Problem with clean up of Word document - blank document after cleaning
Thread poster: Neil Barnes
Neil Barnes
Neil Barnes  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:29
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 20, 2008

Today I tried to clean an unclean document containing both source text and target text. I did this using the Workbench (tools>clean up). To my horror, the new clean Word document was completely blank! I have since tried this with about 6 other documents, and the same thing is happening. All the resulting documents are totally blank with no text.

Can anyone advise please?

Thanks.

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:29
Spanish to English
+ ...
as a rapid solution .... Oct 20, 2008

Neil Barnes wrote:

Today I tried to clean an unclean document containing both source text and target text. I did this using the Workbench (tools>clean up). To my horror, the new clean Word document was completely blank! I have since tried this with about 6 other documents, and the same thing is happening. All the resulting documents are totally blank with no text.

Can anyone advise please?

Thanks.

Have you tried sending it to a colleague to see if they can clean it up?

Alternatively, try cleaning up with Wordfast (if you haven't got it, ask a colleague).

Then you can at least deliver the job, and then focus on figuring out the problem.

I'm only making these suggestions as you may be desperate by now:-)

Neil Barnes
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 20, 2008

Yes, I gave it to an agency, and it does not work there either. I have tried other files on my PC as well, and they do not work either.

To deliver to the client I cut the Word document and pasted it in a new one, using the "without formatting" command, then adding formatting myself. This does not allow me to update/export the new memory though. I have not thought about Wordfast as I don't know how to use that program, and I don't know anyone who has it either. Thanks for the advice
... See more
Yes, I gave it to an agency, and it does not work there either. I have tried other files on my PC as well, and they do not work either.

To deliver to the client I cut the Word document and pasted it in a new one, using the "without formatting" command, then adding formatting myself. This does not allow me to update/export the new memory though. I have not thought about Wordfast as I don't know how to use that program, and I don't know anyone who has it either. Thanks for the advice though.
Collapse

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Offer of help Oct 20, 2008

Neil Barnes wrote:

To deliver to the client I cut the Word document and pasted it in a new one, using the "without formatting" command, then adding formatting myself. This does not allow me to update/export the new memory though. I have not thought about Wordfast as I don't know how to use that program, and I don't know anyone who has it either. Thanks for the advice though.

Depending on how confidential your text is, if you wish to send it to me, I'll try.

The reason I suggested Wordfast is that it has helped me out in the past when Trados failed me.

Barbara Pillmeier
Barbara Pillmeier  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
same problem Oct 20, 2008

Hi,
exactly the same problem happened a few days ago when I was under time pressure to deliver a translation. Fortunately it was a short text and I simply typed the translated version.

Anyway, I found out that this had to do with Multiterm. I had installed the new Multiterm Desktop version and something corrupted the connection with workbench.

I deinstalled it and reinstalled it. After this the clean-up worked again. I have no idea what it really was, but it worke
... See more
Hi,
exactly the same problem happened a few days ago when I was under time pressure to deliver a translation. Fortunately it was a short text and I simply typed the translated version.

Anyway, I found out that this had to do with Multiterm. I had installed the new Multiterm Desktop version and something corrupted the connection with workbench.

I deinstalled it and reinstalled it. After this the clean-up worked again. I have no idea what it really was, but it worked. If you do this, be careful to click "no" when the installing wizard asks you if you want to restore your termbases. So they remain were they are and you can easily import them again.

Maybe this works four you as well.

Best regards,
Barbara
Collapse

Neil Barnes
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 20, 2008

Thanks Barbara, I have tried to reinstall Trados, and now it will not reinstall! It has come up with a message saying "The contents of this file cannot be unpacked. The executable you are attempting to run has been corrupted. Please obtain another copy of the file, verify its integrity, and try again."

Barbara Pillmeier
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Multiterm or Trados? Oct 21, 2008

Hello Sam,

did you uninstall Trados or Multiterm?

In my case it was the Multiterm Program that has corrupted the Trados Workbench, especially in the "Term recognition option" I was unable to click Multiterm 7, it would only show Multiterm 5 that could not be changed and then the clean-up option gave me an empty word document when I tried to integrate a .BAK document that a colleague had sent.
I deinstalled and reinstalled Multiterm only.

But maybe i
... See more
Hello Sam,

did you uninstall Trados or Multiterm?

In my case it was the Multiterm Program that has corrupted the Trados Workbench, especially in the "Term recognition option" I was unable to click Multiterm 7, it would only show Multiterm 5 that could not be changed and then the clean-up option gave me an empty word document when I tried to integrate a .BAK document that a colleague had sent.
I deinstalled and reinstalled Multiterm only.

But maybe it is also a good idea to reinstall both programs so that everything works smoothly.
I saw the message that you managed to reinstall Trados. So, I hope everything is well now. Sometimes it is so annoying that the SDL-programs are so sensitive and you don't know what is wrong.
Now, the Multiterm tells me: "Multiterm cannot create a termbase" when I tried to create a termbase with a new subject. No idea why - well, I must find a solution for that, too. But for the time being I will just leave it as everything else works well.

Barbara
Collapse

Barbara Pillmeier
Germany
English to German
+ ...
sorry... Oct 21, 2008

for renaming you Sam!

Of course, I meant Neil!
Forgive me, it was too early in the morning!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with clean up of Word document - blank document after cleaning

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »