Just changed to Vista and Office 2007
Thread poster: Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:00
German to English
Oct 15, 2008

Well, let's just say it hasn't been a smooth move. I wonder if any of you have answers to the following issues:

1) Tageditor is not stable and crashes repeatedly for no obvious reason
2) I just cleaned a Word file and don't appear to have a .BAK
3) Which folder should the template/add-in be located in? It is not opening by default, I have to manually open it when I open Word
4) Is there a reason why the shortcuts in Tageditor and Word are different? E.g. translate
... See more
Well, let's just say it hasn't been a smooth move. I wonder if any of you have answers to the following issues:

1) Tageditor is not stable and crashes repeatedly for no obvious reason
2) I just cleaned a Word file and don't appear to have a .BAK
3) Which folder should the template/add-in be located in? It is not opening by default, I have to manually open it when I open Word
4) Is there a reason why the shortcuts in Tageditor and Word are different? E.g. translate to fuzzy. In Word CTRL * and in Tageditor Alt *. This one is driving me nuts!!

Thanks for your help
Gillian
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 20:00
English to Czech
+ ...
Some replies provided, more info needed Oct 15, 2008

Hi Gillian,
here are some replies to your questions. Not all of them are 100 % but you haven't given us much to work with. When discussing a technical problem, you should always provide other forum members with information on your OS (actually you provided that in the header), Trados version (or even better Trados build number), and RAM size.

Q1) Tageditor is not stable and crashes repeatedly for no obvious reas
... See more
Hi Gillian,
here are some replies to your questions. Not all of them are 100 % but you haven't given us much to work with. When discussing a technical problem, you should always provide other forum members with information on your OS (actually you provided that in the header), Trados version (or even better Trados build number), and RAM size.

Q1) Tageditor is not stable and crashes repeatedly for no obvious reason;
A1) No reason, no solution. Anyway, try registering Trados (find the selfregister.bat file and run it; usually located in c:\Program Files\SDL International\T2007(_FL)\TT\). Also, make sure you have the latest .NET and Java Runtime Environment installed. If these don't help, you can try reinstalling Trados. But before you do that, check whether your Trados build is at least 820 (i. e. Trados 2007). If it is not, you might not be able to work under Vista or with Word 2007.

Q2) I just cleaned a Word file and don't appear to have a .BAK
A2) Have you cleaned it from Word, or from TagEditor?

Q3) Which folder should the template/add-in be located in? It is not opening by default, I have to manually open it when I open Word
A3) It's in your Office\Startup folder (example: c:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE12\STARTUP\)

Q4) Is there a reason why the shortcuts in Tageditor and Word are different? E.g. translate to fuzzy. In Word CTRL * and in Tageditor Alt *. This one is driving me nuts!!
A4) Should be the same in fact, but you can redefine the Word shortcuts in the Macros menu in MS Word.

[Upraveno: 2008-10-15 11:45]

[Upraveno: 2008-10-15 11:46]

[Upraveno: 2008-10-15 11:54]
Collapse

Gillian Searl
United Kingdom
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Build 822 Oct 15, 2008

2) I cleaned from word of course otherwise I wouldnt be asking the question.

Stanislav Pokorny
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Upgrade Oct 15, 2008

Try upgrading to the latest version which is 835. The upgrade file should be available from your profile on Translationzone.com / Lspzone.com.

Anmol
Anmol
Local time: 23:30
Trados upgraded? Oct 15, 2008

I'm assuming you have not also upgraded to Trados 2007.

I had similar problems when I upgraded to Vista and Word 2007. The problems disappeared when I was "arm-twisted" into upgrading to Trados 2007 as well.

The fundamental problem, I believe, is that Word 2007 uses a different document format, and saves files as .docx files. Trados 2006 cannot fully deal with this format, apparently.

Stanislav Pokorny
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Gillian has Trados 2007 Oct 15, 2008

Anil Gidwani wrote:

I'm assuming you have not also upgraded to Trados 2007.

I had similar problems when I upgraded to Vista and Word 2007. The problems disappeared when I was "arm-twisted" into upgrading to Trados 2007 as well.

The fundamental problem, I believe, is that Word 2007 uses a different document format, and saves files as .docx files. Trados 2006 cannot fully deal with this format, apparently.

Hi Anil,
I believe Gillian does have Trados 2007 as her Trados build is 822. Trados 2006 are all the builds 7.xx (i.e. starting with 7). But she hasn't upgraded to the latest version which is build 835.

[Upraveno: 2008-10-15 19:31]

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
SDL Trados Support Oct 16, 2008

Hello Gillian,

The Word cleanup macro does not create a .bak file. However, if you would like a .bak file then please use the Clean-up tool in Translators Workbench. Please follow these instructions:

First, please save your Word document as a .doc file
1. Open the file in Word 2007
2. Go to Save As and select the "Word 97 - 2003" option

Now configure Translators Workbench:
1. Open Translators Workbench
2. Go to Options > Translation
... See more
Hello Gillian,

The Word cleanup macro does not create a .bak file. However, if you would like a .bak file then please use the Clean-up tool in Translators Workbench. Please follow these instructions:

First, please save your Word document as a .doc file
1. Open the file in Word 2007
2. Go to Save As and select the "Word 97 - 2003" option

Now configure Translators Workbench:
1. Open Translators Workbench
2. Go to Options > Translation Memory Options > Select the Tools tab
3. Make sure that the option "TRADOStag XML workflow for Word .doc files" is turned off. This is so you can cleanup a file that was translated in Word.
4. Select the option "Keep backup"
5. Press OK to accept all changes.

Please cleanup the Word file and you should now receive a .bak file in the same folder as the original document.

Also, you are entitled to free installation and licensing support. If your software is not running optimally then please visit our solution finder to help you find a solution to your problem. If your problem is not resolved, you will be given a support form to fill out. The support form will then be sent to our support team, who will get back to you as soon as possible.

To visit the solution finder please follow these instructions:

1. Please visit: https://oos.sdl.com/asp/products/ssl/account/default.asp
2. Login with your username and password
3. Go to "My Support"
4. Select "Licensing and Installation Help"
5. Read the instructions and then select the "Solution finder direct link"
6. Select the "Download and Installation Problems" link in the left hand navigation pane
7. Answer the questions accordingly

Again, you will be given a support form to fill out if you don't find a solution.

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team
Collapse

Gillian Searl
United Kingdom
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Got the latest build now Oct 17, 2008

I hadn't realised the file I used wasn't the latest so at least that problem is sorted. It's always tricky setting up a new machine.

Hi Gareth,
Glad to see you guys here - we need you

So with the .bak file did I understand you correctly that you have basically scrapped it for Office 2007 documents/the latest build unless I save the doc as an older version of Word? If so I think that is a terrible de
... See more
I hadn't realised the file I used wasn't the latest so at least that problem is sorted. It's always tricky setting up a new machine.

Hi Gareth,
Glad to see you guys here - we need you

So with the .bak file did I understand you correctly that you have basically scrapped it for Office 2007 documents/the latest build unless I save the doc as an older version of Word? If so I think that is a terrible decision - we freelancers usually have to send back to the agencies we work for clean and unclean versions and it's the simplest way of doing that.

Are you trying to force people to use Tageditor and get away from Word? I really don't like working on Word docs in Tageditor because you can't see use the Word features, or to say it in a different way it adds in an extra step in terms of then going back into Word and re-checking everything is fine.

Thanks for your input.
Gillian
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Just changed to Vista and Office 2007

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »