Mobile menu

Trados Terminology Verifier cannot detect inconsistency correctly in Chinese Traditional
Thread poster: Serene Poon

Serene Poon
Local time: 16:27
English
Oct 22, 2008

Hi,

In TW, I load a multilingual termbase created in multiterm 7. From TagEditor, I selected Terminology Verifier plugin and run verify on the target Chinese Traditional TTX file.

There are 2 terms not consistent with termbase. However, only the 1st term is reported.

2nd term is detected as a term its TU is opened but the inconsistent translation is not detected by the Verifier.

Is this a known bug for Asia languages? Is there a solution or workaround to this problem?

I am using English Windows XP and SDL Trados Translator's Workbench 8.2.0.835 - (Build 835). Part of SDL Trados 2007.

Thanks for any help/advice you can offer.

Direct link Reply with quote

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 10:27
English to Czech
+ ...
A mere suggestion Oct 22, 2008

Hi Serene,
I have no experience with eastern languages, so I am afraid I cannot offer a solution to your problem.
But I have employed QA Distiller (www.yamagata.com) for a year or so and this tool is extremely helpful and accurate. They have a 30-day free trial, so you might go and check it out.

Serene Poon
English
TOPIC STARTER
QA Distiller works, bug in Trados term verifier Oct 23, 2008

Hi Stanislav,

Thanks for your suggestion. Yes, you're right regarding QA Distiller. My counterpart ran this file on QA Distiller and it can accurately report both inconsistency terms. As we later found out, this problem in Terminology Verifier extends to all languages, not just eastern ones.

Without buying support contract with SDL, there seems no available avenue for users to report issues and bugs found on SDL softwares. It is a disappointment that SDL expects users to pay them in order to help them improve their products.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 10:27
English to Czech
+ ...
SDL Support Oct 23, 2008

Hi Serene,
yes I do agree with you about buying software support (in general). If you buy a DVD player, you get a 2-year warranty. If you purchase a software product, you buy it usually "as is", as the formula in the licence agreements says. No warranty, no support, no nothing.

On the other hand, I quite understand why SDL Intl. are doing this: remember they are the industry leader and if they were to reply to every single complaint they wouldn't be doing anything else. Reasons:
1. There are several hundreds of thousands of installations of Trados running around the globe
2. The software has so many bugs that SDL would get hundreds of queries and complaints every single day
3. Some Trados users are simply too lazy to read at least the most important part of Trados documentation and would overburden SDL with questions like "I cannot see the source text while translating in Word". And you know what? I am not a green user of Trados or CAT tools in general, and I got caught asking such a stupid question myself not even two weeks ago...

As I see it, paying for support is more or less a sort of protection against wasing time on tens of thousands of useless queries. I don't like paying for software support, but I suspect there is little I can do about it.

To compensate at least a little, Gareth Powell from SDL Intl. is keeping his eye on this forum and often has very inspirating inputs.

Just an opinion...

[Upraveno: 2008-10-23 07:25]

Serene Poon
English
TOPIC STARTER
To: Gareth Powell/SDL Oct 23, 2008

Hi Stanislav,

Yes, that makes sense from business perspective. I'll look forward if Gareth Powell from SDL Intl. (by any chance) would comment on this Trados bug.... Thanks so much for your input.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Terminology Verifier cannot detect inconsistency correctly in Chinese Traditional

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs