System requirements for Trados?
Thread poster: Petra_44
Petra_44  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:49
English to German
+ ...
Sep 29, 2008

Hi all,

so far, I haven't used Trados. At the moment, I am in the process of buying a used notebook on eBay. (I haven't found a new one that I like.)

However, I'm not sure about the minimum system requirements of Trados. If I buy a used IBM Thinkpad with an 40 GB HDD and 512 MB RAM, will this be enough to run Trados? The notebook I saw can be upgraded to 80 GB HDD and 1 GB RAM, which I would probably do.

I found information on some system requirements but not all of them. It says on the Trados page that 1 GB RAM is ok. But will Trados run smoothly?
And there is no information at all about the HDD requirements.

Oh, the new laptop will run under Windows XP. That's one of the reasons I don't just buy a new laptop. I don't want Windows Vista, which is just an advanced beta version to me.

Anyway, I hope someone can tell me the HDD requirements of Trados, and whether 1 GB RAM is really enough - or whether that's just what they say.

Best wishes,

Direct link Reply with quote
xxxPeter Manda
Local time: 20:49
German to English
+ ...
ram is enough, but how much storage space do you have? Sep 29, 2008

1 GB Ram is enough in itself; but you may want to purchase a standalone server for expanded memory, in case you want to use the laptop for any other purpose (especially photographs, film, etc.). Western Digital offers one with 1TB storage that seems to have the right price-point and definitely the needed capacity. Haven't bought it yet, though; so, I'm interested in reading if this is the best solution.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

System requirements for Trados?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs