Mobile menu

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Trados 2008 refuses to analyse Word file saying there are tracked changes, whereas there are none
Thread poster: ViktoriaG

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:07
English to French
+ ...
Sep 18, 2008

I am trying to analyse a 327-page Word file. It is a file of good quality which contains 80% text, 10% tables and 10% images. It has a four-tiered TOC as well. This file is more or less the same as the ones I always translate for the same client, and past files have never caused me the kind of trouble I am having at the moment.

When I try to analyse this file using Workbench, I get the following message:
-2147467259: This Microsoft Word document cannot be opened due to tracked changes that have not yet

I don't know what the rest of the error message is - there is not enough room in the Analysis window to display all of it. However, I am sure you can guess: Workbench says that I need to accept or reject tracked changes before it can analyse the file.

However, there is a tiny little problem: there are no tracked changes in the document.

I suspect that the problem is something else, but that Workbench doesn't really know what it is, so it spits out the next most logical error message.

Has this happened to you before? If so, what was wrong? Is there a solution? What do you suggest I examine in the file?

Thanks in advance!

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:07
English to German
+ ...
Change the filter settings Sep 18, 2008

Hi Viktoria,
I had the same problem yesterday - the Trados KB has a solution, which worked for me.

HTH, Ralf

Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Ralf! Problem solved. Sep 19, 2008

Thanks so much, Ralf! The problem is solved now.

This is a bit dumb - I didn't think of checking the Talisma site for this, because I am used to Trados errors that have nothing to do with the actual content of the error message.

However, I have a question. The Talisma workaround says that this will allow me to translate a Word file in TagEditor even if the tracked changes are not accepted/rejected. I am wondering if this would also fix the same problem for Word files I use Word for as the editing environment. I will go with TagEditor for this file, but I'm wondering if this would also work if I were to use Word.

Thanks so much again! I was a bit shocked, because this kind of file has a high possibility of crashing, takes a long time to load, bookmarks, etc., and this problem was the icing on the cake. Now that it's solved, I can finally rejoice about getting this nice juicy contract.

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 11:07
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Choose the corrections toolbar Sep 19, 2008

in Word and except all changes. I had this a few times and could resolve the problem in this way. I don't know what the toolbar is called in English though.
Regards
Heinrich

Germany
English to German
+ ...
No problem in Word Sep 19, 2008

Hi again, Viktoria,

However, I have a question. The Talisma workaround says that this will allow me to translate a Word file in TagEditor even if the tracked changes are not accepted/rejected. I am wondering if this would also fix the same problem for Word files I use Word for as the editing environment. I will go with TagEditor for this file, but I'm wondering if this would also work if I were to use Word.

You don't have that problem in Word - Workbench will only stop if you activate the 'track changes' function - in my experience, any remaining revision marks will be accepted if you open a segment containing them. In fact, I just cleaned up a Word document (translated in Word) where I had left some revision marks in part provided in English by the client.

HTH, Ralf

Carsten Behrend  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Talisma with timeout Sep 19, 2008

Ralf Lemster wrote:

solution, which worked for me.

HTH, Ralf

This solution produces a timeout and no solution could be found there anymore. Please, Ralf, share you knowledge here again.

BTW: I encountered the same problem some days ago. This is, what I did to workaround.
In menu 'Start', select 'Start', 'Programs', 'SDL International', 'SDL Trados 2007 Freelance', 'Trados', 'Filters', 'Filter Settings'. In the left column, find Word 2000-2003 and the entry 'Non accepted or rejected changes'. Select the entry and in the result pane set the check in 'Process documents with non accepted or rejected changes'.

[Edited at 2008-09-19 10:31]

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
DOC- > XML - > DOC Sep 19, 2008

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

in Word and except all changes. I had this a few times and could resolve the problem in this way. I don't know what the toolbar is called in English though.

Sometime it doesn't work.

Try to save the doc as XML. quit Word. reopen the XML file, accept all the changes, save, quit Word, reopen the XML file in Word and resave as DOC.

It worked for me some time ago in a very messy, large document.

BTW.
TE editor was simply unable to open this file.

Cheers
GG

Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for all the replies Sep 19, 2008

Well, I may not have made myself clear the first time around, so here goes.

The document I was trying to analyse contained no tracked changes, even though the error message suggests otherwise. That is why I am wondering if the solution referred to by Ralf works in Word. It may work perfectly when the actual problem is tracked changes - but what about problems like mine when the tracked changes error message is caused by something other than tracked changes? The solution referred to by Ralf fixed my problem for TagEditor - but would it have fixed it as well had I decided to use Word as my editing environment?

Heinrich, I did as you suggest before trying anything else - but I was told by Word that there are no tracked changes. Nonetheless, I saved the file and tried to analyse it again - with the same result as before. The problem is something else, but it seems that Workbench doesn't actually know what the problem is, so it just gives that mostly irrelevant error message.

I also couldn't follow Ralf's link. It's not his fault - the Talisma website is organized in a way that there is no absolute URL for any one page. So, I simply visited the Talisma website, typed 'tracked changes' in the search field, and this is what I got:

Error Message: This Microsoft Word document cannot be opened due to tracked changes that have not yet been accepted or rejected.

Symptoms
When you attempt to open a Microsoft Word document in TagEditor, the error message This Microsoft document cannot be opened due to tracked changes that have not yet been accepted or rejected is shown.
(Error code: 80005).
Explanation
This error occurs when there are tracked changes in your Microsoft Word document which have not yet been accepted or rejected. However, this error may sometimes be displayed even though all changes have been accepted or rejected, due to issues in Microsoft Word. In this case, you can force TagEditor to open the document.
Resolution
First, make sure that all tracked changes have been accepted or rejected and that the Track Changes feature has been turned off in Microsoft Word.

If this still does not fix the problem, do the following:
Exit all running SDL Trados applications.
From the Start menu, select All Programs > SDL International > SDL Trados 2007 > Trados > Filters > Filter Settings. The SDL Trados Filter Settings application is displayed.
Select Word 2000-2003 in the left-hand pane.
Select Non accepted or rejected changes from the list.
Select the Process documents with non accepted or rejected changes check box.
Click Save to save the settings and then click Exit.
This will force the TagEditor filter for Microsoft Word documents to process documents with non accepted or rejected changes.
Note
If you use an earlier version of SDL Trados, for example SDL Trados 2006, then you can try the following:

Open the document in Microsoft Word
Go to Tools > Macro > Microsoft Script Editor
Use Edit > Find and Replace > Find to search for the string mso-prop-change; you should find something like:
< p class=MsoNormal style='mso-prop-change:"John Johnson" 20071130T1052'"...
Remove the part style='mso-prop-change:"John Johnson" 20071130T1052'"
Repeat this until you do not find the string mso-prop-change anymore
Save the document and close the Microsoft Script Editor
Close Micorosoft Word
The document should now open in TagEditor.

[Edited at 2008-09-19 15:20]

Tomás Cano Binder, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Same problem about a week ago Sep 19, 2008

Ralf Lemster wrote:
Hi Viktoria,
I had the same problem yesterday - the Trados KB has a solution, which worked for me.
HTH, Ralf

Indeed. This is the way to go. No other solution worked for me when I had this same situation about a week ago. Thank you so much Ralf! You are always spot-on!!

Germany
English to German
+ ...
That's the one... Sep 19, 2008

Hi Carsten,

This solution produces a timeout and no solution could be found there anymore. Please, Ralf, share you knowledge here again.

Not necessary - you quoted exactly what was suggested by the Trados KB.

Best, Ralf

Germany
English to German
+ ...
No such problem when using the Word interface Sep 19, 2008

Hi again,
It may work perfectly when the actual problem is tracked changes - but what about problems like mine when the tracked changes error message is caused by something other than tracked changes? The solution referred to by Ralf fixed my problem for TagEditor - but would it have fixed it as well had I decided to use Word as my editing environment?

There would have been no need for the fix.

Best regards,
Ralf

Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not so sure about that Sep 20, 2008

Ralf Lemster wrote:

There would have been no need for the fix.

I tried to analyse the same file both as a Word file and as a Word file to be processed with TagEditor - both tentatives produced the same error message. That is, even if I wanted to translate the file in Word, the analysis never would have taken off.

I can't do a new analysis now because I have another sizeable document in the works and I don't want to ruin all those intricate settings just for an analysis, but I will analyse the file again as a Word file now that the solution is implemented and I will get back to you on Monday to tell you how it went.

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TTX workflow checked? Sep 20, 2008

Hi again,

I tried to analyse the same file both as a Word file and as a Word file to be processed with TagEditor - both tentatives produced the same error message.

Did you uncheck the TRADOStag XML workflow for Word .doc files option on Options - TM Options - Tools? If this is checked, Workbench needs to convert to TTX, triggering the error message, of course.

That is, even if I wanted to translate the file in Word, the analysis never would have taken off.

Try to start translating it in Word.

Best, Ralf

Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes - I tried both Sep 20, 2008

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Did you uncheck the TRADOStag XML workflow for Word .doc files option on Options - TM Options - Tools?

First, I tried with this option unchecked, and when I got that infamous error message, I tried with this option checked. I got the same error message.

Ralf wrote:
Try to start translating it in Word.

I guess I don't have the choice now. I'll do that, but probably not before Monday. My client is throwing files at me like there's no tomorrow.

Peter Winch  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 17:07
Japanese to English
+ ...
I have an idea of what causes this Nov 20, 2008

I had this problem today, and thanks to all of your advice I was able to work-around it.

In my case it was a Word 2003 file, which had no tracked changes. Using the Microsoft Script Editor I was able to find the "mso-prop-change" string that Viktoria mentioned. There were three occurrences of "mso-prop-change". Deleting them took care of the problem.

When I checked with the people who provided the document, I discovered that the section of text involved was copy-and-pasted directly from another file (which is not allowed). It seems the original file (Word 2007) had tracked changes and when the information was copied, so was the tracking information. This meant that Word 2003 was unaware that it contained the tracking information, and I could not delete/reflect it using Word.

Looks like you have to be careful about your source documents.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2008 refuses to analyse Word file saying there are tracked changes, whereas there are none

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs