Mobile menu

symbols in Trados
Thread poster: Martina Amstutz

Martina Amstutz  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:10
English to German
+ ...
Oct 23, 2008

I have an annoying problem. I received an export file with a very large TM from someone who uses Trados version 7. I just opened a new memory in my Trados version 6.5 and imported the export file, but now most of the special symbols appear in a strange way. Example:

Toutes les tâches liées à l\rquote octroi du brevet sont confiées à une commission chargée de l\rquote assurance qualité (instead of ' \quote appears).

Someone once suggested to use the function "search and replace", but this is a memory of around 100.000 units, so it would take me hours to do that. Is there a simpler solution?

Looking forward to your suggestions,
Martina

Direct link Reply with quote

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:10
English to French
+ ...
Try emEditor Oct 23, 2008

Look up emEditor at download.com and install it. Make sure you get the free version. Actually, it is not really a free version, because after 30 days of usage, it gives you a nag message when you open it. It asks you if you are going to buy emEditor soon - just say yes, and it will let you keep using it.

emEditor is a Notepad replacement. It will do a bunch of things that Notepad will not do. Its biggest advantage for translators is that it can handle huge files very easily. While Notepad crashes on search and replace operations of TMs that contain more than a few thousand units, emEditor is absolutely stable and lightning fast.

So, what you would need to do is download and install emEditor, open the exported .txt TM in it and do a search and replace operation where you specify that all occurrences of \rquote need to be replaced by a French apostrophe. Once you are done, just in case, run a search for the slash character to see if there are any other French characters that are not showing correctly, and search and replace those as well using the same method.

This should fix it all. I am very happy with emEditor, and although I could keep using it free with the nag message, I think it deserved the $40 investment. It is on my list of software to buy before the year is over (I am just too swamped at the moment to buy and upgrade software, and my accounting is also lagging behind).

All the best!

Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:10
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Looks like an encoding problem Oct 24, 2008

I have an annoying problem. I received an export file with a very large TM from someone who uses Trados version 7. I just opened a new memory in my Trados version 6.5 and imported the export file, but now most of the special symbols appear in a strange way.

I am assuming you received a TXT export file.
In that case, what would probably resolve your problem is this:
Open the TXT file in Notepad, and then save it as an ANSI txt file.
Then try importing it into a new Trados 6.5 TM.

If that does not work, then you will need to ask your client (or whoever gave you the TM) to recreate the export as a Trados 6 version export.
It is possible, on the export dialog ther is a pull-down list to pick the version.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

symbols in Trados

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs