Two PCs - where to store trans memory & termbase files?
Thread poster: Olson
Olson
Olson
Chinese to English
Oct 7, 2008

Hi folks,

I'm a newbie, and have a question regarding file management. I have Workbench and Multiterm installed on both desktop and laptop PCs. After I complete a translation job on one machine, I'd like to transfer the resultant translation memory and termbase data onto the other machine.

First, what files do I have to copy and where? Are there any folder/file management schemes that you'd recommend?

Here's my setup:

Desktop
Windows XP,
... See more
Hi folks,

I'm a newbie, and have a question regarding file management. I have Workbench and Multiterm installed on both desktop and laptop PCs. After I complete a translation job on one machine, I'd like to transfer the resultant translation memory and termbase data onto the other machine.

First, what files do I have to copy and where? Are there any folder/file management schemes that you'd recommend?

Here's my setup:

Desktop
Windows XP, SP2
Trados 6.6
Multiterm 6.0.1
MS Word (Office 2000)

Laptiop
Windows XP, SP2
Trados 6.6
Multiterm 6.0.1
MS Word (Office 2000)

I may not have used the correct terms, but the basic idea is I want to keep Trados in sync on both machines. I'd appreciate any help along this line.

Rusty Olson
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 19:08
English to Thai
+ ...
My idea Oct 8, 2008

If I were you, I will have my translation memory (TM) on the desktop and open to use with the laptop via Network. Trados allows use of TM and Termbase from the desktop. This will give you automatic synchronous update of TM and Termbase.

Regards,
SL

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:08
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Use the desktop as the ultimate archive Oct 8, 2008

If the laptop ever leaves your home, it's more vulnerable to damage, theft or loss than your desktop. So I suggest using your desktop as the ultimate archive for the TMs, termbases, completed jobs, and other relevant data. Make backups frequently.

Sporadically, copy the TMs and termbases to the laptop.

If you do a job on the laptop, be sure to copy the job to the desktop machine and clean it up in Trados to update the TM.

Use whatever foldering system makes
... See more
If the laptop ever leaves your home, it's more vulnerable to damage, theft or loss than your desktop. So I suggest using your desktop as the ultimate archive for the TMs, termbases, completed jobs, and other relevant data. Make backups frequently.

Sporadically, copy the TMs and termbases to the laptop.

If you do a job on the laptop, be sure to copy the job to the desktop machine and clean it up in Trados to update the TM.

Use whatever foldering system makes sense to you (which will probably depend on whether or not you have separate TMs and termbases for each client).

[Edited at 2008-10-08 04:44]
Collapse

Olson
Olson
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Specifically, which files and where? Oct 8, 2008

For example, I don't know whether a TM or termbase involves a single file or a main file with sub files. Where are the TMs and termbases located?

TIA,

Rusty Olson

Claudia Tirado (X)
Claudia Tirado (X)
Mexico
Local time: 06:08
English to Spanish
Maybe your usb Oct 8, 2008

It gets really messy to have different translation memories in your PC and laptop, the problem is to update them, sometimes you forget to do it or don`t remember if you did, etc. What I've done is to store the TM in an usb drive, I put it on my laptop whenever I go out, but since there is always the risk of losing such a tiny hard drive, I have a software that automatically makes backups of the files inside the usb, with the time and date, so in case of an emergency I will know exactly wich was ... See more
It gets really messy to have different translation memories in your PC and laptop, the problem is to update them, sometimes you forget to do it or don`t remember if you did, etc. What I've done is to store the TM in an usb drive, I put it on my laptop whenever I go out, but since there is always the risk of losing such a tiny hard drive, I have a software that automatically makes backups of the files inside the usb, with the time and date, so in case of an emergency I will know exactly wich was the last one I worked with...Collapse

Olson
Olson
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
USB flash drive - great suggestion Oct 8, 2008

Thanks for your suggestion. I'll try it. As stated in my original post, I'm a newbie at Trados and don't know where the TM and termbase files are located. I'd appreciate it if you can tell me what files I should copy onto a USB flash drive.

TIA,

Rusty Olson

Claudia Tirado (X)
Claudia Tirado (X)
Mexico
Local time: 06:08
English to Spanish
it depends Oct 9, 2008

Hi, I'm glad to help. To be honest I don't know for sure where those files are stored in your case, I have Trados 2007 and Office 2007, but I guess the location depends on you, wether you are working with a tm someone gave you or you are creating one you must specify where those files are or where to store them, so in both cases you have to choose the usb drive.
I suggest you to watch the tutorials and practice with them, they are really useful, I learned with them, and I hope someone can
... See more
Hi, I'm glad to help. To be honest I don't know for sure where those files are stored in your case, I have Trados 2007 and Office 2007, but I guess the location depends on you, wether you are working with a tm someone gave you or you are creating one you must specify where those files are or where to store them, so in both cases you have to choose the usb drive.
I suggest you to watch the tutorials and practice with them, they are really useful, I learned with them, and I hope someone can help you more with the files location.

Best regards
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:08
English to Hungarian
+ ...
files Oct 9, 2008

Well, the answer is simple. They are wherever you have put them, obviously.
Like MS word, Trados Translator's Workbench can open files irrespective of their location.
If you got TM's mailed to you they are wherever you saved them, if you created new TMs from sctatch, they are where you chosen to create them.

Trados TM files: iix, mdf, mtf, mwf and tmw extensions with the same file name (ALL of them are needed)
Multiterm: mdb and ldb. ldb may not be necessary, I am
... See more
Well, the answer is simple. They are wherever you have put them, obviously.
Like MS word, Trados Translator's Workbench can open files irrespective of their location.
If you got TM's mailed to you they are wherever you saved them, if you created new TMs from sctatch, they are where you chosen to create them.

Trados TM files: iix, mdf, mtf, mwf and tmw extensions with the same file name (ALL of them are needed)
Multiterm: mdb and ldb. ldb may not be necessary, I am not sure.

You can copy TMs over to a different computer and use them straight away. I am not so sure about mdb's. I think Multiterm reorganizes them before you can use them and that can be annoyingly long. I don't know if using a USB key that is always assigned the same drive letter (or copying the termbase ito the same folder on your hard drive) would trick Multiterm into accepting a termbase as the same termbase, even after it has been used and updated on a different machine.

The bottom line is, it is easier to use the same computer for work and only switch if you really need to.
Collapse

Olson
Olson
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Precisely the info I needed Oct 9, 2008

>> Trados TM files: iix, mdf, mtf, mwf and tmw extensions with the same file name (ALL of them are needed)

Thanks for the detailed information, as well as your suggestion to use a single PC for Trados work.

I'm more accustomed to using the desktop PC with a large monitor and better keyboard. But for mobility's sake, I might have to do all my work on the laptop. At home, I'll just borrow the monitor and keyboard from my desktop machine and hook them up to the laptop. Pre
... See more
>> Trados TM files: iix, mdf, mtf, mwf and tmw extensions with the same file name (ALL of them are needed)

Thanks for the detailed information, as well as your suggestion to use a single PC for Trados work.

I'm more accustomed to using the desktop PC with a large monitor and better keyboard. But for mobility's sake, I might have to do all my work on the laptop. At home, I'll just borrow the monitor and keyboard from my desktop machine and hook them up to the laptop. Pretty soon, I won't be needing the desktop tower.

Thanks y'all for your help.

Rusty Olson
Collapse

yerdemli
yerdemli
Local time: 15:08
English to Turkish
where is *.tmw Oct 12, 2008

When I open translator's workbench, the memory with the extension *.tmw is shown at the menu to be within T2006/TT folder. However, when I open the folder to copy the file, it just isn't seen there. I also need to transfer the memory to another PC, how can I find the related file?

[Değişiklik saati 2008-10-12 11:44]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Two PCs - where to store trans memory & termbase files?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »