their format (.doc, .rtf).

This slowing down appears rather consistently when I try to determine how much work I still have by copying the untranslated end of a file in translation into another word file and I ask WB to run an analysis of this copy. I usually get stuck in this way. If then I load the entire original file into the analysis, the latter works better (it takes a while but eventually works).

Slow/unfinished analysis can also happen randomly with other files.

I thought it was due to the combination of large TM (730K TUs) and small RAM (1MB), but I have now added another MB of RAM (tested, it seems to work fine) and I still get the same behaviour, even if I close all other windows. Task manager reports a large portion of physical RAM free while WB analysis is stuck.

TM import/export cycle does not help either!

Any suggestions?
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:48
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Possible big chunks of externalised/tagged text Sep 12, 2008

The only time I have had such a situation was when the document included big chunks of externalised paragraphs. Is it possible that your document contains that?

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:48
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
It may be one of the known Office problems Sep 13, 2008

This may be related to a known Microsoft problem, explained on the Trados website.

Here is the link:
http://talisma.sdl.com/display/2n/kb/article.aspx?aid=2211

And the explanation part:

Explanation
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in Microsoft Word 2007 as follows: "In Microsoft Office Word 2007, when you use a Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) macro to communicate with an application by using a COM interface, the macro takes a long time to finish. When you run the same macro in Microsoft Office Word 2003, the macro runs much faster." (Quote from Microsoft KB article 952701 at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/952701/en-us)[/quote]

You may want to read it and give it a try.
Katalin

Anne Bohy
Anne Bohy  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:48
English to French
Got the same problem... with Word 2003 Sep 13, 2008

In my case, it was always with special documents, prepared for the Web and containing hyperlinks.
I have discovered "accidentally" that if I was leaving the Analysis window open, after a very, very long time (half an hour?) it finally ended very quickly, and successfully.
More disturbing, such documents also had problems when cleaning. This means that in some cases I had a bilingual document... but could not produce the target document! Trados error...
In such case, the best I
... See more
In my case, it was always with special documents, prepared for the Web and containing hyperlinks.
I have discovered "accidentally" that if I was leaving the Analysis window open, after a very, very long time (half an hour?) it finally ended very quickly, and successfully.
More disturbing, such documents also had problems when cleaning. This means that in some cases I had a bilingual document... but could not produce the target document! Trados error...
In such case, the best I could do was to cut the source text and paste without format in another document, apply the TM to get the bilingual, clean, then cut and paste back (without format) the chunks in the original, and adjust the links... I hate Trados.

[Modifié le 2008-09-13 22:58]
Collapse

Luca Tutino
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Sep 13, 2008

Thank you all. I found very interesting the link provided by Katalin, although I find it strange that this hotfix would not be included in the automatic MS updates.

If I manage to to install the hotfix soon I will report the results here.

Cordially,
Luca

Luca Tutino
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
mixed results Feb 26, 2009

the promlem seem to be resolved for a while, than it resurfaces when you least expect it!!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Very slow analysis (consistently and randomly)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »