Thread poster: Hasselt
Hasselt  Identity Verified
Neth. Antilles
Local time: 16:53
English to Dutch
+ ...
Oct 1, 2008

Hi all,

I am using Trados Freelance 2006. I have gotten a large Word document, which includes links to tables in Excel.

When I try to create a Trados file I get the following messages:
"Unable to create translation file" with "Run time error 429 ActiveX component can't create object" and "Run time error 380 Invalid property value".

I have tried removing the links from the Word file and I have also tried eliminating the tables themselves and the links. None of this works. I keep getting the same message.

Do anyone have any idea what it could be causing this? It is the first it happens to me.

I would appreciate any help.

Regards,

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Are you trying to open the Word file in Tageditor? Oct 1, 2008

Or do you try to save translated Word file from there?

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 09:53
Partial member
Spanish
+ ...
Objects in MS-Word are a nightmare Oct 1, 2008

I doubt you'll be able to work on that file with Trados only. Last year I had to translate several large files with all kinds of embedded objects. The ONLY CAT tool that worked wonderfully was Transit; actually it was the only CAT Tool that worked at all. And I tried a lot of CAT Tools with those files. TagEditor kept crashing, and when it worked, it hadn't captured any of the objects.

The problem with my documents was that the embedded objects had their own embedded objects, and some of those had their own, and so on. Many of those objects were practically invisible or very hard to find. I tried to manually extract some of the objects (so I could translate them individually with Trados) and it turned out that Transit found more embedded translatable text, which I hadn't seen.

If your documents aren't that complex you could try to extract each object individually and save them as separate files, translate them, and then UPDATE** them. You can also copy the text, translate it and then paste it back on the file (the object); you will still need to update** it.

Or... you can use Transit (I don't know if the cheapest version will work or not). I didn't have it so I had to borrow it, then when I tried to buy it, the sales department didn't even get back to me. But the sales department in your country might be better. Since the process wasn't exactly easy, although it wasn't as complicated as it looks like (really!), I wrote a post with all the steps in Transit and in Word. Post

Good luck,

Claudia

**About UPDATING Office files with embedded objects: You have to update each object individually every time you modify it. If not, the changes won't show up on the main file. Even if you don't use Transit, read my post so you can have an idea about how objects work and how you need to update them.

EDIT:

I'm an idiot. I somehow read "Excel objects" instead of "links to tables in Excel". Disregard my post.

[Edited at 2008-10-01 22:52]

Neth. Antilles
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Opening Word file in Tageditor Oct 2, 2008

Hi Jerzy,

I am trying to open the word file in Tageditor, as I need to start working on it. Do you have any idea for this?

Regards,

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I'm afraid the file might be to complex for your Tageditor Oct 2, 2008

Nevertheless, it helps a lot, if you download the Compatibility Pack for Office 2007, install it, open the Word file in Word 2003/XP, save it then as Word 2007. Then close Word, open it again, open the Word 2007 file you just created and save it again as Word 2003. Then try to open that one in Tageditor. Due to much better file structure in Word 2007 many corrupted details might be now repaired and you could be able to open the file. If this does not help, the only way I see is upgrading to SDL Trados 2007 SP2 and trying to open the file again - as Word 2003 or Word 2007.

And Transit is certainly a good solution - AFAIK it is the only tool which reads the embedded text and does not present it as graphic object.

Neth. Antilles
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I will try that Oct 2, 2008

and let you know which one worked. Thanks for the help.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unable to create translation file

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs