Mobile menu

Suggestions for TM Cleanup?
Thread poster: KJIDTP
KJIDTP
Local time: 02:31
English
Oct 10, 2008

We have a Translation memory that we want to update with terms in our termbase. Does any one have any suggestions as to the quickest and easiest way to do this?

Direct link Reply with quote

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 09:31
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
If I understand you correctly ... Oct 10, 2008

We have a Translation memory that we want to update with terms in our termbase. Does any one have any suggestions as to the quickest and easiest way to do this?

... you want to synchronize the terminologies, i.e. update target contents with correct, up-to-date translations of words in the source?

Tough, as far as I can tell. What language pair are you talking about? if there's declination involved for instance, you cant avoid manual work. I would proceed along these lines:

i) create a collection of questionable source words - could be by frequency, some list, manual ...
ii) create a reference vocabulary based on your TM (source, correct target)
iii) for each pair
extract those segments, that have the source word, but not the target
process these segments (or alternatively create (source, correct target, wrong target)

It's pretty much "hairballic".

When I do this kind of exercise, it helps to know that 80% is good enough. The problem is only, to identify those 80%

Regards

Vito

PS: dont forget to make backups - and then backups of backups ...

[Edited at 2008-10-10 20:00]

KJIDTP
English
TOPIC STARTER
To clarify Oct 10, 2008

Vito thanks for your help.

Yes we have a translation memory we have been using, however there are inconsistencies with our glossary/termbase. We are preparing to send the language TMs out to translators - the glossary has translations for multiple languages.

We and our translators use Trados 2006-2007. I've been trying to find the best way for them to go through the TM looking for the inconsistencies. Whether they should be proofing screen by screen in the Maintenance mode of Trados Workbench, or searching key words listed in the termbase using the Concordance search in Trados Workbench.

I had hoped there would be a way to extract the English into a ttx or some format that would allow them to easily scan through the entries in the TM and see when a glossary term is available. It's a very large glossary as well as TM, thousands of entries.

Just looking for the most efficient way for something like this to be done.

Thanks

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:31
English to French
+ ...
XBench Oct 10, 2008

I suggest you use XBench: http://www.apsic.com/en/products_xbench.html

All you need to do is create a project and add your termbase as a key terms file and add the TM (as .txt) as an ongoing translation file (you will need to read the relevant sections of the manual).

Then, you can run quality check in XBench, and the results will be all translation units in the TM that contain the source term in your TDB but don't contain the target term (that is, these units don't apply the TDB).

Or you can simply run a search in XBench on each source term in your TDB. The results will be all units in the translation memory that contain the source term. However, when you click on each result, if the term in the TDB was applied, the target term will appear in red in the bottom pane, so you will easily be able to skip all results that already use the correct target term, and you can then concentrate on the units that do not use the current terminology.

If you still have the bilingual documents used to create the TM, you can do something much better. Load the existing TM in Trados Workbench and add the bilingual documents to your XBench project as ongoing translation files. I recommend to add one document at a time, walk through the process, and then remove the bilingual document and add the next one. When you get the quality assurance results, you can right-click each result and click on Edit Source - this will open the bilingual document in the program used to edit it (Word documents are opened in Word, TTX files are opened in TagEditor). However, the document will open with the appropriate segment centered on the screen and highlighted. Thus, this method is faster than any other. Now, you only need to open the segment, edit the term, and Set/Close. The TM is updated as you go.

All the best!

[Edited at 2008-10-10 22:04]

KJIDTP
English
TOPIC STARTER
XBench Oct 10, 2008

Thank you Viktoria! I'll have to give it a try on Monday

Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 09:31
Member (2005)
English to Polish
+ ...
Olifant Oct 11, 2008

KJMeg wrote:

Export your TM to TMX format and use Olifant (a free TMX editor, part of the Okapi tools framework, can be found on sourceforge).

The advantage of Olifant is that it lets you perform complex SQL queries on your TMX (much more complex than are possible in Trados Workbench or SDL Maintain), for example: find units where source contains X and target does not contain Y.

Heartsome has a commercially available TMX editor, but I'd say that it is not as advanced as Olifant.

Make sure that your TMX does not contain any characters which are not allowed in XML (a TMX file is basically an XML file), Olifant will refuse to import it. Unfortunately, both Trados Workbench and SDL Maintain can export TMX files which do not comply with the XML specification.

HTH

Piotr

KJIDTP
English
TOPIC STARTER
TM cleanup programs Oct 22, 2008

My problem with Xbench is getting the files to load correctly. You mentioned some documentation on the program? I couldn't find what I needed in the Help menu, is there other documentation that I can look at?

For Olifant I was able to load my TM in fine, but I do not think I will want to recommend this program to our translators because they also need to do a verification of all the translations. Since the tags are broken down in Olifant into text it makes it very difficult to read and compare the source and target translations.

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:31
English to French
+ ...
User manual in the program folder Oct 27, 2008

KJMeg wrote:

My problem with Xbench is getting the files to load correctly. You mentioned some documentation on the program? I couldn't find what I needed in the Help menu, is there other documentation that I can look at?

Sorry if I replied so late. The user manual is in the ApSic > XBench program file. Make sure you read all of it (will take you about an hour). It is very easy to use but there are a few things you need to be aware of to make sure that you make the most of XBench and that it works as expected.

All the best!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggestions for TM Cleanup?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs