Workbench language recognition
Thread poster: L10N expert (X)
L10N expert (X)
L10N expert (X)
Brazil
Local time: 06:52
English
Oct 3, 2008

I wonder is it possibel to open for instance Russian ttx data with the help of English-Spanish memory? When you are creating a memory and provide a clean up you can insert any language and not necessary the one your memory was done for. Fox example, I can make English-Spanish memory and clean up Russian data, it does not recognize the language at this stage. But when I am trying to open the segment with the workbench and conect it to the memory finally it shows an alarm that the wrong language i... See more
I wonder is it possibel to open for instance Russian ttx data with the help of English-Spanish memory? When you are creating a memory and provide a clean up you can insert any language and not necessary the one your memory was done for. Fox example, I can make English-Spanish memory and clean up Russian data, it does not recognize the language at this stage. But when I am trying to open the segment with the workbench and conect it to the memory finally it shows an alarm that the wrong language is used. Is there any way to avoid the resulting in this alarm? Can I change any settings?Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:52
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, it is possible Oct 3, 2008

Basically, the source and target languages of the TTX file must match those of the memory. In order to do that, you have to options: a) create a new memory (which you don't want) or b) alter the language codes in the TTX file.

Let's go for the second thing. To change the language codes in the TTX:

1. Drag and drop the file to MS Word. As a TTX file is basically a Unicode text file, Word will propose to open it as a Unicode text file. Do it.

2. At the beginn
... See more
Basically, the source and target languages of the TTX file must match those of the memory. In order to do that, you have to options: a) create a new memory (which you don't want) or b) alter the language codes in the TTX file.

Let's go for the second thing. To change the language codes in the TTX:

1. Drag and drop the file to MS Word. As a TTX file is basically a Unicode text file, Word will propose to open it as a Unicode text file. Do it.

2. At the beginning of the file, look for tags SourceLanguage= and TargetLanguage=. These are ISO language codes. The first pair of letters are the language code as per the first column of the ISO 639-1 list you see here, and the second pair of letters is the ISO country code, as in the list you find here. (The codes used here are the same you see in a TXT export of a memory from Trados.)

3. Save the file as a Unicode text file. This should do it!

Code for Russian-Russia is then RU-RU as far as I can see.

Now, what I am not sure about (as I never work in non-Roman characters) is what will happen to the Cyrillic representation of Russian characters when you cheat Trados and say that it is English or Spanish. There is a chance that you will probably see it all garbled when working on the TTX file with a non-Cyrillic memory... Just let us know when you've tried.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Workbench language recognition

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »