Mobile menu

Setting up a really simple termbase with MultiTerm 7
Thread poster: Rod Walters

Rod Walters  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 03:01
Japanese to English
Oct 23, 2008

I've been using Trados for years, and I've never figured out how to set up and populate a termbase with more than just source and target terms. I've always proceeded by ignoring all optional setting in both the MultiTerm setup wizard and Convert.

Now I really need to set up a termbase with source and target terms, and a notes section, and then import an Excel file with (I assume) 3 columns. I have a file with the columns Japanese, English, and Notes.

I've read the MultiTerm Guide and explanation on eCoLoTrain, and neither help at all. They assume that you know what all the Field Labels, Levels and whatnots are. Trouble is, I have no idea, and the Guide doesn't explain them.

I'm using MultiTerm 7 and Excel 2002.

Can anybody explain how to proceed, or point me to some documentation that explains this?

(Incidentally, does anybody else have the problem where Convert can't seem to handle files over 1,000 entries so that after import, one of the languages doesn't show up in MultiTerm?)

Thanks!

Rod

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-10-23 11:00]

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:01
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Maybe my description may help you Oct 23, 2008

You can find a brief description of converting an Excel sheet to a Multiterm termbase here.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
MultiTerm Import Oct 23, 2008

Field labels in your case: Japanese, English, and Notes
Index fields: Japanese, English
Descriptive field: Notes; select TEXT from the drop-down list

You then have to set up a new MultiTerm database with the same structure of entries as in MultiTerm Convert:

Term level: English
Descriptive field level: Notes
Term level: Japanese

Japan
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you both Oct 24, 2008

I have yet to try these (no time!), but they are exactly the clear, simple, task-oriented instructions I'm looking for. Many thanks.

After the weekend when I've had time to try again, I'll post my results.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Patience Oct 24, 2008

You will have to be patient though. I remember importing my first Excel sheet into MultiTerm after five days of reading the MultiTerm manual and hundreds frustrating failed attempts.

But once you understand what MT Convert and MT want from you, and they want a clear definition of term structures, every conversion will be a matter of minutes and a few clicks.

Cheers,

Stanislav

Japan
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Notes don't show in terminology pane Oct 27, 2008

I found that following the procedure linked by Jerzy was easiest. Simply loading the .xdt file is the surest way of getting the same structure. However, the structure itself is the problem. I believe I created what Stanislav suggested in Convert, which was recreated in MultiTerm.

My patience was tested by this issue, and unfortunately not rewarded.

Wherever I chose to put the Notes in the structure, they appear in the Entry Pane of MultiTerm. However, in Translator's Workbench, the Notes don't appear in the Terminology Pane. If I click on the blue book icon, they appear in the window that opens. (Also, the notes are full of unwanted HTML-type tags.)

I still don't know what the structure should look like for the simple termbase I need.

In the MultiTerm guide, the Definition: title appears in bold black, whereas my Notes title is grey, plain plain. I assume that in the example in the Guide, the Definition appears in Workbench too.

Do you have any further suggestions or links?

Cheers!

Rod

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Text fields never appear in the Workbench Oct 27, 2008

Because a text field may be undefinitely long, it is not shown in the Terminology Pane in the Workbench. You can see only attribute fields there and only those, located at the Term Level.
So it is pretty normal what you are experiencing.

Japan
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Looks like I'm sorted then Oct 27, 2008

Jerzy, I see.

Now I have a termbase populated with 40,000 SAP terms. I have notes which I can see in Workbench with a click (the notes are ugly with weird tags, but usable). This meets my needs reasonably well, so I'm doing OK.

Thanks again Jerzy and Stanislav for your help. I need to spend some more time with the manual to get the details down pat.

Shannon Summers  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:01
Member (2008)
French to English
Broken link Oct 20, 2009

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

You can find a brief description of converting an Excel sheet to a Multiterm termbase here.

Jerzy, I'm running into the same problem as Rod, hundreds of failed attempts to convert an XML file to MT. I found this post, but your link to the description seems to be broken. Can you please re-post or send new link?

Thanks!

link Oct 20, 2009

http://trados-training.tts-td.com/Multiterm.pdf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Setting up a really simple termbase with MultiTerm 7

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs