Mobile menu

Moving Single-User Trados License onto New Computer
Thread poster: sophie_jane
sophie_jane
Local time: 15:10
German to English
Oct 23, 2008

I have a single-user Trados 2007 user license and have got a new laptop. I want to move Trados over to this computer, but when I go to the license manager section to find the license location, nothing is stored and there is only the option of adding a location.

Without this server location, I can't move Trados over to the new computer.

Has anyone had this problem or know of a solution?

Thanks for your help!

Direct link Reply with quote

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
No need to migrate Oct 23, 2008

Hi Sophie,
when you purchased Trados, you purchased a licence which should allow you to run the software on two different computers, such as a desktop and a laptop. So just install Trados on your laptop, connect to the Internet and use your licence key to unlock the second copy of the software. It should be working.

But be careful about licence files: As opposed to v. 2006, Trados 2007 does not use licence files (*.lic) anymore. If you want to migrate your licence to a different computer, you first have to use the Licence Manager to deactivate one instance of Trados so you can use your licence (unlock) code on a different computer.

Wilmer Brouwer
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
+ ...
View activated licenses Oct 23, 2008

sophie_jane wrote:

I have a single-user Trados 2007 user license and have got a new laptop. I want to move Trados over to this computer, but when I go to the license manager section to find the license location, nothing is stored and there is only the option of adding a location.

Without this server location, I can't move Trados over to the new computer.

Has anyone had this problem or know of a solution?

Thanks for your help!

If you go to View Activated Licences it should give you the option to return a licence.
I think after returning it you should be able to use it on another computer, but I haven't tried this yet.

Esther Lavedrine
France
French to English
Locate the license file Oct 23, 2008

Search your computer for a file called license.lic.
The first row in this file should read:
"# This is a license file from TRADOS Incorporated."
Once you have found it, save it carefully in a specifically designated folder, where you can use it again if required for reinstallation purposes.

sophie_jane
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
FAO Stanislav Pokorny - license key Oct 23, 2008

By license key, do you mean activation code? I can't actually find anywhere where I have a license key, only an activation code or a part number?

Thanks!

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
No way Oct 23, 2008

Esther Lavedrine wrote:

Search your computer for a file called license.lic.
The first row in this file should read:
"# This is a license file from TRADOS Incorporated."
Once you have found it, save it carefully in a specifically designated folder, where you can use it again if required for reinstallation purposes.

Hi Esther, with the release of version 8.xx (which is the one sophie_jane has), Trados has discontinued using the system of licence files. All licences are now activated online.

By the way, AFAIK even the old licence files contained information on your hardware so you couldn't just copy the .lic file from one computer to another. You had to deactivate it from one computer first and then reactivate it on the other one. Unless you are using the well-known "Techtrans" cracked (or perhaps multi) licence file, of course.

[Upraveno: 2008-10-23 12:47]

sophie_jane
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
FAO Stanislav Pokorny - license key Oct 23, 2008

So far, no luck!

I am reluctant to uninstall Trados from my desktop and if it is possible to install it on a laptop as well, I'm not sure I know how.
I have downloaded Trados and MultiTerm onto the laptop and when I try and activate online by entering my activation code, I get the error "could not contact activation server (Error code 50018)".

Is this the route I'm supposed to go down for activating Trados and MultiTerm on my laptop or is this not what you meant?

Thanks for your help!

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Connection problem? Oct 23, 2008

sophie_jane wrote:

I have downloaded Trados and MultiTerm onto the laptop and when I try and activate online by entering my activation code, I get the error "could not contact activation server (Error code 50018)".

Thanks for your help!

Hi sophie_jane,
first of all, you don't have to uninstall Trados from your desktop. Your licence entitles you to use two installation of Trados on two different computers at the same time.

Next, yes, this is exactly the way I meant it. The error message you get points to problems with internet connection. So make sure you are connected to the Internet when trying to activate your licence on your laptop, and make sure the Internet connection is running properly, i. e. with no interruptions.

Esther Lavedrine
France
French to English
Good point about the version Oct 23, 2008

Hi Stanislav,

Thanks for informing me about Trados 2007. It's true I'm using the Trados 2006 version.
Actually I did not have any problem installing Trados on my new laptop without deactivating the license file from my old laptop. I can't remember exactly what I did as it happened last year.
OF COURSE, I did not use any crack software, would never think of it...!!!!

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
License file: v. 2006 Oct 23, 2008

Esther Lavedrine wrote:

Hi Stanislav,

Actually I did not have any problem installing Trados on my new laptop without deactivating the license file from my old laptop. I can't remember exactly what I did as it happened last year.
OF COURSE, I did not use any crack software, would never think of it...!!!!

Hmm, maybe I was wrong about the license file storing info about your computer's hardware. That's the only logical explanation.

sophie_jane
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Connection problem - no. Oct 24, 2008

[/quote]

Hi sophie_jane,
first of all, you don't have to uninstall Trados from your desktop. Your licence entitles you to use two installation of Trados on two different computers at the same time.

Next, yes, this is exactly the way I meant it. The error message you get points to problems with internet connection. So make sure you are connected to the Internet when trying to activate your licence on your laptop, and make sure the Internet connection is running properly, i. e. with no interruptions. [/quote]

I definitely have a connection to the internet on my laptop, but this error message stilll appears ("could not contact activation server (Error code 50018)"). It is as if Trados cannot find a server to connect to. If I have only ever downloaded Trados onto my desktop, there should stilll be a "spare" license for my laptop, right? Online on the sdl license if I log in and look at my licenses, it says under status "0 of 1 available" as if I have already downloaded it and can't do it again.

Any suggestions?

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Solution Finder... Oct 24, 2008

Hello Sophie,

You are entitled to free installation and licensing support.

I recommend you visit the solution finder, designed to help users fix their problems. We urge you to follow the solution finder step by step and, if your problem is not resolved, you will be given a support form to fill out. The support form will then be sent to our support team, who will get back to you as soon as possible.

To visit the solution finder please follow these instructions:

1. Please visit: https://oos.sdl.com/asp/products/ssl/account/default.asp

2. Login with your username and password

3. Go to "My Support"

4. Select "Licensing and Installation Help"

5. Read the instructions and then select the "Solution finder direct link"

6. Select the "Licensing Problems" link in the left hand navigation pane

7. Answer the questions accordingly

Again, you will be given a support form to fill out if you don't find a solution.

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Firewall settings? Oct 24, 2008

sophie_jane wrote:
If I have only ever downloaded Trados onto my desktop, there should stilll be a "spare" license for my laptop, right? Online on the sdl license if I log in and look at my licenses, it says under status "0 of 1 available" as if I have already downloaded it and can't do it again.
Any suggestions?

I get the "0 of 1 available" after installing only 1 license too. Doesn't matter, I can still install the second one.

I have just tried to unregister and re-register my Trados license and everything is working, so there is probably no problem with Trados server.
Just guessing: if you're using a firewall, try to switch it off. This means not just disabling it, but stop the process from Windows Task Manager.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Moving Single-User Trados License onto New Computer

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs