Plug-ins / InDesign files in SDL Trados 2007 SP1
Thread poster: Alex Temmingh

Alex Temmingh
Local time: 02:37
Danish to Dutch
+ ...
Oct 30, 2008

Hi!

I have a problem with InDesign-files in SLD Trados 2007, SP1. I cannot save them as target (clean files). I know I need to download a file to fix this problem. But I wonder if I can solve it through my older version of Trados (6.0), which I still have on my PC. I know how to switch between the two versions, but I seem to have 'lost' the plug-ins in 6.0. I have had this problem before and there was a simple solution to activate the plug-ins windows again, but I cannot remember. There is field you have tick somewhere, but where... Someone who knows?

Thank you very much in advance!

Best regards,

Alex Temmingh

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-10-30 14:41]

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Please be more precise Oct 30, 2008

You do not need a certain plug-in for InDesign, but a filter.
The older version of Trados will not support more than InDesign 2.

What did you done? Translated an inx-file and cannot save it now or what?
Your posting is not very clear

Alex Temmingh
Danish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Plug-ins Oct 30, 2008

Hi again,

Yes, I translated an inx-file and cannot save this as target. An common problem with Trados, because SDL made a fix-file. This is however meant for SP2, while I have SP1. Because I am not sure I can use this, I tried to solve the problem on another way, by going back to Trados 6.0. However, there is my plug-ins window not active, and as far as I know I have to activate this first.

I hope I made myself clear now.

Best regards,
Alex

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You cannot translate inx with Trados 6 Oct 30, 2008

So just please remain in SDL Trados 2007 SP1 (why the heck don't you download SP2 - AFAIR it was for free) and check the translated file, if all tags are in place.
If yes, so there is a problem with the original inx file.
One should always test the process before starting to translate, ie open the inx in Tageditor, translate one or two sentences in it and try to save target. If it works, you are on the safe side.
Now you were able to open the inx in TE, so you also should be able to save it back as inx. Test is even now - open the inx file you had to translate, chose a sentence in the middle of the file, translate it from TM and try to save as target. If this works, so you have to correct your translation. If not, you should check the inx for problems.

Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 03:37
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
I will not argue with Jerzy Oct 30, 2008

as he's far bigger authority on the Trados than me, however one reason Trados (I have 7.56) wouldn't save targets for some file formats is not the absence of plugins (yes, error messages mention missing plugins), but the fact that Trados cannot find the source file.

Just try to save A COPY (because it will replace it) of your source translation file to the folder where your bilingual file is and try to save the target then. More often than not had worked for me.

HTH,

Uldis

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Of course Oct 30, 2008

and this is so obvious that I did not think about it!
Of course you MUST have the original file to be able to save the target.
And the original file must be in the same folder where the ttx is located.

The question is not precise enough
Neither we know the exact error message nor what he is in fact doing...

Alex Temmingh
Danish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
error message Oct 30, 2008

Thanks for your help so far.

I do have the source file (inx) and ttx file in the same folder (I always have).

The error message is 'content too large' (if I wait long enough). Before that TE is said to be inactive.

Alex

[Edited at 2008-10-30 21:46]

[Edited at 2008-10-30 21:47]

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I'm afraid you'll need to upgrade to SP2 Oct 30, 2008

There is a talisma article about this error (http://talisma.sdl.com) with the numbeer 1893

And I do not know a better solution either.
InDesign process is very demanding, and this starts with InDesign itself already.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
INX issues again Oct 31, 2008

Hi All,
upgrade to SP2 as suggested by Jerzy is the first step. However, I don't think it will help. INX files are a notoriously known problem, so I suggest using a workaround:

1. Export your TM into TMX format;
2. Download and install MemoQ demo (fully functional for 3 months);
3. Import your TM into MemoQ;
4. Open the INX file with MemoQ;
5. Have the INX file translated with your TM;
6. Restore the translated INX from MemoQ.

This workaround will work with the other CAT tools (across, DejaVu etc.) too. It takes some time, but it WORKS.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Plug-ins / InDesign files in SDL Trados 2007 SP1

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums