https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/117563-convert_tageditor_file_to_excel.html

Convert TagEditor file to Excel
Thread poster: Siobain McAlister
Siobain McAlister
Siobain McAlister  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 09:31
German to English
Oct 8, 2008

Hi,

I am trying to convert a TagEditor, Version 8.0 file back to excel, does anyone have any ideas as to how to do this?
I tried to clean and save as target and I get the error message: connection with server application error unable to find original file
Any ideas? Thanks

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:31
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Where is the original file? Oct 8, 2008

Do you have the translated ttx file in the same directory, as the original Excel file?
Did you change the name of the ttx file?
When you open the Excel file in Tageditor and simply press the save button, the file for translation has the same name as the Excel plus the ttx extension. You should not change this name. Then you just need to go to File, say "Save targe as" and give a different name for your target Excel file or - if you may not change this name - save it into a subfolder
... See more
Do you have the translated ttx file in the same directory, as the original Excel file?
Did you change the name of the ttx file?
When you open the Excel file in Tageditor and simply press the save button, the file for translation has the same name as the Excel plus the ttx extension. You should not change this name. Then you just need to go to File, say "Save targe as" and give a different name for your target Excel file or - if you may not change this name - save it into a subfolder of your working folder.
Collapse

Siobain McAlister
Ireland
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
I do not have the original Excel file Oct 8, 2008

I received one file from the client, it was already converted into Trados. I translated the file in Trados and now want to convert the document back into its original Excel format.

Should I ask the client for the original file to save in the same folder, ie will this solve the issue if the original (unconverted excel file) and the translation (still in Trados) are under the same folder?

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
German to English
+ ...
No original, no target file Oct 8, 2008

In situations like this the client usually expects only the TTX file back from you. You cannot generate a target Excel file without having the source file. The clent can generate the English Excel file himself/herself using your translated TTX.

Siobain McAlister
Ireland
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
original excel file or the trados file with only source segments Oct 8, 2008

Thanks for your response. When you say source file do you mean the original excel file or the trados file with no translated segments, only source?

Marina Soldati
Marina Soldati  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 05:31
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Excel file Oct 9, 2008

Hi!

The source file Kevin mentions is the original Excel file, without it you cannot save the ttx (TagEditor) file as target, just send the ttx file to your client.

Regards,
Marina

Anthony Kehoe
Anthony Kehoe  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:31
Japanese to English
TTX to Excel Conversion Jun 2, 2010

But what do you do when what you received was the Excel file? You save Excel 2007 as an Excel book, and then import the book into Tag Editor, complete the translation, and... how do you then convert back to Excel? (I.e., the client never realised you were using Trados.)

Marina Soldati
Marina Soldati  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 05:31
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Save target as Jun 2, 2010

Kimpatsu wrote:

But what do you do when what you received was the Excel file? You save Excel 2007 as an Excel book, and then import the book into Tag Editor, complete the translation, and... how do you then convert back to Excel? (I.e., the client never realised you were using Trados.)

When your translation is ready, in TagEditor, you just go to File - Save Target as and the file is converted back to Excel.
Beware that the source file will be overwritten, so you´d better make a copy of it first.

Hope this helps

Marina

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Convert TagEditor file to Excel

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »