Problem with Word XML Files and TagEditor
Thread poster: Tobi
Tobi
Local time: 21:01
English to German
+ ...
Oct 1, 2008

I have a client who delivers Word XML files out of its CMS. If i try to open these files in TagEditor, it says that the document contains no DOCTYPE declaration.
If I then try to create a settings file with the Tag Settings Wizard and try to import the XML file, it says:
No additional tag information found. All tags and attributes defined in these files are already covered by the current tag definitions.
This is the point where I'm stuck. I cannot create a settings file to open the XML file in TagEditor.

I've seen hundreds of similar posts here, but could find no helpful post within a reasonable time.

Maybe somebody knows where's the problem in my case.

Thanks in advance,

Tobi

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
What are Word XML files? Oct 1, 2008

Either they are XML files or Word files IMHO.
Did you try to add the tag information to an existing settings file?
I did not encounter such problems as you describe, regardles the nature of xml files I had. But why don't you simply ask the customer for his dtd-settings file? They cannot use xml without having a dtd...

Tobi
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It seems as this is not a real XML format Oct 1, 2008

I just discussed this issue with the manufacturer of the CMS system (docuglobe). They said that this is not a regular XML file even if it has the ending XML. The "editor" for these fiels is Word. It is something like a mix-up of a Word file and an XML file.

They also warned me about trying to use a DTD file. They suggest to change the docuglobe settings in a way that the files are saved as DOC to be able translate them.

Sounds still strange, but this will be the way I have to walk ...

tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
docuglobe sucks Oct 2, 2008

Just my opinion.

One of our clients uses it and the latest versions of TagEditor can process the Word files it produces quite alright. Still, basing a CMS on Word as a core component seems to be the wrong way to go.

Most of the time, the files won't be properly structured, which they should be in a CMS, just because Word allows authors to get creative with the formatting and abolish structure and style guide conventions in the process.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with Word XML Files and TagEditor

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs