Mobile menu

Term recognition in Workbench showing only one match at a time?
Thread poster: Jacques DP

Jacques DP  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 05:36
Member (2003)
English to French
Sep 19, 2008

Hi,

Sorry for this possibly silly question. Term recognition in Workbench shows only one match at a time--is that normal? Why doesn't it show all the glossary entries relevant to the current segment? Is there a way to change this?

Thank you

Jacques

Direct link Reply with quote

Paul Malone  Identity Verified
France
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Use 'alt' plus the direction arrows Sep 19, 2008

Hello Jacques,

I don't think you can get several terms to show in the terminology window at the same time, but you can change the term that appears by pressing 'alt' plus the direction arrow keys.

Alternatively you can click on the 'get next term' and 'get previous term' icons in the toolbar (in either TagEditor or in Word in using workbench).

Several terms will appear in the window if you are using several MT termbases simultaneously, or if you have several entries for the term in the termbase you are using.

I hope I've understood your question!

Best regards,
Paul

PS, the terms that are in your termbase are indicated in the Workbench 'source window' by a red line above each term.

[Edited at 2008-09-19 18:09]

Switzerland
Member (2003)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Oh well (thank you) Sep 19, 2008

Paul,

You understood my question perfectly, thanks very much for your answer.

So, I have that big white empty window for glossary matches, and it shows only 1 of them instead of all of them, and the only way to see the other ones is to insert them in the segment (in linear order).

Oh well.

STAR Transit and IBM Translation Manager are not all bad after all.

Anyway, thanks again.

Jacques

Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Choice of the tool... Sep 19, 2008

Jacques Du Paquier wrote:

So, I have that big white empty window for glossary matches, and it shows only 1 of them instead of all of them, and the only way to see the other ones is to insert them in the segment (in linear order).

STAR Transit and IBM Translation Manager are not all bad after all.

And DejaVu is even quite good All the glossary matches, all the TM matches and all lexicon matches are only one click away... (In Trados you have exactly the same problem with TM matches - you have to browse through them one by one).

This is one of the reasons I feel that for Trados development team the translator's comfort has really low priority...

Switzerland
Member (2003)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Reviewing Sep 20, 2008

I need to perform a terminology check (among other reviewing tasks) on 30.000 words.
So it is extremely inconvenient that I am not able to check visually all glossary matches.
Surely I am not going to cycle between them (inserting them, too, before to delete them) just to be able to see them.
I know I can click on the words in the Workbench window, but that's an insane amount of aiming and clicking in such a large reviewing project (and would force me to go back and forth from keyboard to mouse all the time).

And the Terminology verifier plug-in doesn't seem to work, either (posting another message on this though)...

Switzerland
Member (2003)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Actually Sep 20, 2008

I know I can click on the words in the Workbench window, but that's an insane amount of aiming and clicking in such a large reviewing project

In fact, you can't "click on the words" as I wrongly suggested. You must click in an extremely thin zone (3 pixels, I believe) above the word to see the match. It always takes some time to actually find the "hot spot" that will allow you to click.

Now of course the good thing is that there is a "game" aspect to it. Maybe this could be combined with a "best scores" feature for people who manage to find the hot zone faster? Just a suggestion...

By the way, thanks Jabberwock for your input. Trying to get work done with SDL Trados 2007 for now (which is not all bad either, by the way), but I may eventually switch CAT tools...

Sandra& Kenneth  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 06:36
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
Double-click the little blue book Sep 21, 2008

Hi Jacques,
While trying to find a solution to this Multiterm limitation (among may others), I discovered that if you double-click on the little blue book, you get a screen displaying the respective term preceded and followed by its 10 neighboring terms in each direction in alphabetical order (i.e. a total of 21 glossary terms). This may be sufficient for you to check various forms of that term.
In MT7, that is.
HTH,
Sandra

Switzerland
Member (2003)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Not what I need. And how I "solved" it Sep 21, 2008

Thanks Sandra. What I need, however, is to review the matches for the various terms in some segment, not to check the terms alphabetically close to some term.

At this point, I have simply memorized most of the glossary in my head and this is how I do the checking. At least to look up a term in my head I don't need to leave the keyboard, reach the mouse, aim at a 3-pixel wide zone, miss it, aim some more, click again, view the term and go back to the keyboard--a million times.

Wilmer Brouwer
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Solution was already mentioned Sep 22, 2008

I always use dictionaries and glossaries in Multiterm, it simply adds a little red area above the term that's in the glossary. You can either try to click this area or simply press alt-left or alt-right (as Paul already mentioned) in Tageditor or Word. It gives you all the possible translations of that term and then moves on to the next or previous term. I think it does what it should do. It even finds fuzzy matches.

[Edited at 2008-09-22 07:41]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Term recognition in Workbench showing only one match at a time?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs