Thread poster: Marion Rooijmans

Marion Rooijmans
Netherlands
Local time: 20:50
English to Dutch
+ ...
Oct 24, 2008

Hi,

I searched the forum for an answer to my question, but couldn't find it. However, if this question has already been asked, please post a link to the relevant topic.

I translated a part of a big project and now the client has asked me to review a second part, translated by another translator. The PM has sent me an export of the TM, which, as far as I can see, only contains the translated segments I translated so far, the segments from the first part of the translation. Is there any way I can see what changes the client has made in my translation, so I can keep those in mind when reviewing the second part? The file is rather big, so going through one segment at a time is not an option.

Thanks,
Marion

Direct link Reply with quote

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
ApSIC Comparator... Oct 24, 2008

Marion Rooijmans wrote:

I searched the forum for an answer to my question, but couldn't find it. However, if this question has already been asked, please post a link to the relevant topic.

I translated a part of a big project and now the client has asked me to review a second part, translated by another translator. The PM has sent me an export of the TM, which, as far as I can see, only contains the translated segments I translated so far, the segments from the first part of the translation. Is there any way I can see what changes the client has made in my translation, so I can keep those in mind when reviewing the second part? The file is rather big, so going through one segment at a time is not an option.

As I'm drinking my first cup od java today, a more intelligent approach may exist...

1) Create an empty TM
2) Import the TM provided by the PM
3) Search for the source files of your first part of job
4) Pretlanslate with the TM
5) Download ApSIC Comparator (google it...)
6) Compare the pretlanslated files and your output files from the first part of job.

Cheers
GG

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Translate to fuzzy Oct 24, 2008

If the segment is in the TM and the translation has been edited, the segment is shown with different color background (yellow, rather than green) when you open it in Tageditor. If you click on the "Translate to fuzzy" button, tageditor moves from segment to segment, and only stops when finds a sentence that is not exactly the same as an entry in the TM.
So, depending on what you have, you can either use your own TM and open the edited .ttx files, or use the edited TM (i.e., TM created from the edited ttx files by the client) and your original ttx files.
HTH,
Attila

Marion Rooijmans
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Oct 24, 2008

Grzegorg, thank you for your solution. I downloaded ApSIC and was just figuring out how it works, when Attila replied. Attila, as your approach would be just as effective and less time-consuming, that's the way I compared the final translation with what I had submitted to the client. I might use ApSIC another time.

Thank you both for your quick and clear replies!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Comparison in TagEditor

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs