Trados license - multiple installations not allowed??
Thread poster: Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI

Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 22:58
Member (2008)
English to Czech
Oct 28, 2008

While installing Trados, I got surprised by the following EULA statement:

"This Agreement permits Customer to use only one (1) copy of the Product at a time (in object code format only), on only one (1) workstation, terminal or other device (a “Workstation Computer”), solely for Customer’s internal business purposes. If Customer has purchased multiple licenses for the Product, then at any time Customer may have as many copies of the Product in use on a Workstation Computer as Customer has licenses; provided, however, that the total number of users (not the concurrent number of users) that are permitted to use the Product shall not exceed the number of licenses. The Product is “in use” on a Workstation Computer when it is loaded into the temporary memory (RAM), or installed into the permanent memory (hard drive, CD-ROM, or other storage device) of that Workstation Computer."

Does that mean that a user is not allowed to have - just example - Trados councurrently installed both on a home PC and on another PC in a cottage or wherever?
Of course only one copy would be used at a time by one user on only one PC (the user can't divide himself ), but the SDL definition of "use" is kind of weird IMO.

Opinions? Experience? Thanks.

[Edited at 2008-10-28 16:24]

Direct link Reply with quote

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
No longer related to a physical dongle Oct 28, 2008

The situation you explain is very much the same for many professionals here. We have been using Trados for almost a decade and quite liked the dongle license, which we could take with us home or in trips. Unfortunately that is over now and only electronic licenses are available.

You can install Trados in a 1,000 machines if you like, but in order to run it in working mode you will need a license which is generated from and for your computer over the Web. So if you want to use Trados in another machine, every time you change machines you need to return the license to Trados' website and generate a new one for the second machine. As far as I am aware, of course...

Czech Republic
Member (2008)
English to Czech
TOPIC STARTER
Only this? Oct 28, 2008

every time you change machines you need to return the license to Trados' website and generate a new one for the second machine.

You mean I can have both installations, I only remove / add licenses ad infinity without the need to buy another license (as long as I'm the only user)?

Czech Republic
Member (2008)
English to Czech
TOPIC STARTER
OK here it is - and back to the past Oct 28, 2008

Well I think I got it (in the installation guide):

"Returning a License or Licensing your Product on a Different Computer
To license your product on a different computer you simply return the license to the online activation centre and then use it to activate the product on the other computer.
1 From the Start menu select Program Files > SDL Trados 2007 > License Manager. The SDL
License Manager dialog box is displayed.
2 Click View Licenses. The Installed Licenses dialog box is displayed.
3 Select the license to be returned and click Return License. The license is returned to the online product activation centre.
You can now install the product on another machine and then activate the product online using the same product activation key."

Thanks for a hint, Tomás!

But back to my original question, what are anybody's concerns as to removing the whole installation to stick with the "one user" EULA rule? Taking it literally, as I understand it, I should not only return the license, but remove the product, install it in the other place, then remove it there and install it back at home - and all this joy just because of getting out of home PC over the weekend? Does actually someone apply the complete unistallation in a case like this?
("Product is “in use” on a Workstation Computer when it is loaded into the temporary memory (RAM), or installed into the permanent memory (hard drive, CD-ROM, or other storage device) of that Workstation Computer.")

Alexander Chisholm  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
This is why I'm happy to stick with version 6.5 for the moment!! Oct 28, 2008

I have Trados version 6.5 installed on 2 desktops and 1 laptop, but obviously only have one dongle. But this gives me the freedom of working wherever I like with the only problem being remembering to take the most recent versions of my TMs with me.

Several clients are "kvetching" about the fact I use version 6.5 but I'm reluctant to change until this situation is resolved.

When I looked into the possibility of upgrading versions a little while ago, I understood that Trados could be installed on different PCs but that only one instance of the program could be running on the same network at any one time (fine!!). If this is not the case, then my procrastination will continue.

Åsa Campbell  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 06:28
English to Swedish
Two computers is ok Oct 28, 2008

Hi,

You can install Trados to two computers, for example your desktop and your laptop, without returning the license.

This is approved by SDL, see comment in this thread

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/112520-installation_of_trados_on_2_computers.html

Hope this helps,
Åsa

Oops, forgot to say that these two computers must not be on the same network.

[Redigerad 2008-10-28 18:23]

Sandra& Kenneth  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 23:58
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
Two computers, no network Oct 28, 2008

Alexander,
You understood correctly.
You can install Trados Freelance on two different computers using the same activation code. IOW, you can take your laptop to the top of the Himalayas if you wish and work contentedly in peace and quiet. The only limitation is that the 2 computers should not be connected in a network... i.e, if you disable the network things should be just fine.

Thomas,
Don't get into complicated speculations:
You only have to return the license if you change over to a different machine because you want to buy a new one or replace the HD for some reason.
Otherwise, you can uninstall and reinstall as many times as you wish without messing up with any registration junk.
FWIW,
Sandra

[Edited at 2008-10-28 18:32]

Czech Republic
Member (2008)
English to Czech
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Oct 28, 2008

Dear Asa and Alexander, thanks for your comments.

Asa, good point, and I will be more then happy to take that as THE rule (at the moment I'm still in the demo mode so can't confirm on my side the dual license works without returns), but then I don't understand why the Trados EULA says something else (by defining HDD installation itself - whether on a PC that is turned on or off - as the "use"), as indicated above in the last sentence quoted from EULA. I asked Gareth in the other thread about this.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Two computers Oct 28, 2008

Tomas Mosler wrote:

... but then I don't understand why the Trados EULA says something else (by defining HDD installation itself - whether on a PC that is turned on or off - as the "use"), as indicated above in the last sentence quoted from EULA...

Hi Tomas,
nobody understands EULAs, not even their authors.
I've been using Trados 2007 on two computers successfully for about a year now. Basically, you can activate once instance of your software copy on your desktop and the other on your laptop computer.
If you need to use a different computer though, you will have to deactivate (return) one of your installations and activate your license on the third computer.
I hope I've not made it too complicated now...

Sandra& Kenneth  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 23:58
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
Clarification Oct 28, 2008

Alexander Chisholm wrote:

I understood that Trados could be installed on different PCs but that only one instance of the program could be running on the same network at any one time (fine!!).

If the activation code is installed on two computers that are connected in a network (such as a home network) you can still work on both computers, but not at the same time (i.e. you cannot have two instances of Trados running at the same time) With the dongle you still could work on one computer only.

Sandra

Czech Republic
Member (2008)
English to Czech
TOPIC STARTER
how to proceed? Oct 29, 2008

How do I actually re-use my license on a second computer?
I used the activation code I got after purchase on one station, but I see no new file I could simply copy somewhere on the other station.
Should I just go through the activation process on the other station as well and all will be fine (can't check it right now as it is in a different location)?
I thought SDL will find out the activation was already used elsewhere.
Thanks...

Edit: Sorry, the key thing - I have Trados 2007.

[Edited at 2008-10-29 19:34]

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Use License Manager Oct 29, 2008

Hi Tom,
proceed as follows to use your license on a third computer:
1. Use the License Manager to deactivate your license from the computer where you are currently using Trados.
2. Install Trados on a different computer and use your activation code to activate the second instance.

The whole process only takes a few seconds.
Simply copying a file from one computer to another won't work; I suspect the license file is collecting some information on your HDD and/or other hardware. There is no license file as you might know it from the previous versions of Trados. I believe the activation is stored in one of the DLLs.

Czech Republic
Member (2008)
English to Czech
TOPIC STARTER
OK Oct 29, 2008

Thanks, Stanislav, this confirms my suspicion.

Frankly, I was hoping for Sandra's words above to be the applicable rule for my case:
"You only have to return the license if you change over to a different machine because you want to buy a new one or replace the HD for some reason. Otherwise, you can uninstall and reinstall as many times as you wish without messing up with any registration junk."

But still better than to re/install everything every time.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados license - multiple installations not allowed??

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums