Trados 8: Translator's Workbench not connectable when using TagEditor
Thread poster: ice_choc
ice_choc
ice_choc
English to Thai
Oct 6, 2008

Hello,

I'm having a problem with Trados Translator's Workbench.
When I started TagEditor, it said the workbench was not running, and asked if I want to start it. I said Yes, but it gave an error message: "Attempt to start Translator's Workbench failed".
Then I tried using the Connect to Workbench button from TagEditor, but it still
gave the same error message "Attempt to start Translator's Workbench
failed".

It seems TagEditor can't be connecte
... See more
Hello,

I'm having a problem with Trados Translator's Workbench.
When I started TagEditor, it said the workbench was not running, and asked if I want to start it. I said Yes, but it gave an error message: "Attempt to start Translator's Workbench failed".
Then I tried using the Connect to Workbench button from TagEditor, but it still
gave the same error message "Attempt to start Translator's Workbench
failed".

It seems TagEditor can't be connected to Translator's Workbench. I'm not sure what happened. It still worked a week ago.

My OS is Windows Vista. My Trados version is 8 (build 822). My UAC is disabled by default. I tried uninstall and re-install it, but no use.

Does anybody have this kind of problem? How do you fix it?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-10-06 14:32]
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 18:28
English to Thai
+ ...
My experience Oct 6, 2008

I sometime met with this situation. What I always did was closing TagEditor and started WorkBench before TagEditor.
Reason: WorkBench was interrupted/interfered by certain OLEs. It is necessary to kill all of its instances (in TaskManager) and restart again CLEAN.

Regards,
SL

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:28
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Language pairs? Oct 6, 2008

Are you sure you have the same language pairs both in the Trados memory and in the TTX file?

ice_choc
ice_choc
English to Thai
TOPIC STARTER
Workbench still failed Oct 7, 2008

Hi,

Thank you for your answers and suggestions.

Starting Workbench first or later still gives the same result -- "Attempt to start Translator's Workbench failed".

Language pairs are the same.

I can work in TagEditor such as openning the segment, editing the translation and closing the segment. Also I can search for words with concordance in Workbench and even analyse or (auto) translate files with Workbench.
In other words, I can work se
... See more
Hi,

Thank you for your answers and suggestions.

Starting Workbench first or later still gives the same result -- "Attempt to start Translator's Workbench failed".

Language pairs are the same.

I can work in TagEditor such as openning the segment, editing the translation and closing the segment. Also I can search for words with concordance in Workbench and even analyse or (auto) translate files with Workbench.
In other words, I can work separately on both of them but can't connect them together.

Can't find what's the conflict.
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:28
English
Try this... Oct 7, 2008

Hello,

It seems that the link between Translators Workbench and TagEditor is corrupt, or being blocked by Vista. I think the first step would be to uninstall SDL Trados 2007 and then reinstall the software as an administrator. Please follow these instructions:

First, you will also need to download the latest version (835) including service pack 2, from your online SDL account.

Please follow these instructions in finding your download:

1. Please
... See more
Hello,

It seems that the link between Translators Workbench and TagEditor is corrupt, or being blocked by Vista. I think the first step would be to uninstall SDL Trados 2007 and then reinstall the software as an administrator. Please follow these instructions:

First, you will also need to download the latest version (835) including service pack 2, from your online SDL account.

Please follow these instructions in finding your download:

1. Please visit: https://oos.sdl.com/asp/products/ssl/account/default.asp
2. Login to your account
3. Go to "My Downloads"
4. Select the "SDL Trados 2007 Freelance" (or similar) link.
5. Please choose "SDL Trados 2007 Freelance (includes Service Pack 2)" and select "Download"
6. Save the file to your computer.

Now you have downloaded the latest version you will need to install SDL Trados 2007 as an administrator:

1. Return your license from License Manager
2. Uninstall SDL Trados 2007, Synergy and SDLX using Control Panel > Programs and Features
3. Right click on the new SDL Trados 2007 download and select "Run as Administrator" from the mouse menu.
4. Follow the installation instructions and install all recommended components.

If this doesn't help I would recommend you check you accounts access rights to make sure that you can write to your Windows Registry.

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team

[Edited at 2008-10-07 09:01]
Collapse

ice_choc
ice_choc
English to Thai
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Oct 8, 2008

Hi,

Thank you very much for the suggestion.
Too bad I've just had my pc formatted and re-installed Vista. Now my Trados works as it should be.

I will keep your solution for next time

Many thanks!!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 8: Translator's Workbench not connectable when using TagEditor

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »