Türkiye
Local time: 17:46
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks but Sep 17, 2008

Jerzy already clarified it.

Balasubramaniam L. wrote:

As far I know Workbench has nothing to do with Word.

Even when you work with TagEditor, Workbench is required.

In fact it prompts you to open a workbench if it is not already opened.

Yes, it prompts the user to open Workbench, but you are free to open it or not.

Anyway, as Jerzy stated, let's call it 'the future of the Word interface'.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
One loves the daughter, one loves the mother Sep 18, 2008

I never quite understand fellow translators that complain about Word messing up things. I have never had problems in Word, or these problems date back at least five years.

The other week I had a large document from an old customer. For the first time I attempted to use Trados Tageditor or SDLX for this kind of document (because I was going to outsource this task to a translator who does not use Word). But it was a nightmare. (there is a thread about this).
Because there were z
... See more
I never quite understand fellow translators that complain about Word messing up things. I have never had problems in Word, or these problems date back at least five years.

The other week I had a large document from an old customer. For the first time I attempted to use Trados Tageditor or SDLX for this kind of document (because I was going to outsource this task to a translator who does not use Word). But it was a nightmare. (there is a thread about this).
Because there were zillions of tags all over the text no TE nor SDLX could deliver a reasonable file, because they took every tag very seriously.
In Word using Wordfast there was no problem, segmentation all right.

One problem in stand-alone programs like TE or SDLX or Transit is that one has to look always at the original, be it in dtp or pdf (most of the time the customer sends pdfs along with those itd- or ttx-files). During translations one has to know how the whole passage is meant to be, is the segment a heading, part of a paragraph, a footnote, in a drawing or whatever. In Word I see automatically what it is about and can reformat, when necessary. The formatting of the original document is most of the time not optimal in the target language, each language has its own conventions. But it is hopeless to try this in SDLX and rather difficult in TE, quite impossible in Transit Satellite.

Not every tag is meaningful, even in files from dtp. When a customer switches to dtp the persons in charge, who previously had used (or misused) Word, do the same in dtp: forcing line-breaks all over the place and play around with formatting. Then we sit at the ttx-file and try to keep all these stupid tags faithfully in place. I don't call that translating, and most of the time its a disservice to the reader of the stuff.

And when I look at the forum list of threads, most are about issues in TE, only much less frequently about translating in Word. Quod erat demonstrandum.

So I'm not convinced.

Regards
Heinrich

Of course Tageditor is not a stand-alone application, it needs workbench for full functionality. So until the folks at SDL Trados really put all functions into TE there will be the need for WB. In Wordfast all is packed into one 3 Mb plug-in. I'm curious to see how Yves will succeed in Version 6.
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:46
French to Polish
+ ...
Unicode compatibility in Word... tags... Sep 18, 2008

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

As the code page for your languages is the same, you'll have no problem unless your source document was created somewhere in China
Try to work with PL-RU or FR-PL, you'll see the difference...
Despite of the numerous SDL declarations, Trados for Word is still not Unicode compliant.
So why I prefer the TTX worklow.

Because there were zillions of tags all over the text no TE nor SDLX could deliver a reasonable file, because they took every tag very seriously.

In TE, you can delete a lot of tags if you know what you're doing.
And sometimes. a preprocessing is a must, it's possible to strip a lot of unwanted codes before you start to translate.

In Word using Wordfast there was no problem, segmentation all right.

Uhm, the problem is rather invisible for you

One problem in stand-alone programs like TE or SDLX or Transit is that one has to look always at the original, be it in dtp or pdf (most of the time the customer sends pdfs along with those itd- or ttx-files).

In the next release, Wordfast will go stand alone too.

During translations one has to know how the whole passage is meant to be, is the segment a heading, part of a paragraph, a footnote, in a drawing or whatever.

Just take a look on the tags.
With a little bit of experience you'll see there 90% of the formatting...

In Word I see automatically what it is about and can reformat, when necessary.

True.
The formating in TE is not so intuitve.

The formatting of the original document is most of the time not optimal in the target language, each language has its own conventions. But it is hopeless to try this in SDLX and rather difficult in TE, quite impossible in Transit Satellite.

True.

And when I look at the forum list of threads, most are about issues in TE, only much less frequently about translating in Word. [/quote]
TE is more complex than WB interface for Word (e.g. all the QA verifiers), so why you have more issues.
But the Word issues are/were really crucial.
Some of them are still not fixed.
So why I switched to DV3 'cause 7 years ago Trados was unusable for me.
Now I'm happy with DVX and I when I try to switch back and translate directly in Trados, I feel I have some fingers amputated

Quod erat demonstrandum.

So I'm not convinced.

If you feel well with Word, it seems obvious...

Of course Tageditor is not a stand-alone application, it needs workbench for full functionality. So until the folks at SDL Trados really put all functions into TE there will be the need for WB. In Wordfast all is packed into one 3 Mb plug-in. I'm curious to see how Yves will succeed in Version 6.

I guess, approx. 20 megs of code, like Swordfish.
And the runtime (Java) will take another 20 megs

Cheers
GG

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:46
English to Hungarian
+ ...
well Sep 18, 2008

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

FarkasAndras wrote:

I only understand half (ok, less than half) of what you all are going on about, but let's make something clear: the majority of translation jobs are MS Word files, and the majority of translators prefer to work in Word.
SDL knows this and doesn't want to see its business go down the toilet. Thus, they will release a new Word-compatible version of Trados every time MS messes with Word, if that is at all possible.
... which is good because I sure as hell don't want to work in tageditor.

Well, the majority of translation jobs I receive are FrameMaker and InDesign files. At the moment I am translating 110 FrameMaker files with Deja Vu X. During the last 3 years I have received only 5 or less MS Word projects.

You!=the translation market.

I can counter your anecdotal "evidence" by saying that I'm translating European Parliament session minutes right now, and they're all MS word. I know for a fact that the Hungarian translations done this year (several years' sessions) are a good couple of million characters. Let's say that's a million words. Multiply that by about 22 if it's done into all languages and that's a fair bit of translation, only from EP plenary sessions.
See, I also have anecdotal evidence... But I admit I have nothing else. Although afaik the EU is THE biggest single client for translation in Europe and possibly worldwide so if they use Word docs across the board that's going to affect the figures heavily.

It'd be interesting to see actual industry stats. Did anyone go around surveying all the big players in translation about formats and CAT use at any point?

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
it's a good topic Sep 18, 2008

FarkasAndras wrote:

It'd be interesting to see actual industry stats. Did anyone go around surveying all the big players in translation about formats and CAT use at any point?

Let's discuss it in a separate topic.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

End of Trados Workbench?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »