Thread poster: Katalin Horváth McClure

Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:31
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Sep 14, 2008

I have been fighting this problem forever, couldn't find anything about it in the Trados Help, so I thought I would ask here.
Does anyone know how to insert symbols into the text you are translating with Tageditor? There are buttons on the toolbar for em-dash, en-dash, copyright symbol and a few others, but what if I need to insert something else?
Specifically, I am having a lot of trouble with quotation marks.
In Hungarian, the quotation marks are different from the straight English type.
We start the quote with a quotation mark at the bottom of the line, and end with one at the top of the line, like this: „here is the quote”.
So far, I couldn't find a way to insert these when I work in Tageditor.
I either manually replace them after cleanup, or copy-paste them from Word while working in Tageditor.
None of these "workarounds" are real solutions, they waste time.

I cannot believe that there is no direct way of inserting such trivial symbols in Tageditor.
Anybody knows something that I don't?

Thanks
Katalin

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:31
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
No direct way I'm afraid Sep 14, 2008

so I use the ALT+NUM-combination method.
For example to insert a quitation mark like this „ I use ALT+0132, a quotation mark like this ” is ALT+0148 and so on.
One get's very fast used to it.
Only in some formats there is a possibility to customize the TAG toolbar in Tageditor, but I never tried that.

Best regards
Jerzy

Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 22:31
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
autotext Sep 14, 2008

You coud asign an autotext

I did the following and it worked:

1) I opened a translation segment and entered the lower quotation mark suggested by Jerzy: ALT+0132

2) I selected the quotation mark „ and went to TOOLS > AUTOTEXT, (also Alt + F3)
3) I entered the normal quotation mark ("). That's all! It worked!

Now, when yoo need the lower quotation mark „, you just click on the " of your keyboard and INMEDIATLY after, press the INTRO, or ACCEPT or OK key, (it depends on your keyboard). If you need the high quotation " for ending the sentences, after clicking on the " you insert a blank space, NOT the OK key.

I hope it helps.

Kind regards

Clarisa

[Edited at 2008-09-14 18:38]

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Try Quick Key Sep 14, 2008

Katalin, what you describe is exactly the problem that was driving me up the wall for a while, until I decided I would have it no more, and went out looking for a solution.

I stumbled upon Quick Key, a simple and user-friendly software distributed under a GPL licence (meaning it's free): http://nathanaeljones.com/quickkey/

Try it. I can't live without it anymore. It's basically a character map and it's entirely standalone, so you can use it in any window capable of accepting text input. You can also customize the sets of characters to fit your needs.

United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
QuickKey - yeppee!!! Sep 14, 2008

Thanks Victoria, I downloaded QuickKey and I like it a lot!
I created a very simple new charset, with two characters (the two quotation marks I need) and tried it, I like it.
It is just I can't believe that such a trivial thing is missing from Trados...

It should either intelligently modify the quotation marks according to the target language, or at least have an option to insert it...

Boyan Brezinsky  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 04:31
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
What's wrong with the character map in Windows? Sep 15, 2008

By default Windows is installed with a character map application. The quickest way to start it - Start -> Run -> charmap. Or, a slower way, Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Character Map.
Since I haven't tried the Quick Key mentioned above, I don't know how the two compare. Although from reading the description on the Quick Key site it looks like quite a flexible solution, and I might give it a try, when I need to insert pleny of different characters not available on the standard keyboard layout. But Character Map comes with Windows and it does the job.

United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The Character map in Windows - not too efficient Sep 15, 2008

I tried the Character map in Windows.
Maybe I don't know all its tricks, but it seems to me that you have to copy and paste from there into the window you are working with.
That requires far more clicks then Quickkey.
You need to click on Character map, select the character, click Copy and then click in the target window and paste (Ctrl+V). This is not easier than copying the necessary characters from let say a Word document (which is what I have been doing until now).

QuickKey does not require all that clicking. You can leave the cursor where you are in the window you are working on, click the character in the QuickKey table and it is inserted right away.
It is more efficient, IMHO.

Boyan Brezinsky  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 04:31
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
I agree Sep 15, 2008

I agree with all that, Windows Character Map is lacking, compared to Quick Key. And I didn't realize that after the opening quotes you need to insert the closing ones - which negates the possibility to copy a character to the clipboard (from whatever source) and just paste it from then on.
And I am more convinced now that I'll have to have that software in mind, if I need to type a text with a wider array of symbols. So I have to thank Viktoria for yet another great tip

Heike Behl, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:31
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
tag tool bar Sep 15, 2008

TagEditor offers several different quotes versions in the tag tool bar, those numbered red tag symbols. The quotes you're looking for are tag symbol 7 or Ctrl+7.
This tag tool bar is apparently also customizable; however, that function is grayed out in my current file (Word). But I remember having used that function in the past.

The disadvantage of those shortcuts is, though, that both opening and closing tag are placed at the same time, ie. you have to highlight the segment or set the symbols first and type inside.

Because of that, I have been using another tool, AutoHotkey, which - among other things - allows you to redefine keys and create custom shortcuts.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 03:31
English to Czech
+ ...
Character picker in TE Sep 16, 2008

Hi Katalin, I proposed to SDL Intl. that they incorporate a character picker in TagEditor. However, they seem to be a bit reluctant to do so, even though many translators work on laptops and entering ALT+ Number combinations is not so easy (above all on non-English keyboards).

[Upraveno: 2008-09-16 13:23]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to insert symbols in Tageditor?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs