Mobile menu

Thread poster: Jacek Sierakowski

Jacek Sierakowski
Local time: 03:42
English to French
+ ...
Sep 26, 2008

I am asked to choose between SDLX and WORKBENCH training when purchasing SDL Trados. Can somebody tell me the difference and give me an advise?
Thank you.

Direct link Reply with quote

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:42
Partial member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Many factors Sep 26, 2008

A number of factors are related to use of Trados or SDLX. With popularity in global CAT tools, I feel that name of Trados is more quoted than name of SDLX.

For me [If I may select to use either Trados or SDLX], I prefer SDLX since:
1) It handles foreign languages better and smoothly e.g. Thai
2) It rarely crashes.
3) It rarely give me corrupted fonts, formats.
4) It is quicker to process for translation alignment, segment joint/splitting, preview, cleaning, unicode fonts, DTP files etc.
5) It contains more utilities e.g. editing of TM, conversion between Trados SDLX, Termbase, TM import file format.
6) However, Trados can work inside MS Word while SDLX cannot (I use Word indirectly to key into SDLX quicker and unse use of spell checking for various languages.).

Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:42
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
My advise Sep 26, 2008

Get trained in Trados and then train yourself in SDLX. Once you are familiar with Trados, SDLX is easier to use. If I had the option to choose a CAT tool for my work, I would definitely work with SDLX all the time.

Jacek Sierakowski
Local time: 03:42
English to French
+ ...
Thanks Sep 26, 2008

Thank you Soonthon and Elias.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Translators like you are producing higher quality translations faster with Lilt!

After years of research at Stanford University, Lilt has introduced a revolutionary new tool that will change the way you translate. Lilt learns how you translate to give you more personalized suggestions. Be more productive today! Use it FOR FREE!

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs