Mobile menu

Compatibility Trados/Word/Vista
Thread poster: marina callegari

marina callegari  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:17
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Nov 3, 2008

I have recently bought a new laptop with Vista.
I normally work with DVX and use Trados only for pretranslating and then doing the cleanup when clients want both clean/unclean versions.
I have:
SDL Trados Translator's Workbanch 7.1.0.719 (Build 719)
Vista Home premium SP1
Word 2007 (I have installed the trial version of Office 2007 Home and student).

I have soon discovered that I cannot pretranslate nor do the clean up with this configuration. Reading the forums I have realized that Trados 7 doesn't work with Word 2007 so, as far as I have understood, I have two options:
1) Upgrade to SDL trados 2007
2) Try to buyor Office 2003 (that seems to be no longer on sale; I have found a seller on e-bay) instead of buying Office 2007 at the expiring date of the trial version.

I would rather go for the second choice, since I am not willing to spend 200 euro to buy a program that I do not really use, but before buying Office 2003 I would like to have confirmation that the configuration Trados 7/Word 2003/Vista will work.

Thank you in advance for your help


Direct link Reply with quote
 

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:17
English
SDL Trados Support... Nov 3, 2008

Hello Marina,

I would recommend you upgrade your software to SDL Trados 2007 because Trados 7.1 is not fully compatible with Windows Vista.

If you would like some more information then please contact productsales@sdl.com

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Marcelo Silveyra
United States
Local time: 04:17
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
I think it works Nov 3, 2008

You might want to search the forums for more information, but I'm pretty sure Vista/Office 2003/Trados 7 works just fine (I use the same combination on my laptop, except for the fact that I have Office XP instead of Office 2003). Just remember to install both MultiTerm and Trados with the "Run as administrator" option (sorry, I don't know what it's called in Italian) by right-clicking on their respective setup files and then choosing the option.

------------------------------------------

SDL Support wrote:

Hello Marina,

I would recommend you upgrade your software to SDL Trados 2007 because Trados 7.1 is not fully compatible with Windows Vista.

If you would like some more information then please contact productsales@sdl.com

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team


With all due respect Gareth, could you please let us know how exactly Trados 7.1 is not compatible with Windows Vista (assuming we're using Office XP or 2003, of course)? I and many other users on Proz have been using both together flawlessly for months!

[Edited at 2008-11-03 10:17]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Maria Rosa Fontana  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 13:17
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
I works on my computer Nov 3, 2008

marina callegari wrote:

before buying Office 2003 I would like to have confirmation that the configuration Trados 7/Word 2003/Vista will work.



I have this configuration on my new laptop, and it works without a problem.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:17
English
SDL Support Team... Nov 3, 2008

Hello Marcelo,

That's a good question! Trados 7.1 was released before Windows Vista and therefore was not designed or tested to run on Windows Vista. I appreciate that many of you are able to run Trados 7.1 (and SDL Trados 2006) on Windows Vista. However, for the reasons stated above this setup is not recommended and will therefore not be supported by the SDL Trados support team.

I hope this answers your question.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team


Direct link Reply with quote
 

marina callegari  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:17
Member (2004)
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Trados 7.1 should be enough for me Nov 3, 2008

SDL Support wrote:

Hello Marcelo,

That's a good question! Trados 7.1 was released before Windows Vista and therefore was not designed or tested to run on Windows Vista. I appreciate that many of you are able to run Trados 7.1 (and SDL Trados 2006) on Windows Vista. However, for the reasons stated above this setup is not recommended and will therefore not be supported by the SDL Trados support team.

I hope this answers your question.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team


As I wrote this morning, I am going to use Trados just for pretranslating, since I always work on DVX for the actual translation process, therefore I hope I won't need to upgrade to SDL Trados 2007. For DVX users is unthinkable to spend money for upgrading one's CAT!


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 13:17
English to Czech
+ ...
Or downgrade Nov 3, 2008

marina callegari wrote:

SDL Support wrote:

Hello Marcelo,

That's a good question! Trados 7.1 was released before Windows Vista and therefore was not designed or tested to run on Windows Vista. I appreciate that many of you are able to run Trados 7.1 (and SDL Trados 2006) on Windows Vista. However, for the reasons stated above this setup is not recommended and will therefore not be supported by the SDL Trados support team.

I hope this answers your question.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team


As I wrote this morning, I am going to use Trados just for pretranslating, since I always work on DVX for the actual translation process, therefore I hope I won't need to upgrade to SDL Trados 2007. For DVX users is unthinkable to spend money for upgrading one's CAT!


Alternatively, you may choose to downgrade your OS to WinXP (which I can only recommend) and your MS Office to 2003 (v. 11).


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:17
French to Polish
+ ...
Some advantages... Nov 4, 2008

marina callegari wrote:

I wrote this morning, I am going to use Trados just for pretranslating, since I always work on DVX for the actual translation process, therefore I hope I won't need to upgrade to SDL Trados 2007. For DVX users is unthinkable to spend money for upgrading one's CAT! [/quote]

As a proud DVX user, I see some advantages of the upgrade to Trados 2007 etc.
First, the Office 2007 filters, if you use Trados - DVX - Trados workflow.
Second, some filters (e.g, the legacy Word filter for TE) were improved.

But in fact, most well known bugs of the precedent editions are still here in the SDL crapware suite, especially, Multiterm is still... ehm... impredictable...

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2008-11-04 02:09]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:17
French to Polish
+ ...
No matter... Nov 4, 2008

SDL Support wrote:

That's a good question! Trados 7.1 was released before Windows Vista and therefore was not designed or tested to run on Windows Vista. I appreciate that many of you are able to run Trados 7.1 (and SDL Trados 2006) on Windows Vista. However, for the reasons stated above this setup is not recommended and will therefore not be supported by the SDL Trados support team.


As you know, SDL Trados 2007 is still incompatible with the UAC implemented a year ago in Vista so I dont's see a real difference between a previous version and SDLT 2007... "desgned and tested to run on Vista"... LOL...

Cheers
GG


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Compatibility Trados/Word/Vista

Advanced search


Translation news related to SDL Trados





Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »



All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs