https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/117044-how_to_protect_memory_from_cleaning_up_the_wrong_language.html

How to protect memory from cleaning up the wrong language?
Thread poster: L10N expert (X)
L10N expert (X)
L10N expert (X)
Brazil
Local time: 22:18
English
Oct 3, 2008

Does someone know is there any way to protect the memory from cleaning up the wrong language? I am quite oftern dealing with Swedish, danish languages and as personally do not speak any of them find it hard to control the process. As it doesn`t matter for memory which language to clean up inside is there any way to prevent the cleaning up of the wrong one? Maybe some special settings may be set?If I have Swedish memory and would like to prevent from inserting inside any other similar language ca... See more
Does someone know is there any way to protect the memory from cleaning up the wrong language? I am quite oftern dealing with Swedish, danish languages and as personally do not speak any of them find it hard to control the process. As it doesn`t matter for memory which language to clean up inside is there any way to prevent the cleaning up of the wrong one? Maybe some special settings may be set?If I have Swedish memory and would like to prevent from inserting inside any other similar language can I set any constraints and how?

Thank you for your help in advance!
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:18
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not in the case of Word Oct 3, 2008

In the case of uncleaned Word files, there is no definition inside of the file stating the source and target languages, so as far as I am aware it would not be possible to prevent the confusion.

In the case of TagEditor files (which internally contain data about the source and target languages), Trados does detect the wrong language and does not let you do the cleanup.

Maybe another reason to use TagEditor?...
See more
In the case of uncleaned Word files, there is no definition inside of the file stating the source and target languages, so as far as I am aware it would not be possible to prevent the confusion.

In the case of TagEditor files (which internally contain data about the source and target languages), Trados does detect the wrong language and does not let you do the cleanup.

Maybe another reason to use TagEditor?
Collapse

L10N expert (X)
L10N expert (X)
Brazil
English
TOPIC STARTER
Cleaned up Spanish TTX files inside Russian memory Oct 3, 2008

Thank you very much for your eagerness to help

It is weird as I have just cleaned up Spanish ttx files inside Russian memory without any problems... Maybe something wrong is with my setting? It did not give me any alert about cleaning up the wrong language...

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Which TM did you use to create the TTX? Oct 3, 2008

Hi Valeriia,
It is weird as I have just cleaned up Spanish ttx files inside Russian memory without any problems... Maybe something wrong is with my setting? It did not give me any alert about cleaning up the wrong language...

TagEditor or Workbench do not 'understand' what language a document is in. When a TTX is created, source and target language tags are inserted in the TTX header (to see them, open the TTX in a text editor and scan the header line, or search for "source").

Once the language pair is embedded in the TTX file, you must use a matching TM to work with it (or change the codes manually). For example, if you use a Russian->English TM to create the TTX, the language codes will be set accordingly, even if the content differs.

Best regards,
Ralf

L10N expert (X)
L10N expert (X)
Brazil
English
TOPIC STARTER
Created Spanish TTX with Spanish memory Oct 3, 2008

Dear Ralf,

Thank you very much for your help.

I have used Spanish memory to create and translate ttx data and then easily managed to clean up it into diverse Russian memory without any alerts that made me worry...I wish the memory gave me any warning while cleaning up the data... To avoid mistakes in future which may be caused my cleaning up the wrong language into the memory I would like to set any settings if possible? I assumed that TM shouldn`t let me to clean up th
... See more
Dear Ralf,

Thank you very much for your help.

I have used Spanish memory to create and translate ttx data and then easily managed to clean up it into diverse Russian memory without any alerts that made me worry...I wish the memory gave me any warning while cleaning up the data... To avoid mistakes in future which may be caused my cleaning up the wrong language into the memory I would like to set any settings if possible? I assumed that TM shouldn`t let me to clean up the wrong files, but... Can you advice something?

Thank you for your consideration!

Kind regards,
Valeriia
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Never had that problem, TBH Oct 3, 2008

Hi again,

I have used Spanish memory to create and translate ttx data and then easily managed to clean up it into diverse Russian memory without any alerts that made me worry...I wish the memory gave me any warning while cleaning up the data... To avoid mistakes in future which may be caused my cleaning up the wrong language into the memory I would like to set any settings if possible? I assumed that TM shouldn`t let me to clean up the wrong files, but... Can you advice something?

Not really, to be honest - I never had that problem (or never spotted it...).

It's possible that the protection feature embedded in TagEditor does not apply to cleanups.

Best regards,
Ralf

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Now I am wondering... Oct 3, 2008

Valeriia wrote:

Hm... Just to better understand the situation: When you open your "Spanish TTX file", what pair of languages do you see? AND, what pair of languages do you see in Translator's Workbench? Are they the same pairs?

(Edited to ask for actual pair, not just whether you see Spanish.)

[Edited at 2008-10-03 06:18]

L10N expert (X)
L10N expert (X)
Brazil
English
TOPIC STARTER
In the ttx data- EM-ES pair, inside TM-EN-RU Oct 3, 2008

Dear Tomas,

When I am opening Spanish ttx file I see EN-SP pair. Inside the TM the same thing occurs only instead of Spanish flag I see Russian one. Seems that TM does not care at all what language do I clean up in it. I have already tried to clean up to the same TM (EN-RU) not only Spanish data but Norwegian and Danish and still without any glitches it allows me to insert whatever I want. I need to stop this process somehow....

Kind regards,
Valeriia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to protect memory from cleaning up the wrong language?

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »