Thread poster: a.muniz

a.muniz
United States
Local time: 14:29
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 23, 2008

Hi,
I need to do the wordcount for a .ttx file with SDL Trados 7 - Tage Editor, and I cannot figure out how. The "Help" file says:

"Word counts are displayed in the ITD tab of the Properties dialog box. The Properties dialog box is displayed when you select File, Properties from the menu."

However, the properties dialog box only has a TRADOStag tab, and there is no word count there. I would really appreciate any help on this. Thanks

Allan

Direct link Reply with quote

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:29
English to French
+ ...
You need to execute the wordcount operation first Oct 23, 2008

I have never used the ITD tab to check the wordcount so far, but I have a hunch that it will only display the wordcount once you have executed the wordcount operation.

To do the wordcount, you need to open Workbench, click on Tools > Analyse, navigate to the TTX file you want to perform the wordcount on and execute the wordcount. Note that you can specify where you want to save the wordcount log. You can send that log to your client, use it for quoting/invoicing and I recommend you keep it in your administration folder just in case. The ITD tab should now display the wordcount.

Please note that, since it appears that the ITD tab is dependent on the wordcount operation, you may need to execute the wordcount operation again as you progress with the translation if you need the ITD tab to display an up-to-date wordcount.

All the best!

[Edited at 2008-10-23 19:11]

a.muniz
United States
Local time: 14:29
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Merci beaucoup! Oct 23, 2008

That was exactly what I needed to know. Thank you very much Viktoria, you have been a great help!

tectranslate ITS GmbH
Local time: 22:29
German
+ ...
The help file also says: Oct 24, 2008

"If you are working on an SDLX document the ITD tab is displayed instead of the TradosTag tab"

This means the word count feature in Trados TagEditor is only available for SDLX .itd files, not for .ttx files.

Performing an analysis of the TTX file is the only way to get a word count, and it will not show up in the file's properties. That is, the ITD tab is NOT dependent on the analysis and repeating the analysis will always yield the same number of total words.

Regards,
Benjamin

InfoTom
Local time: 16:29
English to German
+ ...
How to see how many words are translated/done while working in TagEditor Nov 8, 2008

Hi colleagues,

I wonder if there is a way to see how many words are translated/done while working in TagEditor - similar to statistics in SDLX???

Thanks so much in advance!

Tom

[Edited at 2008-11-08 20:42]

BeCrystalClear  Identity Verified
English to Dutch
+ ...
What InfoTom said [bump] Aug 26, 2010

I was wondering the same thing. Anyone?

I wonder if there is a way to see how many words are translated/done while working in TagEditor

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Member (2009)
French to German
+ ...
Look at the status bar Aug 26, 2010

The status bar in TE shows the number of characters in the current selection. In addition, you may use the command 'Tools - Count Characters' (CTRL-T).

If you do this in the 'Target View" and switch to displaying tags without text, you will get a quite accurate counting.

Walter

BeCrystalClear  Identity Verified
English to Dutch
+ ...
Thanks Walter! Oct 18, 2011

It took a while for me to see your reply, but I still want to thank you for your very helpful suggestion!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tag Editor .ttx file - word count issue

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs