TagEditor returns garbled German letters
Thread poster: Heidi Lind

Heidi Lind  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:48
English to German
+ ...
Sep 24, 2008

I use Trados 8.2 and it happens more and more that when I translate a file in TagEditor it returns (pulls up 100% matches from TM) garbled words (e.g h舅gt for "hängt"). All the German letters are not recognized even though they appear normal in Workbench. I can change the segments in TagEditor back but that is obviously time consuming when translating large projects with a lot of matches. From what I understand it happens mostly when the memory gets large. It defeats the purpose to start fresh with no memory. Does anyone have a solution?
Thanks much
Heidi

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:48
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
More information please Sep 24, 2008

Is it a Word file?
Did you create the ttx on your own od got it from the customer?
Without this essential information no help is possible.

United States
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ttx. file Sep 24, 2008

Sorry, here's more info.
They are all ttx. files that I received from the customer, and it happens using different TMs.
Also, the spell checker does not pick up on these garbled words, TagEditor just uses these 100% segments (which, again, show up normal in the memory) and skips right to the next non 100%.

[Edited at 2008-09-25 00:02]

Colin lee
Local time: 18:48
Chinese
original font is wrong Sep 25, 2008

I don't know what format files were pre-translated to be ttx? Maybe your client used a wrong font before pre-translating them to be ttx. so garbage words will appear when you use a normal TM to translat that kind of files.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
TTX created from... WHAT? Sep 25, 2008

Hi Heidi,
I assume that what Jerzy has been asking is: WHAT WAS/IS THE ORIGINAL FILE FORMAT?
As you probably know, TTX is only the TradoStag format, i. e. the translation one. Not the one you received from your client, not the one you are going to send back to your client (unless it's a translation agency).

Regards.

[Upraveno: 2008-09-25 07:42]

United States
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
.doc and .xml Sep 25, 2008

Some were originally Word docs. The others are .xml and I'm not sure what format originally. My client's tech people say they've seen it happen with larger memories and were going to try to fix my memory but so far no news/results and it's happened with more than one of my memories.
Thanks
Heidi

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Sorry for being uprecise myself Sep 25, 2008

I was indeed asking for the SOURCE format, which was prior to TTX.
Nevertheless, if the files are Word, there might be a font problem.
For xml files, the ini defintion might be wrong.

In case of Word files - before you create ttx go to Start - Programs - SDL International - SDL Trados 2007 - Trados - Filters and select "Filter Settings".
On the tab for Word 2000-2003 locate the entry "Display formatting and font mapping" and deselect both entries there. Then recreate the ttx from Word. This might help.

Also changing font in Word to a common font like Arial might help. And most important - any Asian language defined in Word will disturb.

United States
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Oct 4, 2008

Sorry I just saw your reply. I will definitely try that tomorrow and let you know how it worked.

United States
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Didn't work Oct 7, 2008

Changing the filter settings unfortunately had no effect...
Heidi

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Did you recreate the ttx files? Oct 7, 2008

Filter settings will affect only NEW ttx files, files already created will remain the same.

United States
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How... Oct 7, 2008

Do I recreate a ttx file through Word?
I receive the file in an xml format with all tags and usually open it with TagEditor. When I open the files with Word all the tags are in text form and run together with any sentences/words to be translated.
If I save the Word file (it does not give me the option to save it as ttx) I cannot open it with TagEditor anymore (it crashes it).
I've reinstalled all the programs, performed reorganizations, import/export... just cannot seem to fix it.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
What are you translating? Oct 7, 2008

Please tell us exactly what are you doing, step by step.
What is EXACTLY the file format you get from your customer?
When it is xml, why do you open it in Word?

As for recreating the ttx from Word - simply open the Word file in Tageditor again, then you'll have a new ttx.

United States
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Example Oct 7, 2008

Here's one file name, exactly as I receive it from the client:
revA_AVEA_Battery.doc.ttx
So this file seems to have originally (at the client) been a Word doc. which is what you wanted to know. But I receive it from my client not in the Word format but in the ttx format wherefore I open and work with it in TagEditor.
The reason I opened it in Word is to try to change the font which did not work for the reason I specified. I do not have problems with files in Word so some few files without a lot of tags I could open in Word, translate them and then just run the original ttx files through the Trados translate function so I get a translated ttx file for TagEditor without the errors. Does that make sense?

OK so for the step by step. I receive the file, open it in TagEditor, open a segment, type, normally, set/close/next open get. No problem. If that segment or a fuzzy match thereof appears anywhere else in the document and it is opened, the letters are garbled.

I'm sorry, I do not really know what else I can tell you or specifically what you would need to know.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
So your customer should change this setting Oct 7, 2008

before creating ttx files.
Really, this simple setting may change a lot. If your customer is using special font in his document, Tageditor tries to use it for display too. It does not find it (obviously, as you don't have it) and substitutes it with another font - and this may have a different code page... Turning this option off will change the display in Tageditor to plain Arial - a font everyone has. Also please check with the customer, if the font used in the doc is capable of showing correct German signs.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TagEditor returns garbled German letters

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs