source and target texts
Thread poster: aydin kaya
aydin kaya
aydin kaya  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:34
English to Turkish
+ ...
Oct 20, 2008

Does trados have a property to write source and target texts in a single file?

as an example:
I am currently translating a training document, original file is in English, but the customer wanted to see the source text next to the Target text as line after line. If anyone knows, it would be appreciated.

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:34
English to French
+ ...
No direct method Oct 20, 2008

I am afraid there is no method that will let you do that automatically.

So far, the best method I've found is to simply create a new file, create two columns in that file, paste the source text in both columns, and then translate the right column (ultimately target text) in that file. Once you clean the file, you will have a side-by-side file, as requested by the client. Of course, since the text can shift slightly, if the client really needs to see everything perfectly side by side
... See more
I am afraid there is no method that will let you do that automatically.

So far, the best method I've found is to simply create a new file, create two columns in that file, paste the source text in both columns, and then translate the right column (ultimately target text) in that file. Once you clean the file, you will have a side-by-side file, as requested by the client. Of course, since the text can shift slightly, if the client really needs to see everything perfectly side by side, you will need to align things a bit.

May I ask what purpose a side-by-side file would serve for your client? If the client wants to search and replace strings in the original file, it may be a good idea to let them know that you can handle HTML files, Quark files, etc., and that your translation method and software keeps the original formatting. I have a hunch the client wants to have control over the translation on their end without realizing that they are needlessly complicating things for you. A little client education in such cases can go a long way.
Collapse

Jorge Payan
Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 07:34
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
That is how I would do it... Oct 20, 2008

1. Open the bilingual file in Word
2. Select all
3. In Format>Font>Uncheck "Hidden"
4. All the source text and target text should appear now, separated by the segment delimiters.
5. Replace all the ocurrences of "" by hard returns
6. Replace all the ocurrences of "" by hard returns

That should be it . Some trimming might be needed in the replace operations.

Jorge Payan
Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 07:34
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
The HTML swallowed some codes. This is the corrected procedure Oct 20, 2008

1. Open the bilingual file in Word
2. Select all
3. In Format>Font>Uncheck "Hidden"
4. All the source text and target text should appear now, separated by the segment delimiters.
5. Replace all the ocurrences of "" by hard returns
6. Replace all the ocurrences of "{>" by hard returns
7. Replace all the ocurrences of "

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 14:34
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Two-column Word file Oct 20, 2008

aydin kaya wrote: Does trados have a property to write source and target texts in a single file?

Download the PlusToyz Word plugin by Alexij Visotski. There you have the direct conversion from a bilingual trados file to two-column table RTF (and back, plus a lot of other useful conversions).

URL: http://www.geocities.com/avvysotsky/PlusToyz.zip

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

source and target texts

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »