https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/117539-simulating_the_propagate_function.html

Simulating the Propagate function
Thread poster: Anmol
Anmol
Anmol
Local time: 13:31
Oct 8, 2008

I've been puzzled by the lack of a Propagate function in Trados, which other tools such as DV seem to provide. Unless, of course, I am mistaken, and there is a Propagate function tucked away somewhere in Trados. Actually, I'm not even sure I fully understand what the Propagate function is supposed to do in theory.

I recently found a way to simulate the propagate functionality, however.

a) Perform a concordance search for the term in question
b) In the concordanc
... See more
I've been puzzled by the lack of a Propagate function in Trados, which other tools such as DV seem to provide. Unless, of course, I am mistaken, and there is a Propagate function tucked away somewhere in Trados. Actually, I'm not even sure I fully understand what the Propagate function is supposed to do in theory.

I recently found a way to simulate the propagate functionality, however.

a) Perform a concordance search for the term in question
b) In the concordance window, edit the target text for the segment
c) Do this for all segments in the concordance window
d) Re-translate the source unclean file with the Update Document option enabled.

Seems to do the job, although the propagate functionality in some form would have been useful. It's not the most efficient, so any comments or other solutions would be appreciated.
Collapse

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:01
German to English
+ ...
If you want a propagate function for Trados Oct 8, 2008

You can always translate the pre-segmented file in DV Things generally go much faster that way.

Anmol
Anmol
TOPIC STARTER
Love these tool "wars" Oct 8, 2008

I haven't used DV much, but tool comparisons are always pretty interesting and enlightening. In the area of relational databases, for instance, I have always thoroughly enjoyed the inevitable slugfests with Oracle fans, being a Sybase fan myself (which subsequently 'found its way' into Microsoft SQL Server).

As a matter of fact, I was looking for a general CAT Tools forum to post this thread, but there is none.

Kevin Lossner
Portugal
German to English
+ ...
CAT Tools Technical Help Oct 8, 2008

Anil Gidwani wrote:
As a matter of fact, I was looking for a general CAT Tools forum to post this thread, but there is none.

I think that is a general forum for CAT tools.

I'm not much for the wars. I prefer to look for ways to get the work done most efficiently, and very often more than one CAT tool is required. Don't think it all goes one way with DVX & Trados. There are some DV projects that would be unthinkable (technically infeasible) without preparation in Trados. I have had graphics-laden Word files bloat a DV project to more than a gigabyte - a real nightmare. Make a TTX out of the same file, and you have a small, fast DV project that generally runs without trouble.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:01
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Propagate - Dangerous in my opinion Oct 8, 2008

Hm... Actually the Propagate function in some CAT tools makes me shiver. When I saw it running it really raised some concern. I am so happy that Trados does not have one!

It could be that it is not very dangerous in other languages, but in the case of Spanish it's really no good if we want to be thorough and be safe with translations in context.

Kevin Lossner
Portugal
German to English
+ ...
One must be careful Oct 8, 2008

Tomás Cano Binder wrote:
Hm... Actually the Propagate function in some CAT tools makes me shiver. When I saw it running it really raised some concern. I am so happy that Trados does not have one!

Well, I have to agree with you. It can be more dangerous as a fuzzy match if you assume that it is equivalent to a 100% match. I made some serious errors in projects with this feature until I became sensitized to the risks and the need to watch carefully for certain common errors like missing terminal numbers and parentheses or garbled numbers in the middle of a sentence.

The one useful feature of propagate for me is that when I do word counts on a job in progress, it gives me a feel for how much "truly new" material is left to work on.

Anmol
Anmol
TOPIC STARTER
I stand corrected Oct 9, 2008

Kevin Lossner wrote:

Anil Gidwani wrote:

I think that is a general forum for CAT tools.

Yes, there it is, isn't it. I wonder if the moderator would consider a request to move this thread to that forum.

Anmol
Anmol
TOPIC STARTER
Multiple translations for identical source segments Oct 9, 2008

I agree, Tomás, propagate functionality can be dangerous.

In the simulation outlined above, however, there is no cause for concern PROVIDED the option "Multiple translations for identical source segments" was not enabled when creating the Trados TM. As a result, editing a segment manually, itself guaranteed to be a unique segment by virtue of the properties of the TM, ensures that changes are thoroughly vetted before being propagated to the source file.

So in a sense
... See more
I agree, Tomás, propagate functionality can be dangerous.

In the simulation outlined above, however, there is no cause for concern PROVIDED the option "Multiple translations for identical source segments" was not enabled when creating the Trados TM. As a result, editing a segment manually, itself guaranteed to be a unique segment by virtue of the properties of the TM, ensures that changes are thoroughly vetted before being propagated to the source file.

So in a sense, Trados a) allows controlled propagation, however convoluted the procedure to do so b) does not allow propagation within the TM but only to a source file, another 'regulatory' mechanism, if you will. ( quite a popular word these days! )

Just for the record, I am no fan of Trados, especially its interface or help files, but am beginning to find some of its features quite useful.

[Edited at 2008-10-09 05:19]
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 10:01
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Propagate? Oct 9, 2008

So in a sense, Trados a) allows controlled propagation, however convoluted the procedure to do so b) does not allow propagation within the TM but only to a source file

What does Propagate do, that File > Maintainance in TWB does not?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Simulating the Propagate function

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »