https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/118135-trados%3A_too_many_format_paint_colors_in_source_text.html

Trados: Too many format paint colors in source text
Thread poster: Taylor Kirk
Taylor Kirk
Taylor Kirk  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:34
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Oct 16, 2008

I pulled up a document to translate in Trados, and there are like 20 colors in each segment, as if each little piece of a word had a different font. I checked the document and the entire thing is in the same font and size, all in single paragraph, and there are no other formatting differences at all with the exception of a few bits of bold text. Why is Trados detecting format changes everywhere when there doesn't appear to be any?

Many thanks!
Taylor

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 05:34
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Document from ocr Oct 16, 2008

It is probably scanned text. Apart from fonts there can be all kind of changes you don't notice in Word. You could save the text as txt and load back into Word and put the bold formatting in place. After that you should have a clean document for translation in TE or SDLX etc.
Or you could translate the stuff in Word with Trados plugin or Wordfast or the like. Then you don't see those tags at all.
Cheers
Heinrich

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 09:34
English to Thai
+ ...
My tactics Oct 16, 2008

I met with this frequently. It is quicker to edit the file after translation if it is Word, Excel, Power Point, html file etc.
I ignore SDL format paints in many silly situations to save time.
SL

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 05:34
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Can be dangerous Oct 16, 2008

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.) wrote:

I met with this frequently. It is quicker to edit the file after translation if it is Word, Excel, Power Point, html file etc.
I ignore SDL format paints in many silly situations to save time.
SL

It happened to me that the target format became Symbol font, and I had to re-edit all by hand. But ignoring format painting may work in simple text documents.

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 04:34
English to Czech
+ ...
Had a similar problem just a week ago Oct 17, 2008

I just converted ITD files into TTX, translated everything using Traods and reimported the files back to ITD once I was finished. I agree with Heinrich: I wouldn't just simply "forget about tags".

But I would definitely ask my client to prepare a better file. BTW, I have prepared a checklist for my regular clients that they should go thru before sending me a file for translation. Most of them understand this because they have seen Trados in action on my laptop....
See more
I just converted ITD files into TTX, translated everything using Traods and reimported the files back to ITD once I was finished. I agree with Heinrich: I wouldn't just simply "forget about tags".

But I would definitely ask my client to prepare a better file. BTW, I have prepared a checklist for my regular clients that they should go thru before sending me a file for translation. Most of them understand this because they have seen Trados in action on my laptop.

[Upraveno: 2008-10-17 12:10]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados: Too many format paint colors in source text

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »