Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 10:44
English to Greek
+ ...
Sep 15, 2008

Hello all,

I have been proposed a project that, according to the client, has to be worked with Trados 8. It is an edit/proof job of a large project which was created and translated with Trados 8 Tageditor. I responded that I have Trados 2007, which is a later version and should reasonably comprise all Trados 8 features, but they insisted on me having to use Trados 8. What is your opinion? Does it make sense?

Thank you!

[Edited at 2008-09-15 16:51]

Angeliki Papadopoulou
Angeliki Papadopoulou  Identity Verified
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
Correct me if I'm wrong, Sep 15, 2008

but I think Trados 2007 IS Trados 8, Eleni.

Lina

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well... Sep 15, 2008

...Trados 2007 comprises Tageditor 8!!! And Workbench 8 and SDLX 8. You are very correct, Lina. Σε ευχαριστώ πολύ.

By the way, I just communicated by chat with an SDL rep. This contact method is so simple and friendly! A really pleasant surprise!

[Edited at 2008-09-15 17:00]

[Edited at 2008-09-15 17:04]

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:44
English to German
+ ...
Check version compatibility Sep 15, 2008

Hi Eleni,
Make sure to check which version (build number) you and your client are using. SDL Trados 2007 SP2 is not always compatible with earlier T8.x versions, particularly when tagged or DTP formats are involved.

Best regards,
Ralf

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Very good remark, Sep 15, 2008

Ralf, thank you! I'll check that for sure!

Anmol
Anmol
Local time: 14:14
The numbering is confusing Sep 15, 2008

The numbering is indeed very confusing. When I tried to upgrade Trados 7.5 to Trados 2007 SP2, the installer failed repeatedly. Only after some correspondence with Trados Support did I realize that Trados 7.5 is in fact Trados 2006.

So the Trados numbering scheme seems to be Trados \Century + Year\ = Trados \Year + 1\.x

Eleni Makantani wrote:

By the way, I just communicated by chat with an SDL rep. This contact method is so simple and friendly! A really pleasant surprise!

Hi Eleni, can you provide some more details on this contact method? I've always found it difficult to get real-time support from Trados, it's usually been in the form of e-mail that generally takes a few days.

[Edited at 2008-09-15 17:52]

[Edited at 2008-09-15 17:52]

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sure! Sep 15, 2008

Anil Gidwani wrote:

Hi Eleni, can you provide some more details on this contact method? I've always found it difficult to get real-time support from Trados, it's usually been in the form of e-mail that generally takes a few days.

http://www.sdl.com/en/sites/server-site/default.asp

The link "Live Chat with SDL Trados" at the left part of the page will put you through to an SDL rep (provided, of course, that you try to contact them at their business hours).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can Trados 2007 replace Trados 8?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »