Mobile menu

Help about Trados TM and Wordfast TM
Thread poster: thekidRMIT
thekidRMIT
Local time: 04:22
English to Vietnamese
Oct 9, 2008

Hi All
I have problem with TM of wordfast and Trados when I test merging TM of word fast to TM of Trados. Both TM I have export to *.tmx. When I working on Wordfast I can import and merge TM which exported by Trados, I cannot import TM of wordfast to TM of Trados even *.txt or *.tmx. If I import file from *.tmx there will have a notification tell that there are a problem with tw4win.exe and need to be restart. If I import file in *.txt format there will be a notification that the import was sucessful but there was no word or term import to the TM. Please help me

Direct link Reply with quote

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 23:22
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Two possibilities Oct 9, 2008

Hi thekidRMIT,
I would suggest that you try
1.) exporting in txt format, or
2.) the freeware TM editor Olifant, available at http://okapi.sourceforge.net/Release/Olifant/ReadMe.htm
The latter may be very useful for other purposes, too.
Kind regards,
Attila

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Some comments Oct 9, 2008

thekidRMIT wrote:
If I import file in *.txt format there will be a notification that the import was sucessful but there was no word or term import to the TM.

The Wordfast TM format's file extension is 'TXT'. Trados has several TM formats, and one of them also has the file extension 'TXT'. If you tell Trados to import a Wordfast TM, Trados will think that it is import its own TXT format. This my be why Trados says "success!" when importing a 'TXT' TM. Perhaps Trados is confused and does not realise that that TM is a Wordfast TM.

If I import file from *.tmx there will have a notification tell that there are a problem with tw4win.exe and need to be restart.

This should not happen. I suspect there is something wrong with your Trados installation. A faulty TMX file should not normally cause Trados to crash.

Under normal circumstances, Trados will be able to import a TMX file created by Wordfast. There is a small chance that here is something in the TMX file that Trados does not like. I'm no expert at that -- I hope someone else helps you.

thekidRMIT
Local time: 04:22
English to Vietnamese
TOPIC STARTER
Help about Trados TM and Wordfast TM Oct 11, 2008

If I import file from *.tmx there will have a notification tell that there are a problem with tw4win.exe and need to be restart.

This should not happen. I suspect there is something wrong with your Trados installation. A faulty TMX file should not normally cause Trados to crash.

Under normal circumstances, Trados will be able to import a TMX file created by Wordfast. There is a small chance that here is something in the TMX file that Trados does not like. I'm no expert at that -- I hope someone else helps you.
[/quote]
but there are 3 computers in my company have instralled Trados and 3 computer have the same error. My company have used Trados more than 1 year and it work well with no problem occur. I wonder if the wrong from the wordfast because I just use the trial version not the full version so the export may not complete. It's just my guest

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Indeed, Trados hangs on malformed TMX... Oct 11, 2008

Samuel Murray wrote:

thekidRMIT wrote:

Under normal circumstances, Trados will be able to import a TMX file created by Wordfast. There is a small chance that here is something in the TMX file that Trados does not like. I'm no expert at that -- I hope someone else helps you. [/quote]

Trados may hang/crash on malformed TMX files.
It's not frequent but it happens.

Check your TMX file against a tool like TMX Validator.
http://www.maxprograms.com/freetools/tmxvalidator.html
Then use Olifant or a good txt editor like Notepad++ and fix your TMX.

Cheers
GG

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help about Trados TM and Wordfast TM

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs