Repetition rates with Trados
Thread poster: Jana Novomeska

Jana Novomeska  Identity Verified
Malta
Local time: 14:21
English to Slovak
+ ...
Oct 29, 2008

I purchased TRADOS a couple of days ago. Could you tell me what rate you have for translating repetitions (in % of the "no match" rate)?

Thanks

Direct link Reply with quote

KSL Berlin  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:21
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Varies Oct 29, 2008

Anywhere between a proofreading rate (approx. 30% minimum) and the full rate.

Igor Indruch  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
Beware of TM Oct 29, 2008

But be careful when clients sends his own memory and analysis based on that memory - before accepting such job and calculation, check the memory. Quite often such memory is unusable, and you would therefore do some work for free...

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Repetitions are independent from TM Oct 29, 2008

You have repetitions even with a completly empty TM.
Repetition is the most secure part of the weighted word pricing, so - depending on project and customer - you could even vary the price from 0% to 100%.
Before someone screams - 0% are a good marketing argument if the rest is being paid in full for example.

Igor Indruch  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
Well, not exactly repetitions, but... Oct 29, 2008

The log looks lile that:

Context TM 0 0 0 0
Repetitions 27 76 1 0
100% 11 27 0 0
95% - 99% 0 0 0 0
85% - 94% 0 0 0 0
75% - 84% 1 4 0 0
50% - 74% 0 0 0 0
No Match 349 5,834 99 2
Total 388 5,941 100 2

If some part of text is "pretranslated" from memory, it appears in a percentage row and is taken from "no match". And if clients calculation is based on that and TM is unusable or of poor quality, then the translator works for free or lower rate. Since Jana is new Trados user I thought it would be a useful information for her. although it is little bit off topic...

Portugal
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Within limits Oct 29, 2008

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
Before someone screams - 0% are a good marketing argument if the rest is being paid in full for example.

I don't disagree with that, but you have to be careful with the volume involved. If it is only a little, I might be inclined to adopt your approach; if I have to read through pages of repetitive content to check it before delivery, I am not inclined to be generous.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Within limits, of course Oct 29, 2008

and the problem is, you will not get the grasp of this limit before you don't gather experience in this metier.
So you both are right - for an unexperienced user anything above 30% is right.

As for the repetitions itself - they really do not depend on TM. If you take an empty TM, they are still there. If you take customer TM, so repetitions represent only repetitive text, and everyting else is covered by the matches. While I fully support what you say about being careful with customers TM and not providing any discounts then, I still would argue about repetitions then. Repetition remains what it is - a repetitive text. And even if it was a 100% match before, once reviewed there it is ready when it appears again. So while you may have even double as much work with a bad 100% match than you would have with no match, you always have less work with repetitions.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
That's exactly the point Oct 29, 2008

Igor Indruch wrote:

But be careful when clients sends his own memory and analysis based on that memory - before accepting such job and calculation, check the memory. Quite often such memory is unusable, and you would therefore do some work for free...

I totally agree on that one. Unless you are told not to, you have to proof 100 % matches anyway which might take some time in many cases.

In fact, only a few clients can maintain high-quality translation memories. I usually get TMs with 70 % acceptable and 30 % total mess.

[Upraveno: 2008-10-29 19:23]

Portugal
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Less work with repetition? Oct 29, 2008

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
... So while you may have even double as much work with a bad 100% match than you would have with no match, you always have less work with repetitions.

In most cases, you're right, but I have had quite a number of projects with short strings where capitalization or the actual choice of words is very context-dependent, and the context changes several times in the document or project. In the end these segments also pre-program bad 100% matches for later.

You know what you are doing and are unlikely to get caught to any significant extent in this trap, but it's a point that may have to be hammered home with a newbie so that he/she doesn't get into unanticipated trouble. In the early stages, I would recommend a more conservative approach to estimating effort and invoicing, and only after one is has a very clear understanding of the processes and how to identify the character of repetitions in a text should your very good marketing suggestion be brought into play.

(There must be some tool out there that allows one to identify repetitive text quickly and make this determination when quoting. I know that DVX will allow me to do this, but I don't know what to suggest to a Trados user. Maybe one of the ApSIC Xbench functions covers this, but I'd have to check.)

Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Analysis of repetitions Oct 29, 2008

(There must be some tool out there that allows one to identify repetitive text quickly and make this determination when quoting. I know that DVX will allow me to do this, but I don't know what to suggest to a Trados user. Maybe one of the ApSIC Xbench functions covers this, but I'd have to check.)

You can export the the repetitions as RTF after a Trados analysis to see what they look like.

My favourite trick is to export the repetitions as a text file because this gives you the number of times each sentence is repeated.

This way you get an idea if you have 5000 repeated sentences are just one sentence used 5000 times or 2500 sentences repeated twice.

Also, it is important to keep in mind that the language pair has also an impact on the effort that repetitions involve.

Daniel

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
"if I have to read through pages ..." Oct 29, 2008

Kevin Lossner wrote:
If it is only a little, I might be inclined to adopt your approach; if I have to read through pages of repetitive content to check it before delivery, I am not inclined to be generous.

The zero rate is meaningful only when it's agreed (absolutely, metaphysically, swear-it-on-the-grave-of-your-parents) that it is CAT that will be doing the full repeats and not the translator. Zero and 100% the rest ... give it a thought. Those accepting it will a) trust their TM and b) know what bother the so-called fuzzies can eventually be. At the very least, it is a fair proposition.

[urejeno ob 2008-10-29 15:32]

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
some os memory is sometimes not good. Oct 29, 2008

Hi! if you wish to justify your role as LSP, this is when you have to show clear cards. BR Brandis

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
To define clearly the meaning of terms used Oct 29, 2008

This is the way the world ends

is five segments (stuttered T.S. Elliot). It is 5 x 100% repetitions if this segment were found in the TM, otherwise it is 1 x no-match and 4 x 100% repetitions.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Repetition rates with Trados

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs