https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/119081-translating_xml_files_as_unicode.html

Translating xml files as unicode
Thread poster: Kyoung-ae Kim
Kyoung-ae Kim
Kyoung-ae Kim
South Korea
Local time: 04:28
English to Korean
+ ...
Oct 27, 2008

Would you please help me to tackle this problem?

My client gave me an instruction like "to make sure that the translation is entered as Unicode for xml, also called universal character set (for example &# 54924;&# 49324; instead of 회사(Korean characters))". (I changed the example for here but anyway.)

I translated the xml files using TagEditor and saved Target as usual. And I opened one of the translated xml files in Notepad to check whether it was saved as unicode
... See more
Would you please help me to tackle this problem?

My client gave me an instruction like "to make sure that the translation is entered as Unicode for xml, also called universal character set (for example &# 54924;&# 49324; instead of 회사(Korean characters))". (I changed the example for here but anyway.)

I translated the xml files using TagEditor and saved Target as usual. And I opened one of the translated xml files in Notepad to check whether it was saved as unicode or not. It was not shown like &# 54924;&# 49324; but 회사 (Korean characters) to me (a Korean version Windows user).

And it was saved as encoding UTF-8 so I thought it was ok because the encoding attribute in the xml file was also UTF-8 like / xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" /. As I know, using the same encoding in the encoding attribute is one way to avoid errors like shown unrecognisable characters in the Web.

I sent all the translated xml files to the client, but my client asked me back that I should "enter as Unicode or universal character set" again.

What is the problem here and what do you think I can do?

[Edited at 2008-10-28 06:54]
Collapse

Spiros Doikas
Spiros Doikas  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:28
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
Entities Oct 28, 2008

Your client wants numeric entities; not UTF-8. UTF-8 displays the characters as you see them in printed form.

In order to produce numeric entities save the xml file with latin-1 encoding. They should be able to do it on their side; apparently there is some challenge on the technical side of things.

Kyoung-ae Kim
Kyoung-ae Kim
South Korea
Local time: 04:28
English to Korean
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Oct 29, 2008

Hi Spiros,

Thank you for your answering my question!

I did research a lot and realised how I could deal with this type of matters with unicode.

It's all because of you. I appreciate your reply!

Have a great day!

Best regards,

Kyoung-ae

[Edited at 2008-10-29 01:03]

Spiros Doikas
Spiros Doikas  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:28
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
You are welcome Oct 30, 2008

-:)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating xml files as unicode

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »