Mobile menu

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
End of Trados Workbench?
Thread poster: Selcuk Akyuz

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 21:35
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Sep 16, 2008

http://www.proz.com/forum/office_applications/115444-would_you_recommend_open_office.html#944999

esperantisto wrote:

And don't forget that Microsoft is phasing out VBA, which means, that the next MSO version for Windows won't work with Trados Workbench, or Wordfast, or Metatexis either (current MSO for Macintosh does not work with WF anymore).


AFAIK Wordfast will release a new version, a standalone application. I guess Metatexis will also do something to solve this problem, maybe use another programming language.

And TagEditor is already included the SDL Trados package. But what will happen to Workbench? There are some translators who hate TagEditor, and they can consider switching to other CAT programs.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Tomás Cano Binder, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:35
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sticking to SDL Trados for now Sep 16, 2008

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:
And TagEditor is already included the SDL Trados package. But what will happen to Workbench? There are some translators who hate TagEditor, and they can consider switching to other CAT programs.


Not me! I love TagEditor.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 21:35
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Editors have problems too Sep 16, 2008

We are facing the fact that formatting of source documents gets more complicated all the time. So using any editor like SDLX, Tageditor or those new stand-alone versions of Wordfast and Metatexis will show us all the tags in these documents, and we will have to translate around these tags. This is slowing us down a lot.
But as long as we can convert the source document into Word or Writer (openoffice) we can concentrate on the text and have the advantage of online spelling checking and WYSIWYG-viewing.
Sometimes it makes sence to convert first to pdf, scan with Finereader and translate in Word instead of using stand-alone editors.

I don't think I will shift to stand-alone Wordfast any time soon.

Regards
Heinrich


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 21:35
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados already suggests use of TagEditor Sep 16, 2008

It is evident that Trados will stop development of Workbench as it already suggests use of TagEditor. But on the other hand, there are many users who don't like TagEditor. So do you think Trados will develop another program?

Remember that SDL recently acquired Idiom, which has an interface similar to Deja Vu.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 20:35
Italian to English
I don't think so Sep 16, 2008

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

It is evident that Trados will stop development of Workbench as it already suggests use of TagEditor. But on the other hand, there are many users who don't like TagEditor. So do you think Trados will develop another program?



No, I think that it will seek to improve TagEditor, which is stable albeit still a bit clunky. FWIW, if at all possible, I prefer to use Workbench, which at least lets you work in Word for the time being. I've never considered Metatexis or Wordfast, but only because I started using CATs before those programs were launched.



Remember that SDL recently acquired Idiom, which has an interface similar to Deja Vu.



To be honest, I've gone off DV since it dropped the generally stable DV3, which I liked, for the - pointlessly, in my case - multiple file-format DVX, a memory hog of the first water. It also takes longer to set up a project in DVX than it does in Workbench or TagEditor if you ignore Synergy, as most people sensibly continue to do.

I know you like DVX, Selcuk, but it slipped off my radar a while ago. I don't get many repetitive projects, and that's where DVX really comes into its own

Giles


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 20:35
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Disagree Sep 16, 2008

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

... will show us all the tags in these documents, and we will have to translate around these tags. This is slowing us down a lot.

Heinrich


I suppose it is individual, but I strongly prefer seeing the tags to WYSIWYG because in such an environment I know exactly what I am doing. I do not think it slows me down at all. Perhaps the difference is in that I usually work in Transit XV Professional, which – as text processing goes – is not as smooth as Word but still much better than TagEditor.

Very rarely, I do work in the MS Word + Trados Workbench combination, if the text is really free of heavy formatting, mainly because I have built quite a few VBA tricks of my own which speed up and facilitate my work in this environment, but it has not been my first choice for years now.

Antonin


Direct link Reply with quote
 
FarkasAndras
Local time: 20:35
English to Hungarian
+ ...
perspective Sep 16, 2008

I only understand half (ok, less than half) of what you all are going on about, but let's make something clear: the majority of translation jobs are MS Word files, and the majority of translators prefer to work in Word.
SDL knows this and doesn't want to see its business go down the toilet. Thus, they will release a new Word-compatible version of Trados every time MS messes with Word, if that is at all possible.
... which is good because I sure as hell don't want to work in tageditor.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 21:35
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
New versions of Trados and MS Office Sep 16, 2008

Most possibly Microsoft will release a new version in 2010 or 2011. But we can expect two new versions from Trados, one at the end of 2008 and the other one before the next version of MS Office. So we will see the future of Workbench within 2 or 3 years. On the other hand, MemoQ has released version 3, Star will release Transit NXT and we are waiting for the new version of Deja Vu and Wordfast 6.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 21:35
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Majority of translation jobs Sep 16, 2008

FarkasAndras wrote:

I only understand half (ok, less than half) of what you all are going on about, but let's make something clear: the majority of translation jobs are MS Word files, and the majority of translators prefer to work in Word.
SDL knows this and doesn't want to see its business go down the toilet. Thus, they will release a new Word-compatible version of Trados every time MS messes with Word, if that is at all possible.
... which is good because I sure as hell don't want to work in tageditor.


Well, the majority of translation jobs I receive are FrameMaker and InDesign files. At the moment I am translating 110 FrameMaker files with Deja Vu X. During the last 3 years I have received only 5 or less MS Word projects.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

KSL Berlin  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 19:35
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Chickens and eggs Sep 16, 2008

FarkasAndras wrote:
...but let's make something clear: the majority of translation jobs are MS Word files, and the majority of translators prefer to work in Word.


The second part of your statement may well be true, but then following the gripes posted on ProZ and elsewhere I have the impression that this majority may be struggling to pay bills. One advantage I shamelessly exploited when I first started using CAT tools 8 years ago was the fact that I could handle almost any electronic source format the client could offer. This got me a lot of jobs I might have missed out on otherwise.

I have my doubts about the first part of your statement - that the majority of the jobs are MS Word files. Often content is offered that way because clients are accustomed to translators whining about formats, and if they find someone who can deal directly with a Visio file or CorelDraw, the translator who insists on MS Word had better be a god with language or he/she will be SOL. I haven't compiled any format statistics, but there have been many months where it seems like all I get are XML, InDesign and FrameMaker texts. I don't worry about it, because my working tools allow me to treat all these formats basically the same and use all the same reference databases to work on them.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:35
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Amen Sep 16, 2008

Kevin Lossner wrote:

FarkasAndras wrote:
...but let's make something clear: the majority of translation jobs are MS Word files, and the majority of translators prefer to work in Word.


The second part of your statement may well be true, but then following the gripes posted on ProZ and elsewhere I have the impression that this majority may be struggling to pay bills. One advantage I shamelessly exploited when I first started using CAT tools 8 years ago was the fact that I could handle almost any electronic source format the client could offer. This got me a lot of jobs I might have missed out on otherwise.

I have my doubts about the first part of your statement - that the majority of the jobs are MS Word files. Often content is offered that way because clients are accustomed to translators whining about formats, and if they find someone who can deal directly with a Visio file or CorelDraw, the translator who insists on MS Word had better be a god with language or he/she will be SOL. I haven't compiled any format statistics, but there have been many months where it seems like all I get are XML, InDesign and FrameMaker texts. I don't worry about it, because my working tools allow me to treat all these formats basically the same and use all the same reference databases to work on them.


And the future is so - Word will slowly dissapear as a medium for translators. On top many of us, saying "I'm just a translator" and not willing to be bothered will all this computer stuff will have either to drop their prices to get jobs or will be out of line. Sorry if this sounds rude or harsh, but this is my very personal opinion on the development of our market. Customers demands will not go down, but rather raise, leaving only narrow space for "just translating". We will need to work with different formats, not only with Word (and in Word).

But BTT: You seem to miss something, when you say "It is evident that Trados will stop development of Workbench as it already suggests use of TagEditor".
Workbench is only one component of the Trados environment. You cannot work without it. Suggesting the workflow with Tageditor has nothing to do with the Workbench. What you are asking here is the future of the Word interface, and IMHO its last days have already started. As it only causes problems it is likely it will be dropped. Not only is the latest version of Word not so good compatible as previous versions, there is still the same problem - user. I've written this already on some ocasion, but I repeat myself. Word is a wonderful tool, allowing the user to do nearly anything. And this is its biggest problem - user do nearly anyting, but do so without having a clue how to. As user I mean our customers and us translators. Because Word is so easy to use nearly no one bothers to learn it. But when it comes to a problem everyone else is guilty then...


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 21:35
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jerzy Sep 16, 2008

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

But BTT: You seem to miss something, when you say "It is evident that Trados will stop development of Workbench as it already suggests use of TagEditor".
Workbench is only one component of the Trados environment. You cannot work without it. Suggesting the workflow with Tageditor has nothing to do with the Workbench. What you are asking here is the future of the Word interface, and IMHO its last days have already started.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Tomás Cano Binder, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:35
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Correctness requires time Sep 17, 2008

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
So using any editor like SDLX, Tageditor or those new stand-alone versions of Wordfast and Metatexis will show us all the tags in these documents, and we will have to translate around these tags. This is slowing us down a lot.


I don't quite agree either. I very much prefer TagEditor because it allows me to be sure that I am translating everything (headers, footers, sidebars, text in tables with fixed row height, texts hidden behind graphics that move as you translate in Word....). Translating it all and protecting the whole of the formatting requires a little bit of extra time, but is does not "slow us down a lot".

What "slows me down a lot" is having to fix formats and styles altered and messed up by translating in Word with macros. I don't have time for that!


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Tomás Cano Binder, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:35
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Who said that? Sep 17, 2008

FarkasAndras wrote:
the majority of translation jobs are MS Word files, and the majority of translators prefer to work in Word.


It might be your case, but not everyone's case. Who said a majority of translators prefer to work in Word? What are your sources about it?


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 00:05
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Workbench has nothing to do with word Sep 17, 2008

As far I know Workbench has nothing to do with Word.

Even when you work with TagEditor, Workbench is required.

In fact it prompts you to open a workbench if it is not already opened.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Pages in topic:   [1 2] >


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

End of Trados Workbench?

Advanced search


Translation news related to SDL Trados





TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »



All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs