Does anyone know how to access Multiterm Extract after having paid for it?
Thread poster: Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:03
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Oct 30, 2008

I finally bought a license for Multiterm Extract today, but am deeply disappointed, because I have no access to it. Downloading it is not an option, it seems. I have already tried that. I have tried it with both the direct link and also, earlier today, with one underneath which says "Download from ftp site". However, the latter link is no longer available this evening.

With either link, whenever I start to download it, it shows a download speed of 6 to 12 kilobytes per second and gi
... See more
I finally bought a license for Multiterm Extract today, but am deeply disappointed, because I have no access to it. Downloading it is not an option, it seems. I have already tried that. I have tried it with both the direct link and also, earlier today, with one underneath which says "Download from ftp site". However, the latter link is no longer available this evening.

With either link, whenever I start to download it, it shows a download speed of 6 to 12 kilobytes per second and gives an expected download time of between 20 and 30 hours. This is simply too long for me. Also, it seems to break off, of its own accord, after 20 minutes. If I had known it would not be possible to access the software, I would not have bought it.

Has anyone found a solution to this, ever, i.e. a real way to gain access to the software?

Many thanks in advance.

Astrid
Collapse

sivtufte
sivtufte  Identity Verified
Norway
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Multiterm and connecting... Oct 30, 2008

Hello.
What does your error message say? (- as you can google almost anything!)

Have you tried to open the termbase IN the MT? There will be a message saying something "like Numbers of entries" indicating access. If it's "0" you could try uploading your Thermbase to TM again.

Best wishes in solving it

Astrid Elke Witte
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I think you misunderstood Oct 30, 2008

I just bought a licence for Multiterm Extract and I could not find a way to download it in a reasonable length of time. Apparently it is too big to download in a reasonable time. The note on the computer screen gives estimated download times of between 20 and 30 hours. That estimate is for a package consisting of Multiterm Extract and SDL Phrasefinder combined. I simply cannot believe that everyone who has ever downloaded that package had to leave the computer switched on for 20 to 30 hours cont... See more
I just bought a licence for Multiterm Extract and I could not find a way to download it in a reasonable length of time. Apparently it is too big to download in a reasonable time. The note on the computer screen gives estimated download times of between 20 and 30 hours. That estimate is for a package consisting of Multiterm Extract and SDL Phrasefinder combined. I simply cannot believe that everyone who has ever downloaded that package had to leave the computer switched on for 20 to 30 hours continuously in order to download it in the background. I do not have patience for that long, and also it broke off after a while and gave me an error message.

I eventually realised that I already have Multiterm Extract on my computer; I only needed the licence.

I will write to SDL tomorrow and ask if it is possible to download SDL Phrasefinder on its own, to complete the package.

Still, I cannot believe that the problem of this extremely long download time has never been addressed before, or that other people simply put up with it taking 30 hours to download.

Astrid
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Did you read the message in your account? Oct 30, 2008

We are experiencing technical difficulties with our download centre and it is not possible to download SDL Trados 2007 Suite updates. We are working on resolving this issue as soon as possible.

Maybe you just try tomorrow?

Astrid Elke Witte
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, I saw the note Oct 30, 2008

Thanks, Jerzy,

I saw the note, but I did not know it meant that it was not possible to download Multiterm Extract.

Astrid

sivtufte
sivtufte  Identity Verified
Norway
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Of course Oct 30, 2008

I thought it was the grand opening making problems, my mistake.

Hoping, though, it doesn't cause you problems in your work tonight.
Best luck to you.

Siv

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
The note is quite clear Oct 30, 2008

"we are experiencing difficulties with our download centre"
This means dowloading of programs will make problems.

Astrid Elke Witte
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for wanting to help, Siv! Oct 30, 2008

It is much appreciated.

Have a nice evening, what is left of it!

Astrid

Edith Goebel
Edith Goebel  Identity Verified
German to Danish
+ ...
Same problem Oct 31, 2008

Good to know I'm not the only one.

I have been trying to download a patch from the download centre (136 MB; estimated download time 8 hours!), and I too got an error message after some minutes.

So I'll just have to be patient and try again tomorrow.

Edith

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
SDL Support Team... Oct 31, 2008

Hello All,

We are delighted to announce that SDL Trados 2007 Suite, the latest version of SDL Trados 2007, is now available to download. All SDL PSMA holders, LSP Partners and customers who purchased SDL Trados 2007 after 1st September 2008 automatically receive a free upgrade to this exciting new release.

SDL Trados 2007 Suite provides:

Speed - Automated translation (beta) integrated into your translation software environment
Innovation - Incorpor
... See more
Hello All,

We are delighted to announce that SDL Trados 2007 Suite, the latest version of SDL Trados 2007, is now available to download. All SDL PSMA holders, LSP Partners and customers who purchased SDL Trados 2007 after 1st September 2008 automatically receive a free upgrade to this exciting new release.

SDL Trados 2007 Suite provides:

Speed - Automated translation (beta) integrated into your translation software environment
Innovation - Incorporated technology for visual software translation of user interfaces
Future-proof - New support for the latest file types, including Office 2007 & QuickSilver 3.0

How can I obtain my license of SDL Trados 2007 Suite?

1 - Login to your SDL account area

2 - Click on "My Downloads"

3 - Please ensure you are using SDL Trados 2007 Service Pack 2 (SP2). If you have not yet installed SP2, you can find it in the "Latest Updates" section of your downloads

4 - Scroll to the "Click the Product Name to show the files available to download" area of the page, situated just below the "Latest Updates" section

5 - Expand the file for the relevant product name to locate the patch installer, for example "Upgrade from SDL Trados 2006 to SDL Trados 2007" (note you do not need to uninstall your copy of SDL Trados 2007 SP2)

6 - You will find the SDL Trados 2007 Suite Patch (approx. 200 MB in size).

Please note that SDL Trados 2007 Suite Patch is not located within the "Latest Updates" area.

If you have any installation issues, please contact us via the "My Support" area of your SDL account.

Keep shaping future product releases!
So that we continue to improve your experience with SDL Trados solutions, our product suggestions portal - ideas.sdltrados.com - allows you to post ideas on features you would like us to develop in our products. Please continue to add your feedback to help shape us future releases.

Many Thanks,

SDL TRADOS Technologies
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Shaping Oct 31, 2008

SDL Support wrote:
Keep shaping future product releases!
So that we continue to improve your experience with SDL Trados solutions, our product suggestions portal - ideas.sdltrados.com - allows you to post ideas on features you would like us to develop in our products. Please continue to add your feedback to help shape us future releases.

We keep shaping, SDL keeps ignoring. Sorry, Gareth, but how many times have we urged for adding the "Open previous segment" feature, to name but one case?
I understand that it is impossible to incorporate all the users' ideas immediately and in a single update, but I also believe this particular one shouldn't be that difficult.
Or do we want to release a few more paid updates to rip Trados users off a bit more money? Sorry for the sarcasm, but this is exactly how I feel about it.

[Upraveno: 2008-10-31 13:10]

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:03
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
We are getting heavy Oct 31, 2008

SDL Support wrote:

Hello All,

- You will find the SDL Trados 2007 Suite Patch (approx. 200 MB in size).

SDL TRADOS Technologies

200 MB! Is that for real?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Try a download manager? Nov 1, 2008

Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:
With either link, whenever I start to download it, it shows a download speed of 6 to 12 kilobytes per second and gives an expected download time of between 20 and 30 hours.

Not sure if this will help, but try a download manager (might take some fiddling if you need to put in a username/password). An open source solution: wxDownload Fast. A closed source solution: FlashGet.

I can't find Phrasefinder on any public torrent, though.

Astrid Elke Witte
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the tip Nov 1, 2008

Thank you for the tip, Samuel! I did not know that such a thing as a download manager existed. That's very interesting. I will look into it - in any case for future downloads if the one that is in progress just now finally works. I have at the moment had it downloading since about 6 o'clock and it is 45% downloaded and has not broken off yet. It appears to be somewhat faster than normal, since this is a morning of a public holiday. However, 5 to 6 hours in total is still a long time.

... See more
Thank you for the tip, Samuel! I did not know that such a thing as a download manager existed. That's very interesting. I will look into it - in any case for future downloads if the one that is in progress just now finally works. I have at the moment had it downloading since about 6 o'clock and it is 45% downloaded and has not broken off yet. It appears to be somewhat faster than normal, since this is a morning of a public holiday. However, 5 to 6 hours in total is still a long time.

Astrid
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does anyone know how to access Multiterm Extract after having paid for it?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »