https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/119167-is_it_possible_to_convert_a_pdf_into_an_itd_file.html

Is it possible to convert a pdf into an itd file?
Thread poster: InGoodSpanish
InGoodSpanish
InGoodSpanish
Local time: 07:07
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 28, 2008

I have a power point presentation that has been converted onto a pdf file. Now I have to translate it but do not have the original ppt file. All I have is the pdf. Is there anyway I can convert the pdf into an itd file? I have SDL 2006 Professional version.
Thank you for your help!

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 12:07
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
you may try PDF2ID Oct 28, 2008

http://www.recosoft.com

Let the forum know if ti does or does not work for you.

HTH
Antonin

Translationfox
Translationfox  Identity Verified
Germany
French to German
+ ...
Thanks for this great hint! Oct 28, 2008

I have always wondered if there was such a tool - thanks a million!

Spiros Doikas
Spiros Doikas  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:07
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
OCR Oct 28, 2008

This is the best solution. OCR first and then use whatever tool to translate as PDF2ID will not convert text in images (common in pdf files) to editable text.

Note about PDF2ID:

Note: Layout reconstruction varies depending on document and may not be 100% accurate. PDF2ID does not support Type 3 fonts and user-defined dictionaries embedded in PDF files. Moreover, PDF2ID does not perform Optical Character Recognition/Analysis. Scanned pages of printouts stored in PDF docu
... See more
This is the best solution. OCR first and then use whatever tool to translate as PDF2ID will not convert text in images (common in pdf files) to editable text.

Note about PDF2ID:

Note: Layout reconstruction varies depending on document and may not be 100% accurate. PDF2ID does not support Type 3 fonts and user-defined dictionaries embedded in PDF files. Moreover, PDF2ID does not perform Optical Character Recognition/Analysis. Scanned pages of printouts stored in PDF documents are usually images. PDF2ID therefore treats such data as images. It also does not process PDF forms, graphics filters, 3D data in PDF files, JBIG2 images and certain graphics operations. JPEG2000 images are supported only in the Macintosh version of PDF2ID. Finally, PDF2ID doesn't process externally linked files or embedded fonts.
Collapse

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
OCR vs. PDF2ID Oct 28, 2008

Well, I own both FineReader and PDF2ID and sometimes the former is better and sometimes the latter when it comes to process pdf source files - here "better" is meant in the terms of amount of time and work you have to invest into getting a good-quality output file.

Based on extensive experience, I would not go as far as give absolute preference to either of these tools (but if it is sure the pdf was "printed" and not scanned, PDF2ID may be slightly more advantageous, depending on s
... See more
Well, I own both FineReader and PDF2ID and sometimes the former is better and sometimes the latter when it comes to process pdf source files - here "better" is meant in the terms of amount of time and work you have to invest into getting a good-quality output file.

Based on extensive experience, I would not go as far as give absolute preference to either of these tools (but if it is sure the pdf was "printed" and not scanned, PDF2ID may be slightly more advantageous, depending on some other aspects as well). Of course, your experience may be different from mine on this point.

Antonin
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to convert a pdf into an itd file?

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »