https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/118547-odd_substitutions_in_trados_65.html

Odd substitutions in Trados 6.5
Thread poster: Riikka Hase
Riikka Hase
Riikka Hase
Germany
Local time: 03:00
English to Finnish
+ ...
Oct 21, 2008

Hello!

A few weeks ago, I started having problems when translating using my good old Trados 6.5.

The letters
ä
ö
ü
and
ß
are suddently being substituted by &%§ and similar.

The substitutions appear to happen when I import a txt-file into the TM. I have started a brand new TM and as soon as I import a txt (with UTF-8 code), the substitutions take place.

I do not think that I have made any changes to th
... See more
Hello!

A few weeks ago, I started having problems when translating using my good old Trados 6.5.

The letters
ä
ö
ü
and
ß
are suddently being substituted by &%§ and similar.

The substitutions appear to happen when I import a txt-file into the TM. I have started a brand new TM and as soon as I import a txt (with UTF-8 code), the substitutions take place.

I do not think that I have made any changes to the settings, and this just suddenly appeared some time ago. Especially with txt-files from my clients who use newer versions of Trados.
Is there anything I could do, or do I finally have to buy a current version of Trados

Thankyou for your help!

best,
Riikka Hase
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Try to change the encoding of the TXT file Oct 21, 2008

To me it looks like a possible solution would be to change the encoding of the TXT file before importing it.

There are some tools that change encoding, but the simplest way to do it would be to open the UTF-8 TXT file in Word and save it as a text file with a different name. When you save the text file, Word will let you specify the encoding. Choose the "Windows (default)" radio button (thus disabling the Unicode UTF-8 setting from the list).

Now import the file with a
... See more
To me it looks like a possible solution would be to change the encoding of the TXT file before importing it.

There are some tools that change encoding, but the simplest way to do it would be to open the UTF-8 TXT file in Word and save it as a text file with a different name. When you save the text file, Word will let you specify the encoding. Choose the "Windows (default)" radio button (thus disabling the Unicode UTF-8 setting from the list).

Now import the file with a new memory and give it a try. I hope this helps!
Collapse

Riikka Hase
Riikka Hase
Germany
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thankyou Oct 21, 2008

I changed the setting from UTF-8 to ansi and that seems to have done the trick.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Odd substitutions in Trados 6.5

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »