Mobile menu

How to translate OpenOffice files using SDL Edit?
Thread poster: damg_translator
damg_translator
Brazil
Local time: 17:38
English to Portuguese
Sep 19, 2008

Hi everyone. I'll try to make it simple:

I've been using SDL Trados 2007 for only two months, and I know very little about it.
First, let me explain how I use it:

- when I need to translate a file, I just right click on it, choose OPEN WITH >> SDL SINGLE FILE WIZARD;
(or I can click on the icon 'SDLX')
- then there is that small window 'Start Translation', where I choose the source and target language, and also the TM. After that, the SDL Edit opens, dividing the window in two, with my source language on the left, and the target language on the right.

I do that with MS Office files, but I just can't do the same procedure for Open Office files. (when I try to open it, trados doesn't recognize openoffice files as "translatable". PLEASE, can somebody tell me why can't I do that? And if there's a way of translating OpenOffice files, could someone explain it in details to me?

Once I've tried to translate an OpenOffice file using Tag Editor, but I couldn't understand how it works! The SDL Trados 2007 package has too many tools, I'm completely lost! I just know how to use the SDL Edit.

Thanks to the one that will answer me...

Direct link Reply with quote

Rick Henry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:38
Italian to English
+ ...
Do you have Open Office or did you just receive an OO file? Sep 19, 2008

If you have Open Office, all you need to do is open the document within Open Office, then save as either RTF or Word. Then you'll be able to do what you want with the converted file.

If you don't have Open Office, it's freely available at www.openoffice.org

HTH

R.
==

damg_translator
Brazil
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
I've already tried it - formatted text is gone Sep 22, 2008

Thank you Rick, but I've already done it, and unfortunately, a part of the formatted text was gone! And the files I translate have a lot of tables. That's why I'd like to know if there's a way to translate openoffice files directly, with no conversion needed, using the SDL Edit. I really didn't like working with TagEditor, it's not practical to me.

According to Trados documentation, the way to translate openoffice files is by using TagEditor. It doesn't mention anything about using SDL Edit to do it.

Well, thank you again, and I hope I can find a way to do what I need.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:38
English
Try this... Sep 22, 2008

Hello,

You could try opening the file in TagEditor and then saving it as a ttx file.

You can then translate the bilingual files in SDLX.

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team

damg_translator
Brazil
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
It didn't work Sep 22, 2008

Gareth,

I tried to do what you told me, but it didn't work. I opened the file in TagEditor, with a translation memory I've created specific for this file. Then, I saved it as you said, closed the TagEditor, and tried to open the file with SDL Edit application.

First there was the following message: (I wanted to translate a file from portuguese to english)

"The following unknown language has been encountered in an import file.

Please select the language to be used, or press cancel to ignore all translation associated with the unknown language code."

Then, if I click on OK, the SDL Edit application runs, but both columns are blank! It shows no text.

After that I tried the following: I translated the text using the TagEditor and saved it.
Then, when I tried to open the file with SDL Edit, it run!

So, what I can't understand is: why can't I open the file when it's not translated yet? and why can I open it after translating with TagEditor?

Could it be because of the translation memory? and here there's another question: What is the difference between the .tmw and .mdb translation memories? TagEditor uses .tmw, while SDL Edit uses .mdb...

Well, I hope I was clear enough, and I would be grateful if you helped me.

Thanks,

Daiane.

United Kingdom
English
Try this... Sep 23, 2008

Hello Daiane,

Please use the Translate function in Translators Workbench and make sure you tick the option to "Segment Unknown Sentences". You will then be able to open the ttx file in SDLX and should no longer receive the error message.

Here’s a guide:

1. Open Translators Workbench
2. Go to Tools -> Translate
3. Select "Add" and choose your document
4. Tick the option to "Segment Unknown Segments"
5. Select Translate

Again, you will then see the newly created ttx file and you will be able to translate this in SDLX.

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team

damg_translator
Brazil
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
Great! Sep 23, 2008

Gareth,

thank you so much! Now it works! I can open the .ttx file and translate it into SDL Edit using my .mdb translation memories.

But unfortunately, now I have another problem. When I want to preview or create the translation, it doesn't work. The following message appears:

"Failed to launch the associated application for translation preview".

Why does that happen?

Daiane.

United Kingdom
English
Try TagEditor... Sep 23, 2008

Hello Daiane,

Good, I'm glad it’s working.

The most likely cause of your problem is that SDLX does not support Open Office Documents and so you need to save the translation in SDLX Edit (as a ttx ) and then use the clean-up function in Translators Workbench to create a translated document.

Please follow these instructions:

1. Open Translators Workbench
2. Go to Tools -> Clean Up
3. Add the translated ttx file
4. Select "Clean-Up"

This will create a translated Open Office document for you in the same folder as the ttx file.

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team

damg_translator
Brazil
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
I can't open it with OpenOffice - coding problem Sep 23, 2008

Gareth,

ok, I could create the translated file. But now I can't open it with openoffice! When I try to do that, openoffice shows me a window in which I need to choose "ASCII filter options".

And then, if I don't change the default settings and open the document, what I see is an xml document, with a lot of tags.....

I don't understand these coding systems....could you help me again, please?

United Kingdom
English
Question... Sep 23, 2008

Hello Daiane,

Silly question: are you definitely opening the translated open office (odt) document in Open Office Writer and not the ttx file?

I only ask because I was unable to reproduce your error and managed to translate an Open Office document using the previous workflow. Also, I could only reproduce XML code if I opened the ttx file in OOW and not the odt file.

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team

damg_translator
Brazil
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
I was not saving it the right way Sep 23, 2008

Gareth,

Now I know what was wrong: when saving the document into .ttx, I didn't remove the .odt extension, and the resulting file had the extension: .odt.ttx. That's why I couldn't open it.

Now I created an .odt file with just one sentence for me to test. I followed the steps and everything went out ok.

But now I tried to do the same procedure with one of the documents I have here, and after creating the translated file (.odt), when I try to open it with openoffice, I get the following message:

"Error of format found in the file in the subdocument content.xml in 2,117293 (line, column)"

I know that Trados creates a xml document named content....but why does that happen with this file? I didn't have any problems with the test file I created...

Thank you for helping me.

Daiane.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Questions... questions... questions... Sep 25, 2008

Hi Diane,
please don't take this personal and don't let yourself discouraged from using this forum.

Anyway, Gareth has been very helpful many, many times and I feel sorry for him that he has to deal with things that are quite obvious and simple RTFM-cases.

Have a look at your Trados documentation: not just at the cover, but also at the pages that are inside...

BTW, why translate OpenOffice documents in SDLX? Why not import your SDLX TM to Translator's Workbench and use TagEditor for translation?

[Upraveno: 2008-09-25 07:56]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to translate OpenOffice files using SDL Edit?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs