Mobile menu

Error 31005: Database corrupt! Run Export, create a new TM, and reimport.
Thread poster: Penelope Ausejo

Penelope Ausejo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:24
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 15, 2008

Good morning,

I work with Trados 6.5 Freelance. I haven't had a problem with it before. Suddenly, last Friday, I was working with my main TM (personal one) and when I tried to use the "concordance function", I got this error --> Error 31005: Database corrupt! Run Export, create a new TM, and reimport.

I did as indicated, but nothing got fixed. I couldn't use the concordance function.

Yesterday afternoon, I was working with another TM and when I tried to use to Concordance, I got the same problem. Today I got an export from a client and created a new TM. The concordance function hasn't worked either.

Does anyone know why has this happened? Does anyone know how to solve this? Should I reinstall Trados again?

Many thanks for your help!

Direct link Reply with quote

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Corrupt indexes... Sep 15, 2008

Penelope Ausejo wrote:

I work with Trados 6.5 Freelance. I haven't had a problem with it before. Suddenly, last Friday, I was working with my main TM (personal one) and when I tried to use the "concordance function", I got this error --> Error 31005: Database corrupt! Run Export, create a new TM, and reimport.

I did as indicated, but nothing got fixed. I couldn't use the concordance function.

Yesterday afternoon, I was working with another TM and when I tried to use to Concordance, I got the same problem. Today I got an export from a client and created a new TM. The concordance function hasn't worked either.

Does anyone know why has this happened? Does anyone know how to solve this? Should I reinstall Trados again?

I don't think so.

Try the solution from http://talisma.sdl.com
Article 1540.

You are working on an open translation memory when the system suddenly locks up and the error message below appears. The translation memory cannot be reopened, therefore you cannot export.

Error Number: 31005

Error String: Database corrupt! Run export, create a new Translation Memory, and reimport.

Explanation

Each translation memory or database consists of at least five file types with the extensions .tmw, .mwf, .mtf, .mdf and .iix. The .tmw file is the one that contains the linguistic data or translation units. The others are for indexing, fast look up and so on. If you get a “corrupt database" error, the error will in most cases be caused by the additional files, not by the database itself.

Resolution

Let us assume that the corrupt database is called OLDDB. Use the following procedure to restore this database:
Create a new translation memory, calling it NEWDB. Make sure that NEWDB has the same setup as OLDDB. and is saved in the same folder as OLDDB.
Locate the five files for the new translation memory in Explorer and then select and delete the file NEWDB.tmw.
Make a back up copy of the original corrupt database file OLDDB.tmw and rename the original to NEWDB.tmw.
Open NEWDB.tmw in Translator's Workbench.
From the File menu, choose Properties. The Translation Memory Properties dialog box is displayed. Notice that the number of translation units is given as 0 (zero). Click Close.
From the File menu, choose Reorganise to reorganise the translation memory.
From the File menu, choose Properties. The Translation Memory Properties dialog box is displayed. Provided that the .tmw file itself was not corrupt, you will see that the translation units have been restored.

If the error is repetitive, check your hard disk for errors.

Cheers
GG

Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Should I do this on all of the TMs??? Sep 16, 2008

You are working on an open translation memory when the system suddenly locks up and the error message below appears. The translation memory cannot be reopened, therefore you cannot export.

GG

Doesn't this assume that only one TM gets this error? It is not a matter of not being able to open the TM, but of using the "concordance funtion" (that's my problem).

According to this... am I supposed to do this procedure for each of my TMs????

[Edited at 2008-09-16 07:49]

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Concordance window is not showing up? Sep 17, 2008

Penelope Ausejo wrote:

Doesn't this assume that only one TM gets this error? It is not a matter of not being able to open the TM, but of using the "concordance funtion" (that's my problem).

According to this... am I supposed to do this procedure for each of my TMs

Ehm... not necessarily...

First, take a look on the topic:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/58910-concordance_window_is_not_showing_up.html

Cheers
GG

Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Concordance window is there Sep 17, 2008

Thx Grzegorz! I have read the posts, but unfortunately I haven't found anything.

My Concordance window is there, Multiterm works fine, it is just the "Concordance function" that is not working. Every time I select a word/sentence and I press the Concordance button, I get the message on the WB window: "Error 31005: Database corrupt! Run Export, create a new TM, and reimport."

Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re-instal Trados Sep 19, 2008

I think the only option now will be to re-instal Trados.

Thx Grzegorz!

Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reinstalling Trados didn't work Sep 29, 2008

I re-installed Trados and it still doesn't work.

So... does anybody know what should I do? What the problem could be and how to solve it?

Another problem, probably derived from this one, is that when I try to save* the work done with TagEditor..., I get this message "(40007): Error reading TTX file header: A leading surrogate character was not followed by a legal second character" and I cannot open the file.

* I can only "save as bilingual". Trying to save "as target" also gives me a problem.

Please help!!! (I've tried with Trados Support, but they haven't answered yet and I'm freaking out)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error 31005: Database corrupt! Run Export, create a new TM, and reimport.

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs