Thread poster: Ivana UK

Ivana UK  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:34
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Sep 17, 2008

I'm trying to import a TM (sent to me by an agency) and receive the 50028 Error Message.
The file name is very long which means that I can't actually see the full error message, but only:

The import file XXXXXX is .........

I have no idea what is causing this and can find no reference to error 50028 anywhere except on a previous Proz.com forum posting. Unfortunately I don't understand the instructions given to resolve this issue. Can anyone clarify?

I'm using Trados version is 7.0.0.616 and the file I am trying to import is a text document.

Many thanks in advance,

Ivana

Direct link Reply with quote

United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Clarification: Sep 17, 2008

It's not that I don't understand the instructions as such, but rather that it doesn't work!

When I copy the header from my blank TM and insert it at the top of the existing import document then try to import it, it does import but as follows:

Import finished successfully. 0 TUs read in 2 seconds: 0 updated, 0 added, 0 invalid.

Anna Sylvia Villegas Carvallo
Mexico
Local time: 17:34
English to Spanish
Open the txt file... Sep 17, 2008

Rename it, and change the type. If it's in ANSI change to Unicode, or viceversa.

This should work.

[Edited at 2008-09-17 21:42]

Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 20:34
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Possible anwser here Sep 18, 2008

Please check the following forum:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/38154-importing_tms_into_trados_700615:_error_50028-.html

Kind regards

Clarisa

An example to clarify (if I can clarify anything)

Open the txt file containing the TM

The first line reads (well, MY first line) as follows:

----TWBExportFile version="7.0" generator="TW4Win" build="7.1.0.719"---

You should change the first line of the file you are trying to import and insert instead a first line of the translation memory you are going to use.

I'm not sure if I'm being clear...

The idea is that the first line of the TM to be exported is exactly same of the TM you are using.

[Edited at 2008-09-18 02:51]

[Edited at 2008-09-18 02:52]

Anna Sylvia Villegas Carvallo
Mexico
Local time: 17:34
English to Spanish
This might be the cause. Sep 18, 2008

Example
The translation units for import include source segments in English (United Kingdom) and English (United States). The source language in your current translation memory is English (United Kingdom) only.

If you select Check matching sublanguages*, all English (United States) source segments are regarded as invalid and thus not imported.

If you do not select this option, Translator's Workbench disregards the difference in sub-language codes between the English (United States) source segments for import and the existing English (United Kingdom) source segments. Source segments using both varieties of English are imported.

*The small square (box) at the bottom of the "Import" window.

harneet  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:04
Japanese to English
+ ...
Hi Ivana, this is exactly the message I get when I try to import a .txt file into the workbench. Nov 28, 2008

Ivana Micheli wrote:

I'm trying to import a TM (sent to me by an agency) and receive the 50028 Error Message.
The file name is very long which means that I can't actually see the full error message, but only:

I have no idea what is causing this and can find no reference to error 50028 anywhere except on a previous Proz.com forum posting. Unfortunately I don't understand the instructions given to resolve this issue. Can anyone clarify?

I'm using Trados version is 7.0.0.616 and the file I am trying to import is a text document.

Many thanks in advance,

Ivana

[திருத்திய நேரம் 2008-11-28 17:39 GMT]

harneet  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:04
Japanese to English
+ ...
How did you finally resolve the problem, because I am also stuck with it... Nov 28, 2008

harneet wrote:

Ivana Micheli wrote:

Many thanks in advance,

Ivana

[திருத்திய நேரம் 2008-11-28 17:39 GMT]

United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all for your helpful replies. Nov 28, 2008

Unfortunately, no matter what I tried, I couldn't resolve the problem so in the end, I contacted the agency, telling them which version of Trados I was using. Much to my surprise they sent me a suitable TM in a matter of minutes!

Now if I'd known that, I would have contacted them straight away ..!

Moral of the story: contact the agency sooner rather than later (I wasted at least a couple of hours trying to convert the TM)!!

Ivana

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error 50028

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs