Error 50202: Word couldn't convert the document due to an OLE/COM or file name error
Thread poster: Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 21:42
English to Greek
+ ...
Sep 21, 2008

Hello all,

I try to analyse my project on Workbench and I keep getting error message 50202: Word could not convert the document due to an OLE/COM or file name error.

This error code is not contained in the manual.

Do you have any advice?

Thank you!

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 02:42
English to Thai
+ ...
My measures Sep 21, 2008

When I met with this error, I had 2 solutions:
1. Redo translation by using the same TM: It is mostly automatic. Next, I cleaned the file.
2. Rearrange the file before translation (mostly MS Office file): Check for Office update/paste, save *.doc as *.rtf and re-open and save as *.doc again. Next, redo solution 1.
3. Manually copy & paste translation from Workbench to the original document (e.g. Excel, if copying is not so tedious.)
The second solution was the most eff
... See more
When I met with this error, I had 2 solutions:
1. Redo translation by using the same TM: It is mostly automatic. Next, I cleaned the file.
2. Rearrange the file before translation (mostly MS Office file): Check for Office update/paste, save *.doc as *.rtf and re-open and save as *.doc again. Next, redo solution 1.
3. Manually copy & paste translation from Workbench to the original document (e.g. Excel, if copying is not so tedious.)
The second solution was the most effective for me. This error was due to troubles/conflicts in MS Office etc., not in Workbench.

Regards,
SL
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:42
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Try to save the file as rtf prior to analysis Sep 21, 2008

and analyse the RTF file. Most probably this will work, but you'll get a huge rtf file.
This is why I would strongly recommend changing to Tageditor.
If you want to do so, go to Workbench, chose Options, then Translation Memory Options and Tools. There select TRADOStag XML workflow for Word.
From this time all Word files will be converted to ttx prior to analysis and you will get the results exactly as would you manually convert Word to ttx.

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 21:42
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much, Sep 21, 2008

...rtf conversion worked! Thank you!

LinguaLab.net
LinguaLab.net
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:42
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Thank you SO much, Jerzy! Dec 19, 2008

I have not been able to analyse Word files for days, and nothing worked until I tried your suggestion with the TradosTag XML Workflow for Word.

Thank you SO much!!!

Jan Willem van Dormolen (X)
Jan Willem van Dormolen (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
This is what SDL Trados has to say Feb 24, 2009

The Knowledge Base of Trados support contains this page:

http://talisma.sdl.com/display/2n/index.aspx?c=&cpc=&cid=&cat=&catURL=&r=0.631785213947296

So basically, the possibilities are:

1) Save as rtf, clean or analyse, convert back to doc
and/or
2) Use the tdx workflow

Dr. Matthias Schauen
Dr. Matthias Schauen  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
English to German
RTF got too big? Feb 25, 2011

Hi, in my case, I tried to analyse an untranslated 7 MB Word file (.DOC) containing lots of images and received the same error message. I suspect that the conversion to RTF could not be completed because the resulting file would have been ridiculously large. I also could not save the Word file as RTF from Word 2007, the error message was something about the path not being available.

I found a solution in the following Microsoft KB ar
... See more
Hi, in my case, I tried to analyse an untranslated 7 MB Word file (.DOC) containing lots of images and received the same error message. I suspect that the conversion to RTF could not be completed because the resulting file would have been ridiculously large. I also could not save the Word file as RTF from Word 2007, the error message was something about the path not being available.

I found a solution in the following Microsoft KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/224663/EN-US . I had to change the registry to keep Word from blowing up RTF files containing images. After doing this, saving the file as RTF worked, and also analysing and translating the DOC file in Workbench/Trados 2007.

Matthias
Collapse

Annie S
Annie S
English to French
+ ...
Saving to RTF and back to Doc worked for me Mar 24, 2011

Thanks, saving to RTF then back to Doc worked for me.

Maria Meneses
Maria Meneses  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:42
English to Portuguese
+ ...
THANKS Aug 27, 2011

Obrigada pela ajuda. Resultou mesmo

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error 50202: Word couldn't convert the document due to an OLE/COM or file name error

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »