Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 16:09
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Oct 6, 2008

On my new laptop I've got Vista Business, Word 2002 (office 2002) and McAfee.
I installed SDL Trados 2007 Freelance and Multiterm from fresh downloads, so they should be the newest versions.
Workbench and Tageditor work alright, but I wonder why Trados.dot does not appear in Word Startup-folder.
Where is Trados.dot? Not that I really want to use it in Word, but there are other issues in Word that seem to be in conflict with the firewall. I already removed the McAfee firewall and put Vista firewall in place, but functionality is not quite ok in Word. If I knew how to get Trados work in Word I would have solved these other problems too.
Regards
Heinrich

Direct link Reply with quote

pltsanve
Slovenia
Local time: 15:09
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Vista/Office versions Oct 7, 2008

Being used to XP searching for native folders in Vista can be quite annoying, but most should be found in User/App Data/Roaming/SW/... There is a good chance you may not see all of them unless you enable the visibility, since Vista "aims to defend" us from ourselves, by hiding everything that an average user wouldn't (shouldn't) need.

You could also try adding the trados.dot (it should be trados8.dot with 2007) under "templates and add-ins" in Word from the SDL folder. (I suppose you tried it, still, we all sometimes forget the simplest solutions.)

It could also be some compatibility issue with the Office. There's plenty of similar posts here at proz - perhaps try sth. like "Vista and Trados 2007".

BR, Vesna

[Edited at 2008-10-07 07:19]

Boris Kimel  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
Location Oct 7, 2008

\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP

[Редактировалось 2008-10-07 07:39]

Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Its not in the startup folder Oct 7, 2008

and the Trados icon does not appear in Word. I will try to locate the file and put it manually there, if the system accepts it.
Regards
Heinrich

pltsanve
Slovenia
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Manual Oct 7, 2008

The Trados8.dot should be in Program files/SDL International/T2007FL/TT/Templates (if adding it from word in "templates and add-ins" you need to browse to the same folder). You can than copy it to the location Boris specified.
Regards
Vesna

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
SDL Trados Menu in Word... Oct 7, 2008

Hello Heinrich ,

We have an article within the SDL knowledge base which should fix this issue. Please read the following article and follow the instructions provided:

http://talisma.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=1466&p=1

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team

Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to all Oct 7, 2008

Now the Trados plugin works in Word. But every time I close Word I'm asked if I want to save changes in Trados8.dot.
Regards
Heinrich

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
SDL Support... Oct 7, 2008

Hello Heinrich,

Try deleting the normal.dot template from the Word/Templates folder. If this doesn’t help then make sure that Word is "looking" in the correct location for the template:

1. Open Microsoft Word
2. Go to Tools > Templates and Add-Ins...
3. Select the Trados8.dot template from the list of templates and make sure that the file path is the Word/Startup folder.

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2007 on Vista

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs